Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I used to live in North Cobb (Lassiter HS) and I liked that area as well. Some of my neighbors would refer to it as East Cobb because it has more snob appeal, but most people don't consider that area "east cobb" just because it is east of I-75.
This subtopic of what is considered East Cobb, West Cobb, etc. is almost hilariously confusing. I live in the Lassiter HS district on the eastern edge of the county. Behind my back yard there's a creek, and on the other side of the creek are the back yards of people who live in Fulton County. So I'm definitely East, and also North, as you mention. In fact, the YMCA near us calls itself the "North East Cobb YMCA". In a year-end concert at my kid's elementary school, a few years back, a group of parents and teachers entertained us with an hilarious send-up of "East Cobb girls". Hmm, I guess they didn't know they were out-of-territory.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone call this area "North Cobb". North Cobb equates to Acworth and environs in my mind. Lots of people call our area Roswell, because we have Roswell street addresses, but of course, this isn't Roswell. (The people across the creek from my back yard are in Roswell). When asked where I live, I generally say "North East Cobb", but if my interlocutor says "but it's not on the map" I give up and say "Roswell".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This subtopic of what is considered East Cobb, West Cobb, etc. is almost hilariously confusing. I live in the Lassiter HS district on the eastern edge of the county. Behind my back yard there's a creek, and on the other side of the creek are the back yards of people who live in Fulton County. So I'm definitely East, and also North, as you mention. In fact, the YMCA near us calls itself the "North East Cobb YMCA". In a year-end concert at my kid's elementary school, a few years back, a group of parents and teachers entertained us with an hilarious send-up of "East Cobb girls". Hmm, I guess they didn't know they were out-of-territory.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone call this area "North Cobb". North Cobb equates to Acworth and environs in my mind. Lots of people call our area Roswell, because we have Roswell street addresses, but of course, this isn't Roswell. (The people across the creek from my back yard are in Roswell). When asked where I live, I generally say "North East Cobb", but if my interlocutor says "but it's not on the map" I give up and say "Roswell".
Yes, the Lassiter Area is never considered "North Cobb"...it has always been "East Cobb" (see my previous post).

The "...Cobbs" are not analogous (sp?) to the compass directions.

Last edited by aries4118; 04-22-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Cobb County map

Maybe it's time for Mr. Steiner's nice map to make another appearance: http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/CobbCounty5.GIF (broken link)

This is from this original post by rcsteiner: //www.city-data.com/forum/2532936-post18.html

Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Maybe it's time for Mr. Steiner's nice map to make another appearance: http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/CobbCounty5.GIF (broken link)
Hey!

Quote:
This is from this original post by rcsteiner: //www.city-data.com/forum/2532936-post18.html
I still think there are still far too many holes in it, but I've only labelled what I know. If someone can think of meaningful labels to put in the large empty places on the map, please let me know and I'll add them...

For folks unfamiliar with the above quick-n-dirty attempt at making sense of Cobb County, the yellow areas are incorporated cities, and the white areas are unincorporated areas which mostly suburban and usually indistinguishable from the incorporated areas except when it comes to tax time.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hey!

I still think there are still far too many holes in it, but I've only labelled what I know. If someone can think of meaningful labels to put in the large empty places on the map, please let me know and I'll add them...

For folks unfamiliar with the above quick-n-dirty attempt at making sense of Cobb County, the yellow areas are incorporated cities, and the white areas are unincorporated areas which mostly suburban and usually indistinguishable from the incorporated areas except when it comes to tax time.
The large white area (color of map...not people) SW of Kennesaw that you were concerned about...

that's "West Cobb."

Add it, brother.

As I mentioned on another thread, the map looks good.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The large white area (color of map...not people) SW of Kennesaw that you were concerned about...

that's "West Cobb."

Add it, brother.
How's this for a first attempt?

http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/CobbCounty6.GIF (broken link)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,574 times
I've never heard of anyone ever refer to Lassiter as "North Cobb"....ever.

My friends that live there, with a Roswell address, usually say "Our address is Roswell, but we're officially in East Cobb."

Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How's this for a first attempt?

http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/CobbCounty6.GIF (broken link)

Awesome! But, also know that Macland can be considered a subsection of "West Cobb."

Just like "East Cobb" has subsections:

-East Marietta
-Mount Bethel
-Chattahoochee Plantation
-Sandy Plains
-Shallowford Falls
-Blackwell
-Noonday (partly in "North Cobb")
-Sweat Mountain (an emerging subsection)

Other "West Cobb" subsections:

-Due West
-Lost Mountain
-Mars Hill
(there may be more)

Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Awesome! But, also know that Macland can be considered a subsection of "West Cobb."

Just like "East Cobb" has subsections:

-East Marietta
-Mount Bethel
-Chattahoochee Plantation
-Sandy Plains
-Shallowford Falls
-Blackwell
-Noonday (partly in "North Cobb")
-Sweat Mountain (an emerging subsection)

Other "West Cobb" subsections:

-Due West
-Lost Mountain
-Mars Hill
(there may be more)
So. the map would be even more awesome if the subsections could be shown as well ... maybe in smaller type and/or mixed case to show they are smaller?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
So. the map would be even more awesome if the subsections could be shown as well ... maybe in smaller type and/or mixed case to show they are smaller?
I will make the attempt. It may be a few days, though -- I have a Windows box at home to rebuild and an Ubuntu 8.04 installation to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta