Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times

Advertisements

I think this is pretty awesome.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...7bh1r87V8NWlM/

Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Moving it to the Atlanta History Center is a reasonable compromise. Keeping it there, with the possible addition of some text explaining the historical context of Grady and his legacy will remind visitors of our society’s changes over the past 100+ years.

The GSU students can raise funds to cover the cost of removal so taxpayer dollars aren’t used.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:14 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,325 times
I always think of the Grady from Sanford and Son, so just put his picture up everywhere that says Grady and the problem is solved.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Moving it to the Atlanta History Center is a reasonable compromise. Keeping it there, with the possible addition of some text explaining the historical context of Grady and his legacy will remind visitors of our society’s changes over the past 100+ years.

The GSU students can raise funds to cover the cost of removal so taxpayer dollars aren’t used.

I thought about your response for a while. Wasn't it taxpayer dollars that put it there in the first place? Why would it be out of the question to have taxpayer dollars remove it?

Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Part of history just leave it be. It's like WW2. Try and hide it and sooner or later it will be repeated.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 PM

821 posts, read 725,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Part of history just leave it be. It's like WW2. Try and hide it and sooner or later it will be repeated.
Cancel culture is awful.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
It’s not a memorial to the confederacy, or celebration of racism. In a region that is known for constantly looking backward, he pushed Atlanta forward—that is why the statue is there. We should give context to history, and remind folks that some men and women that did important things weren’t wonderful people, but this is not an attempt at correcting a wrong, it is burying history.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
It’s not a memorial to the confederacy, or celebration of racism. In a region that is known for constantly looking backward, he pushed Atlanta forward—that is why the statue is there. We should give context to history, and remind folks that some men and women that did important things weren’t wonderful people, but this is not an attempt at correcting a wrong, it is burying history.
Indeed. It would serve those GSU students to actually READ Henry Grady's famous 1886 speech to an audience of northern industrialists, bankers and the President of the United States in New York -- when he declared "We have built a brave and beautiful city!" Yes, he advocated for white supremacy like most all white Southerners of the time. But he also had a profound understanding of the South's shortcomings, and a bold vision for what Atlanta and Georgia could become.

https://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/...h-dec.-22-1886

I'm a graduate of the Henry Grady College of Journalism at the University of Georgia. Henry Grady High School has a long and proud legacy as one of the City of Atlanta's finest public schools. And of course, tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people not just in Metro Atlanta, but across Georgia and beyond would literally NOT BE ALIVE if not for the outstanding care provided by Grady Hospital. You can move a statue, but Grady's name won't be stripped from any of those institutions anytime soon.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:12 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I thought about your response for a while. Wasn't it taxpayer dollars that put it there in the first place? Why would it be out of the question to have taxpayer dollars remove it?
Just a brief note: it was funded by public subscriptions rather than taxpayer dollars. The sculptor, Alexander Doyle, also built his career off of commissions to create Confederate sculptures.

My general response to this and most sculptures that venerate problematic people: good. Society changes, and so should its art and the way public art can set the tone for society. The statue moved once. It can move again. I'd prefer to a trash bin or broken down for reuse. That thing is heavy. Pride blinds, and I see too many people trying desensitize the effect racism did and still has by saying things like "it's normal for white people to have been racist then." Imagine if you were the target of that racism then or now. But, because I am a historian and I do think destruction enables many people to still not engage with history, I like their suggestion of a plaque. But also, if it would go to a history museum or the likes, people who love these figures and are arguing that people overlook their contributions, should be assuaged by that being one of the main objectives of preservation centers. More student groups, etc. would get exposure to this than the few folk pounding the pavement with 19th century tour books in their hands.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Grady supported some racist ideas but this statue seems different from Confederate memorials.

If folks are genuinely upset I'd be okay with moving it to the History Center or something like that, but not with taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta