Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 01:00 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Eh. No offense to the south side. There's only a few areas down there that can rival the desirability of the of the northern metro because most the jobs and even entertainment are in N.Atlanta.

I consider some of their communities to be fairly desirable like Eagles Mnt Landing, PTC, and a few other smaller nodes scattered between but McDonough, Stockbridge and most of Henry in general has exploded in crime over the last few decades, coupled with the long commute distance to most of the metros employment hubs. Clayton wasnt anything close to desirable for some time now. Fayette is still relatively quiet and safe but offers nothing close to the amenities in the N.Metro. in direct comparisons it doesnt take rocket science to determine that N.Atlanta is much more desirable than S.Atlanta and growth patterns plainly display this.

If you're comparing to the growth patterns of N.Atlanta metro, then S.Atlanta really would be placed in the majority as undesirable in general.

But Atlanta does not eat this cup alone. Chicago, DFW and some areas of Houston are similar.
Chicago's development patterns are pretty well rounded. If anything, the Naperville and Downers Grove area is more desirable than the northern suburbs.

Even Houston's Southside exploded during the 90s and 2000s real estate bubble. Sugar Land, Katy and Pearland as just as sought after these days as The Woodlands, Spring, etc.

What you say about DFW is true for now, although that's about the change soon. Waxahachie (which is Dallas' Newnan) is currently issuing permits for a 10,000 home master-planned community that will break ground any day now.

Last edited by citidata18; 11-27-2019 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Chicago's development patterns are pretty well rounded. If anything, the Naperville and Downers Grove area is more desirable than the northern suburbs.

Even Houston's Southside exploded during the 90s and 2000s real estate bubble. Sugar Land, Katy and Pearland as just as sought after thesr days as The Woodlands, Spring, etc.

What you say about DFW is true for now, although that's about the change soon. Waxahachie (which is Dallas' Newnan) is currently issuing permits for a 10,000 home master-planned community that will break ground any day now.
Naperville is more west. I used to live nearby it in Bolingbrook when I lived in Chicago. Bolingbrook has changed alot, not only has it grown but now has gangs and crime. True South Chicago is so forgotten people forget where it is on the map. It's all down I-57 and it turns terrible pretty quickly.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:39 PM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
This is all ado about nothing. This is a change in name only. There will still be significant hurdles to get apartments built in PTC. PTC will remain the best place in the South Metro area to live.

"No one from staff is advocating that we eliminate the moratorium so that we can have more apartments......What will happen now is that a developer can approach the city with a multi-family rezoning request just like any other rezoning request and receive a full hearing. Rorie said why take the chance of losing a lawsuit against the moratorium on constitutional grounds when the city could more easily defend its ultimate rezoning decision under the city’s more expansive legislative powers of rezoning."

Old 11-27-2019, 09:56 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Eh. No offense to the south side. There's only a few areas down there that can rival the desirability of the of the northern metro because most the jobs and even entertainment are in N.Atlanta.

I consider some of their communities to be fairly desirable like Eagles Mnt Landing, PTC, and a few other smaller nodes scattered between but McDonough, Stockbridge and most of Henry in general has exploded in crime over the last few decades, coupled with the long commute distance to most of the metros employment hubs. Clayton wasnt anything close to desirable for some time now. Fayette is still relatively quiet and safe but offers nothing close to the amenities in the N.Metro. in direct comparisons it doesnt take rocket science to determine that N.Atlanta is much more desirable than S.Atlanta and growth patterns plainly display this.

If you're comparing to the growth patterns of N.Atlanta metro, then S.Atlanta really would be placed in the majority as undesirable in general.

But Atlanta does not eat this cup alone. Chicago, DFW and some areas of Houston are similar.
I don't think Atlanta is as lopsided as Dallas. Fayette and Cowetta county are pretty nice and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I don't think Atlanta is as lopsided as Dallas. Fayette and Cowetta county are pretty nice and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I seriously doubt there are any eco-friendly cutting edge developments similar to Serenbe or Pinewood Forest either. If there are, I'm not finding anything online.

Those that dismiss the South Metro clearly don't know what they're talking about, or they have an agenda - perhaps both.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I seriously doubt there are any eco-friendly cutting edge developments similar to Serenbe or Pinewood Forest either. If there are, I'm not finding anything online.

Those that dismiss the South Metro clearly don't know what they're talking about, or they have an agenda - perhaps both.
Amen and Amen.

Thank you for bringing wisdom and truth to the discussion.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
South DFW doesnt have anything that can compare to PTC but the rest of South DFW it is about on par with the South Metro Atlanta area. There are fairly decent areas scattered about it such as Desoto, Glenn Heights, Cedar Hill and some parts of Burleson and Crowley that are about on par with Stockbridge, McDonough and Newnan.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:20 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
South DFW doesnt have anything that can compare to PTC but the rest of South Dallas it is about on par with the South Metro Atlanta area. There are fairly decent areas scattered about it such as Desoto, Glenn Heights, Cedar Hill and some parts of Burleson and Crowley that are about on par with Stockbridge, McDonough and Newnan.
Desoto, Glenn Heights, Cedar Hill, etc. are more like the Clayton County (Jonesboro, Morrow, etc.) / South Fulton (Fairburn, Union City, etc.) of Dallas, IMO.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Desoto, Glenn Heights, Cedar Hill, etc. are more like the Clayton County (Jonesboro, Morrow, etc.) / South Fulton (Fairburn, Union City, etc.) of Dallas, IMO.
Western Desoto and Cedar Hill seemed okay. Other parts of Burleson, Hulen area/Edgecliff village reminded more alot more of Clayton CO to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

There's literally nothing out there in Serenbe and Pinewood Forest is a development that has only recently conceived because it stalled for nearly a decade. They acquired the land right when the great recession began and much like the rest of real property in the metro, came to a hault. The initial developers attempted to sell it but were unable to and chose to continue to develope it. It's still not finished and the investor is looking to sell it again.

We had real estate property not to far from it in Fayetville and I passed by it every other day coming down Sandy Creek Rd. For a long time it was just empty land until recently it became concrete slabs and foundations which sat for a good while before eventually some houses started to appear.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-28-2019 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-28-2019, 12:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
There's literally nothing out there in Serenbe and Pinewood Forest is a development that has only recently conceived because it stalled for nearly a decade. They acquired the land right when the great recession began and much like the rest of real property in the metro, came to a hault. The initial developers attempted to sell it but were unable to and chose to continue to develope it. It's still not finished and the investor is looking to sell it again.

We had real estate property not to far from it in Fayetville and I passed by it every other day coming down Sandy Creek Rd. For a long time it was just empty land until recently it became concrete slabs and foundations which sat for a good while before eventually some houses started to appear.
The tired and predictable agenda of minimizing any positive posts about Atlanta arrives. You obviously haven't been near either of these places recently. I stand by my statement, there is nothing remotely similar to these developments in South Metro Dallas.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta