Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:10 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to see a map of where most airport customers come from. I'm talking about people who live in metro Atlanta and go to the airport, not folks on connecting flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 10:18 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would be interesting to see a map of where most airport customers come from. I'm talking about people who live in metro Atlanta and go to the airport, not folks on connecting flights.
I agree that it would be interesting to see a map of where most local airport customers come from in metro Atlanta.

But with a majority of metro Atlanta’s population and development (both residential and commercial development) being located north of I-20, we already know that probably a majority of local airport customers come from the part of the Atlanta metropolitan area and region that is located north of I-20.

We also know that large major business districts (most of which are located north of I-20 and include areas like Downtown, Midtown, Emory, Buckhead, Cumberland, Perimeter Center, Alpharetta, Gainesville, etc, etc) generate much if not most of the airport’s local business travel.

And we know that affluent residential areas (most of which are located north of I-20 and include areas like Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, East Cobb, Dunwoody, North Fulton County, South Forsyth County, etc.) generate much if not most of the airport’s local non-business travel.

Though, we also know that the rise of the Atlanta region’s television and film production industry has helped to generate an increased amount of local business travel from Southside interests over the last decade.

We basically already know where in the Atlanta metropolitan area and region the airport’s local airport customers are coming from.

But even knowing that most of the region’s local airport customers come from Northside areas located north of I-20 very likely still could not do much to help a second major airport on the Northside become a reality at this point in time.

That’s because of the most likely and most assured opposition of Northside residents (many of whom are highly affluent and have abundant financial resources and powerful political connections) to any airport that would be built anywhere remotely near where they live.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:43 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
I'm gonna raise hell if they rip up the Dawson Forest! That place is a little slice of heaven, though most people don't know it cause they're too busy going to the mountains that you still can't get views off of. Just enjoy the flora peeps.

I really don't think Atlanta needs a second airport though, I feel like this would be Braves stadium 2.0. With all the virtual meetings and $100 a barrel oil air traffic isn't exactly certain. Maybe for starters they could make it easier to get to the existing airport, like have a train that goes outside the perimeter.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:53 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I agree that it would be interesting to see a map of where most local airport customers come from in metro Atlanta.

But with a majority of metro Atlanta’s population and development (both residential and commercial development) being located north of I-20, we already know that probably a majority of local airport customers come from the part of the Atlanta metropolitan area and region that is located north of I-20.

We also know that large major business districts (most of which are located north of I-20 and include areas like Downtown, Midtown, Emory, Buckhead, Cumberland, Perimeter Center, Alpharetta, Gainesville, etc, etc) generate much if not most of the airport’s local business travel.

And we know that affluent residential areas (most of which are located north of I-20 and include areas like Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, East Cobb, Dunwoody, North Fulton County, South Forsyth County, etc.) generate much if not most of the airport’s local non-business travel.

Though, we also know that the rise of the Atlanta region’s television and film production industry has helped to generate an increased amount of local business travel from Southside interests over the last decade.

We basically already know where in the Atlanta metropolitan area and region the airport’s local airport customers are coming from.

But even knowing that most of the region’s local airport customers come from Northside areas located north of I-20 very likely still could not do much to help a second major airport on the Northside become a reality at this point in time.

That’s because of the most likely and most assured opposition of Northside residents (many of whom are highly affluent and have abundant financial resources and powerful political connections) to any airport that would be built anywhere remotely near where they live.
Very good points, B2R.

One of the reasons a "heat" map would help is to see where on the north side would be most convenient for a second location. If they went with something like the Dobbins area, it might not provide all that much relief for folks over in the NE quadrant. At least not unless some good E-W transportation was thrown in.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Very good points, B2R.

One of the reasons a "heat" map would help is to see where on the north side would be most convenient for a second location. If they went with something like the Dobbins area, it might not provide all that much relief for folks over in the NE quadrant. At least not unless some good E-W transportation was thrown in.
Those are excellent points.

Though, as noted earlier in this thread, the Atlanta city government thought that it had a good location for a potential second major airport when it purchased what is now the “Dawson Forest, City of Atlanta Tract” about some 50 years ago back in the early 1970’s.

The CoA thought that it had a good location for a second major airport in the present-day Dawson Forest wilderness because at the time, the site (which is located effectively almost due north of Atlanta roughly between the Northeast and Northwest quadrants of the Atlanta metro area roughly about 5-6 miles west off of GA-400 in the Dawsonville area) was located pretty far away from heavy residential development where the highest number and loudest objections to the construction and the operation of a major commercial airport are likely to come from.

But over time, the Dawson Forest site became increasingly less favorable for development into a second major airport because of multiple meaningful factors, including:

> That the site increasingly became more of a favorite of regional and national environmentalists who are looking to stop the heavy commercial development of the Blue Ridge foothills and mountains wilderness north of Atlanta...

> The continued refusal of Delta Air Lines to allow the development of a second major airport anywhere in the greater Atlanta metro region, and...

> The encroachment of meaningful amounts of residential development on the Dawson Forest site.

Dawson Forest - City of Atlanta Tract (Google Maps)

Old 05-10-2022, 08:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm gonna raise hell if they rip up the Dawson Forest! That place is a little slice of heaven, though most people don't know it cause they're too busy going to the mountains that you still can't get views off of. Just enjoy the flora peeps.

I really don't think Atlanta needs a second airport though, I feel like this would be Braves stadium 2.0. With all the virtual meetings and $100 a barrel oil air traffic isn't exactly certain. Maybe for starters they could make it easier to get to the existing airport, like have a train that goes outside the perimeter.
There is zero chance Dawson Forest ever becomes an airport, that property was purchased by the City of Atlanta before they decided to go full speed on the Midfield Terminal.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:24 AM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Dobbins and Lawrenceville's Gwinnett County Airport would make sense. Of course, actually making it happen is another thing. If I had to guess, I'm guessing Gwinnett County Airport would win out (although the runway should be lengthened another 1000 feet or so, which would be doable). I could see a few discount carriers making use of the airport. If they can get Jet Blue in there, that would be fantastic! All hypothetical, of course.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:27 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times
I'm guessing there is some reason why Peachtree-DeKalb airport is not used more. The 6000-foot runway is good enough for connections to DFW, ORD, DAL, MIA, CLT, and others. Delta could even do puddle jumpers there. It's next to MARTA as well.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
I'm guessing there is some reason why Peachtree-DeKalb airport is not used more. The 6000-foot runway is good enough for connections to DFW, ORD, DAL, MIA, CLT, and others. Delta could even do puddle jumpers there. It's next to MARTA as well.
Peachtree DeKalb Airport (PDK) is not used more because of the very heavy and dense development surrounding the facility.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Peachtree DeKalb Airport (PDK) is not used more because of the very heavy and dense development surrounding the facility.
Also the same reason that Charlie Brown, Dobbins, and Briscoe will never be commercial airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta