Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 05:46 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find the original thread:

Quote:
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. will carry out a massive project in metro Atlanta.

Goodyear will occupy a new 1.5-million-square-foot warehouse and distribution center in Newnan, Ga. It's unclear how many workers Goodyear will hire for the facility, but a similar project in Texas employed over 150...

...Goodyear chose to develop the new project on a former golf course that has been repurposed into the Orchard Hills Industrial Park at Interstate 85 and Georgia Highway 16. The site has been marketed by industrial real estate giant Prologis Inc. and Colliers International...
Continue at link below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...Z2cEd0dkQybSJ9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I guess where there rubber meets the road, Newnan is gaining more traction!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 AM

The official job count has been reported and this development is projected to create 250 jobs.

https://thecitizen.com/2019/11/24/ne...ring-250-jobs/

Old 11-26-2019, 08:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I'm not sure how to feel about converting a golf course into a tire warehouse.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not sure how to feel about converting a golf course into a tire warehouse.
The golf course wasn't profitable.

According to the Newnan Times-Herald, no incentives were given to Goodyear.

https://times-herald.com/news/2019/1...hills-property

Old 11-26-2019, 11:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I just mean in terms of a golf course... while really not good for the environment because of its irrigation needs.. at least isn't a visual blight. I don't know very many people who would be upset living next to a golf course, or seeing one as they drive by.

A tire warehouse, on the other hand....

Turning it into a massive park or development like Lenox Park, which is the former Standard Country Club in Buckhead, would have been a much preferred option, I would think.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:17 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I just mean in terms of a golf course... while really not good for the environment because of its irrigation needs.. at least isn't a visual blight. I don't know very many people who would be upset living next to a golf course, or seeing one as they drive by.

A tire warehouse, on the other hand....

Turning it into a massive park or development like Lenox Park, which is the former Standard Country Club in Buckhead, would have been a much preferred option, I would think.
I agree that turning that golf course into a big development like Lenox Park (which was converted out of the former Standard Country Club as you noted) would have been a much more preferred option.

But the site of the proposed Goodyear tire warehouse in question (on the northeast corner of the junction where GA State Route 16 passes over Interstate 85 in a more sparsely developed part of the metro area on the south side of Newnan in far-outer suburban/exurban south-central Coweta County) is not in an area that is likely to attract the kinds of heavy upscale development (corporate offices, upscale hotels, upscale apartments, etc.) that an area like Buckhead/Brookhaven (with its status as a major business/shopping hub for much of the Southeastern U.S.) may uniquely be able to attract.

Landing a development like a Goodyear tire warehouse is at least a pretty decent deal for a site like a former golf course next to a freeway junction where a state highway crosses over but does not interchange with an Interstate highway in a more sparsely developed part of an outer-suburban/exurban like south Newnan and south-central Coweta County.

(… The nearest interstate interchange is located not too far down the road and around the corner (about a little bit over a mile or so from the site in question) at I-85 Exit 41 and US 29/US 27A.)

Plus, Coweta County government is probably just happy that they'll be able to receive some type of meaningful tax revenue off of the site of a former golf course.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:30 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I agree that turning that golf course into a big development like Lenox Park (which was converted out of the former Standard Country Club as you noted) would have been a much more preferred option.
I knew before I even looked at the username that Born2Roll must be back! Welcome back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta