U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 01:11 PM

801 posts, read 513,897 times

Advertisements

As someone who crosses this bridge on a daily basis, I'm getting concerned about the stability of this bridge. The right turn lane coming from West Marietta has been blocked off for months because there is a giant hole at the edge of the bridge. It doesn't help that huge 18 wheelers go across it every minute.

Someone recently posted on the reddit Atlanta page with the same concerns. The city doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone on here have any insight on this? Shouldn't this be more urgent. I would love to see the bridge be rebuilt and prepped for the Beltline trail that will run through there one day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 04:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 2,416,254 times
I share your concern. Our "leaders" should be prioritizing infrastructure investment. This kind of thing can be seen all over the country.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 3,015,533 times
I think you should co tact atlanta public works and GDOT and go to a local tv station and ask them to call attention to it.

Despite $30-50-70 billion in new development which translates into tens of millions in new tax revenue, our city streets have never been worse.

14th st and spring st have been repacked and that about it other than peachtree rd in buckhead in the last 5 years.

They have enough money to repave the streets in gold, and piedmont ave through ansley is turning back into dirt .
Welcome to Atlanta, where if you want something to get done you’ve got to do it yourself.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 5,025,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
As someone who crosses this bridge on a daily basis, I'm getting concerned about the stability of this bridge. The right turn lane coming from West Marietta has been blocked off for months because there is a giant hole at the edge of the bridge. It doesn't help that huge 18 wheelers go across it every minute.

Someone recently posted on the reddit Atlanta page with the same concerns. The city doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone on here have any insight on this? Shouldn't this be more urgent. I would love to see the bridge be rebuilt and prepped for the Beltline trail that will run through there one day.
It wasn't even rated as structurally deficient as of last year, but that bridge definitely looks like it needs attention.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:51 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,168,625 times
Quote:

I've been wondering about this bridge for months. I also go over it on a very frequent basis. The loss of the right turn lane off Marietta Street really makes things suck in the afternoons. I've been looking to see why it was blocked off, and couldn't see see anything. But your photo shows why. And you're right: absolutely nothing has been done in the past several months. It seems like they just threw some cones up and walked away.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,677,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I've been wondering about this bridge for months. I also go over it on a very frequent basis. The loss of the right turn lane off Marietta Street really makes things suck in the afternoons. I've been looking to see why it was blocked off, and couldn't see see anything. But your photo shows why. And you're right: absolutely nothing has been done in the past several months. It seems like they just threw some cones up and walked away.
They could put a metal plate over it and problem solved right?

Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They could put a metal plate over it and problem solved right?
And then when that metal plate shifted, they could just stack another metal plate on top of it!

Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,677,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
And then when that metal plate shifted, they could just stack another metal plate on top of it!
That's good ol Atlanta outdoing Atlanta for ya!

Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM

30,965 posts, read 30,154,715 times
Quote:

That looks extremely scary. I'd stay off that thing for the time being.

I'd also take some pictures and blow them up. Then take them down do a city council meeting and sign up to speak. Then show the pictures and address this concern briefly and pointedy. Tell them it is an urgent matter of public safety and that a bridge failure will be catastrophic and will likely result in the loss of lives.

I'd email the photos and a description of the problem to the mayor and all members of the council.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That's good ol Atlanta outdoing Atlanta for ya!
You mean like this? This is how a metal plate in front of our neighborhood was fixed when I reported it to 311. They just stacked another plate on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Marietta Blvd bridge at West Marietta is falling apart-img_5921.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta