Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! So I'll be visiting Atlanta for the first time this weekend and I'm pretty excited. I'm visiting because I'm really into the entertainment industry/Nature and my sights have been set on either Los Angeles or Atlanta for a potential move in 2020.

1. What's the easiest way to get to Stone Mountain without a car? I was thinking I'd take the blue line to the end and then catch an uber, but if there's an easier way please let me know.

2. Is there anything Atlanta is famous for that I could take back home as a souvenir? For example in Chicago I brought back a bunch of popcorn from Garrett Popcorn Shop. Anything similar?

3. Any suggestions for places to photograph Fall colors? Our autumn was short lived in Denver this year due to early snowfall so it would be nice get some pictures for my blog. Also, what are the best places to view the Chattahoochee River? I'll be alone so a place that's somewhat public would be nice.

4. Is there somewhere that I can get great views of the city? Like an observation deck Downtown?

5. Any suggestions for places to eat? I love southern/soul food. I'd also like to try any local chains or fast casual restaurants. Any recommendations would be great.

6. Crime- I'll be staying in Perimeter Center so I'm not too concerned with crime in that area (As I've been told that it's relatively safe). But I'll be using MARTA the entire stay and I was just wondering if it's usually pretty safe? How about Downtown/Midtown?

7. Are there any film studio tours that I could take? Or anything like the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Anything involving Atlanta's entertainment industry would be nice to visit.

I know it's a lot to ask but please just answer what you can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 10:37 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
1. You've probably hit upon the best way to get to Stone Mountain without a car.

2. Perhaps a copy of Gone with the Wind? Atlanta really doesn't have an equivalent of Garrett's.

3. Try Piedmont Park for some fall color; however, not sure how much colorful foliage remains at this time of year. If you are adventurous, you could rent a Zip Car and drive up into the foothills of the Appalachians in North Georgia. Usually full of beautiful fall foliage.

4. Go to the observation lounge (the Sundial restaurant) at the top of Atlanta's iconic Peachtree Westin hotel in downtown. It rotates every hour or so and is one of the best vantages to see the city.

5. Dine at Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce de Leon. Iconically southern.

6. MARTA is as safe as any transit system. Like anywhere in the world, simply stay conscious of your surroundings and don't go wandering alone late at night.

7. Other posters will certainly have answers for you on this one.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Hey everyone! So I'll be visiting Atlanta for the first time this weekend and I'm pretty excited. I'm visiting because I'm really into the entertainment industry/Nature and my sights have been set on either Los Angeles or Atlanta for a potential move in 2020.

1. What's the easiest way to get to Stone Mountain without a car? I was thinking I'd take the blue line to the end and then catch an uber, but if there's an easier way please let me know.

2. Is there anything Atlanta is famous for that I could take back home as a souvenir? For example in Chicago I brought back a bunch of popcorn from Garrett Popcorn Shop. Anything similar?

3. Any suggestions for places to photograph Fall colors? Our autumn was short lived in Denver this year due to early snowfall so it would be nice get some pictures for my blog. Also, what are the best places to view the Chattahoochee River? I'll be alone so a place that's somewhat public would be nice.

4. Is there somewhere that I can get great views of the city? Like an observation deck Downtown?

5. Any suggestions for places to eat? I love southern/soul food. I'd also like to try any local chains or fast casual restaurants. Any recommendations would be great.

6. Crime- I'll be staying in Perimeter Center so I'm not too concerned with crime in that area (As I've been told that it's relatively safe). But I'll be using MARTA the entire stay and I was just wondering if it's usually pretty safe? How about Downtown/Midtown?

7. Are there any film studio tours that I could take? Or anything like the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Anything involving Atlanta's entertainment industry would be nice to visit.

I know it's a lot to ask but please just answer what you can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1. Sorry, I'm of no help on this one

2. hmmm.....the Varsity (burger joint), world of coke museum? Nothing from a transportable food perspective

3. Go to Chattahoochee coffee company, which is on the river. It's closed to the public on weekends, so go on a weekday, it's beautiful. Also try the Roswell Riverwalk (free). If you're willing to drive 90 minutes, you can head up to the mountains. Can also drive up Kennesaw Mountain

4. Near the Georgia Tech Campus and Coca Cola headquarters is a great view of BOTH downtown and midtown

5. Local lowbrow chains: Chick-fil-A, Pita Mediterranean, Waffle House, the Varsity. Southern Food: Salt Factory Pub, South City Kitchen, Catfish Hox, Mary Mac's tea room, Busy Bee, Hattie B's, JCT Kitchen

6. Midtown is safe, might have your occasional homeless. Downtown is safe, although the southern half can be a little sketchy. In VERY lose general terms, most of the areas to be avoided are south of I-20. So MARTA will pass through some rough areas just past the airport, but you are safe riding the trains. Perimeter is white collar, corporate, and safe.

7. I know there are bus tours that go to movie sites. Tyler Perry just opened his huge new studio. There may be studio tours (third rail, tyler perry, etc.), I'm not sure. My wife does a lot of extra work, which you could also apply for and potentially get in that way too.

Best of luck and have a fun trip!

Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM

163 posts, read 138,444 times
If you're getting around mainly by MARTA and are downtown, try Sweet Auburn (Municipal) Market for local eats. Walk from Peachtree Center station, or hop on the streetcar.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:

sounds like the best way, but it might be cheaper renting a car!

naked dogs and FOs don't keep well (the Varsity-plain hot dog and frosted orange)

Druid Hills near Emory University-Springdale, Oakdale, Lullwater and Clifton Roads. Its not too far from the Candler Park MARTA stop (couple miles with some bus options). For the Chattahoochee (which also should have good colors)https://www.nps.gov/chat/index.htm I would recommend Island Ford or Palisades units

Lots of people like to see the sunset on Highland Blvd. above Freedom Parkway. There's also a nice view near Emory University and the CDC on Clifton Road at Houston Road.

As for food, Chuy's isn't local, but its pretty good Mexican food very close to Perimeter Center. In addition to Mary Mac's for southern as someone else mentioned, there is the Collonade on Cheshire Bridge--as long as you don't mind being a youngster (at least if you are 50s or younger).

Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a_Georgia.html

Old 11-15-2019, 12:23 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Jackson Street Bridge is the best photo spot. You can walk to it from downtown.

I would take the Baker-Highland Connector and not the Irwin Street route. Irwin Street can get a bit sketchy under the highway overpasses.

https://www.ajc.com/news/how-take-go...8RnO5zhsFDWWO/

Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

3. Try Piedmont Park for some fall color; however, not sure how much colorful foliage remains at this time of year. If you are adventurous, you could rent a Zip Car and drive up into the foothills of the Appalachians in North Georgia. Usually full of beautiful fall foliage.

Enjoy your visit!
Unfortunately for the visitor, most of the color is gone way up here in the mountains too. Our temps have been down in the teens (odd for us!) and the wind we've had recently along with the dry fall means we didn't have much "color" this year. The tree's here look like mid-December already..... Peak was about 2 weeks ago......

Old 11-15-2019, 06:13 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Jackson Street Bridge is the best photo spot. You can walk to it from downtown.

I would take the Baker-Highland Connector and not the Irwin Street route. Irwin Street can get a bit sketchy under the highway overpasses.

https://www.ajc.com/news/how-take-go...8RnO5zhsFDWWO/
I also like the view from the Sundial, atop the Westin Peachtree Plaza. It can help with getting your bearings, and also gives perspective on our amazing tree canopy and the expansiveness of the Metro.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:33 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Welcome! The weather is crappy today but should be nice and sunny Sat and Sun.

Quote:

There's a market/bakery called Alon's right across from Perimeter Mall. It's been a while since I went there but I do recall they had some local products that were very "Georgia" -- peach preserves, pecans and such.

Also, Savannah's Candy (as in Savannah, GA) is famous for their southern pralines and pecan treats. There is a store at the Atlanta Airport in concourses B and C.

Quote:
3. Any suggestions for places to photograph Fall colors? Our autumn was short lived in Denver this year due to early snowfall so it would be nice get some pictures for my blog.
If you don't mind a bit of a walk (or a quick Uber ride), Murphey Candler Park is not too far from Perimeter Center off Ashford-Dunwoody. It has trails and a lake. I also like Brook Run Park in Dunwoody. They have some nice woodsy trails and lots of deer.

Quote:

Waffle House!!! Very Atlanta. There are many locations. Get the pecan waffle.

Quote:

Safe, but like anywhere stay aware.

Quote:

There's an interesting exhibit of the Georgia film industry happening right now at the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum. I recommend you check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta