Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/11/8...ed-development

Quote:
  • Citizens are paying attention to how public money is (supposed to be) spent
  • Sidewalk cafes could become more prevalent
  • Transit expansion could finally be on the way
  • Impending growth is definitely on the way
  • People are fired up about traffic
  • Multiple pieces of the Beltline are under development, and a regional trail network is beginning to look realistic
  • Intown architecture, in some cases, is becoming more interesting
  • The city’s largest green space is under construction
  • City leaders are planning to shell out, at last, for significant mobility infrastructure enhancements
  • Atlanta United kicks ass (even when they blow it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Be somewhat excited about Metro Atlanta, because the soccer team's good, and some kind of transit expansion might could possibly be on the way before 2040.

And by transit of course we mean a short extension of the 5 mph tourist streetcar, and even more freeway lanes for cars, but that buses can also use. Still completely neglecting to expand the heavy rail system anywhere ever. So that'll be good.

Lots of PDF files, though!

Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
I am pretty excited about Atlanta's future. Lots of good things happening.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
May be add a point about how the suburbs are evolving from cookie cutter subdivisions and office parks to vibrant cities with decent shopping, dining and entertainment options.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:33 PM

272 posts, read 271,775 times
You either have to like it as it is, or move, because it's not changing for the next 50 years. It will wear on you constantly to wish that it change any faster. Believe me, I've been there.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:10 PM

164 posts, read 170,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
You either have to like it as it is, or move, because it's not changing for the next 50 years. It will wear on you constantly to wish that it change any faster. Believe me, I've been there.
For better or worse rapid change seems to be one of the defining traits of the city though. 1969 was 50 years ago. Hank Aaron was carrying the Braves to the playoffs in that year. Hippies battled police in Midtown. The airport was called the "Atlanta Airport" and had 2 (maybe 3?) runways.

My predictions for 2069:
1) Mercedes-Benz Stadium will still be standing (but there will be a movement to tear it down in the name of "progress")
2) The Falcons will have won a Super Bowl
3) Hartsfield-Jackson will include a Spaceport

#2 seems the most unrealistic.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post

I couldn't tell if the OP's post was satire. I could only see maybe 3 I took seriously.

This is what I feel positive about Atlanta: The highway roads and local roads for the most part are spacious. They are also in pretty good condition in comparison to other major cities I have been to. Keep in mind I don't drive downtown too often and so my opinion might be somewhat biased.

The places I want to hang out in Atlanta have parking and/or I can use Marta.

Metro Atlanta's population continues to grow and I am glad for personal/political reasons.

I still think Atlanta has some pretty good weather in spite of the hot summers.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:14 AM

654 posts, read 527,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
For better or worse rapid change seems to be one of the defining traits of the city though. 1969 was 50 years ago. Hank Aaron was carrying the Braves to the playoffs in that year. Hippies battled police in Midtown. The airport was called the "Atlanta Airport" and had 2 (maybe 3?) runways.

My predictions for 2069:
1) Mercedes-Benz Stadium will still be standing (but there will be a movement to tear it down in the name of "progress")
2) The Falcons will have won a Super Bowl
3) Hartsfield-Jackson will include a Spaceport

#2 seems the most unrealistic.
32 NFL teams.... Only one team per year wins. Be a below average franchise like the falcons and you can easily go 50 years without a win.

And calling the falcons below average is a compliment.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
At least the Falcons don'y have it as bad as some teams.

I'd bet my life savings that they win a Super Bowl before the Lions.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I couldn't tell if the OP's post was satire. I could only see maybe 3 I took seriously.

This is what I feel positive about Atlanta: The highway roads and local roads for the most part are spacious. They are also in pretty good condition in comparison to other major cities I have been to. Keep in mind I don't drive downtown too often and so my opinion might be somewhat biased.

The places I want to hang out in Atlanta have parking and/or I can use Marta.

Metro Atlanta's population continues to grow and I am glad for personal/political reasons.

I still think Atlanta has some pretty good weather in spite of the hot summers.
Yeah. Its ok to be optomistic about Atlanta's future, but that was a REALLY weak list. Most of its, "Something might happen-people are talking about it!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta