U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2019, 05:59 PM
 
34,674 posts, read 32,046,927 times
Reputation: 22567

Advertisements

In university athletic recruiting news: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...nFyLNDD1kEhvL/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2019, 07:54 PM
 
30,563 posts, read 29,030,773 times
Reputation: 11422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In university athletic recruiting news: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...nFyLNDD1kEhvL/
The ATL is part of the Bulldog Nation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2019, 10:15 PM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In university athletic recruiting news: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...nFyLNDD1kEhvL/
Quote:
Tech fans mock UGA for 'Welcome to Atlanta' recruiting message
I cannot really blame the University of Georgia for wanting to, as much as possible, play up its proximity and connections to a relatively very nearby major city/metro like a Atlanta, which is a city that has emerged as an extremely high-profile and extremely influential city in entertainment and popular culture in the 21st Century.

UGA is smart to play up its close proximity and very close connections to Atlanta as a means of appealing to the best and highest-ranked athletic recruits, especially when it comes to a sport that is as so vitally and critically financially important to the university as football is.

On the other hand, Georgia Tech has every right to respond to UGA's attempts to closely tie itself to Atlanta in the public's consciousness with the reminder that GT is actually physically located within the City of Atlanta proper and is actually located much closer to the high-profile and popular landmarks that UGA is (wisely) attempting to tie itself so closely to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 PM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The ATL is part of the Bulldog Nation.
Your comment raises an important point, which is that metro Atlanta has been, and will continue to be critically important to the University of Georgia.

Many (and maybe most) of UGA's alumni (a number estimated to be up to 100,000) live in the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area, while UGA pulls many (and maybe most) of its students, top academic recruits and athletic recruits from metro Atlanta.

UGA has and continues to get much support from the rest of Georgia. But there is no denying that UGA has benefitted tremendously and overwhelmingly from its close proximity to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta.

Reaping the financial and public relations benefits of being relatively closely located near and having very close ties to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta appears to be a large part of what sets an institution like UGA apart from some seemingly less competitive SEC rivals like Ole Miss (University of Mississippi) and Mississippi State University, which are two SEC schools that do not appear to have access to the larger economic and financial generators that all of the other SEC schools appear to have.

Plus, even though the University of Georgia is not located in metro Atlanta (the 29-county "Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta" Metropolitan Statistical Area/MSA), it is officially located in the larger greater Atlanta region (the now roughly 42-county "Atlanta-Athens-Sandy Springs" Combined Statistical Area/CSA).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 12:56 AM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Your comment raises an important point, which is that metro Atlanta has been, and will continue to be critically important to the University of Georgia.

Many (and maybe most) of UGA's alumni (a number estimated to be up to 100,000) live in the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area, while UGA pulls many (and maybe most) of its students, top academic recruits and athletic recruits from metro Atlanta.

UGA has and continues to get much support from the rest of Georgia. But there is no denying that UGA has benefitted tremendously and overwhelmingly from its close proximity to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta.

Reaping the financial and public relations benefits of being relatively closely located near and having very close ties to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta appears to be a large part of what sets an institution like UGA apart from some seemingly less competitive SEC rivals like Ole Miss (University of Mississippi) and Mississippi State University, which are two SEC schools that do not appear to have access to the larger economic and financial generators that all of the other SEC schools appear to have.

Plus, even though the University of Georgia is not located in metro Atlanta (the 29-county "Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta" Metropolitan Statistical Area/MSA), it is officially located in the larger greater Atlanta region (the now roughly 42-county "Atlanta-Athens-Sandy Springs" Combined Statistical Area/CSA).
It probably should also be noted that UGA (obviously) is not the only large southeastern school with a major alumni/recruiting/fundraising/PR presence in the Atlanta metropolitan area and region.

To the chagrin of many UGA boosters (including many Georgia lawmakers), Auburn University has had a presence in metro Atlanta and in Georgia in general that at times has intensely rivaled UGA... That's even though Auburn University is located 108 miles away from Downtown Atlanta in the neighboring state of Alabama.

Auburn has a very large number of alumni from metro Atlanta and Georgia, and Auburn pulls a very large number of its students, athletic recruits and top academic recruits from metro Atlanta and Georgia.

There was also a period back in the late 2000's and very early 2010's when Georgia state legislators angrily threatened to end the popular specialty license plate program because more specialty plates were being sold for out-of-state schools than were being sold for UGA... That's including for Auburn, which at the time reportedly was individually selling more specialty plates in the state of Georgia than UGA was.

Being looked down upon in its own home state and viewed by most Alabamians as a 'step-sister' to flagship institution University of Alabama (which is #1 in the hearts and minds of most Alabamians because of the excellence of the football program in Tuscaloosa) has motivated Auburn to cultivate much support and many very close ties in nearby neighboring Georgia and in relatively close-by metro Atlanta.

Other large southeastern schools like Clemson University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Alabama and the University of South Carolina also have established major alumni/fundraising/recruiting/PR presences in (and major pipelines from) metro Atlanta, while many other post-secondary educational institutions of varying sizes (from large Power-5 conference schools, to non P-5 schools, to HBCUs, etc.) also have a significant presence in metro Atlanta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 01:38 AM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It was interesting how much the top teams played each other (different than college football). Marietta lost to McEachern and Grayson. Grayson lost to Colquitt and in the playoffs to Lowdnes. Colquitt lost to Lowndes, Valdosta (6A) and in the playoffs to Parkview. Parkview lost to Lowndes and in the playoffs to Marietta. McEachern lost in the playoffs to North Gwinnet. North Gwinnett lost to Colquitt and in the playoffs to Lowndes.
Yes... That is one of the great things about high school football, which is that the all of the top-ranked teams in each classification get to play it out on the field, both during the regular season and (especially) in the playoffs.

That so many good and great teams met each other in the regular season and in the playoffs in Georgia high school football also is a testament to the very high level and abundance of playing and coaching talent in metro Atlanta and in Georgia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 08:38 AM
bu2
 
18,630 posts, read 9,061,229 times
Reputation: 8056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Your comment raises an important point, which is that metro Atlanta has been, and will continue to be critically important to the University of Georgia.

Many (and maybe most) of UGA's alumni (a number estimated to be up to 100,000) live in the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area, while UGA pulls many (and maybe most) of its students, top academic recruits and athletic recruits from metro Atlanta.

UGA has and continues to get much support from the rest of Georgia. But there is no denying that UGA has benefitted tremendously and overwhelmingly from its close proximity to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta.

Reaping the financial and public relations benefits of being relatively closely located near and having very close ties to an economic juggernaut like metro Atlanta appears to be a large part of what sets an institution like UGA apart from some seemingly less competitive SEC rivals like Ole Miss (University of Mississippi) and Mississippi State University, which are two SEC schools that do not appear to have access to the larger economic and financial generators that all of the other SEC schools appear to have.

Plus, even though the University of Georgia is not located in metro Atlanta (the 29-county "Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta" Metropolitan Statistical Area/MSA), it is officially located in the larger greater Atlanta region (the now roughly 42-county "Atlanta-Athens-Sandy Springs" Combined Statistical Area/CSA).
UGA is much larger than Georgia Tech and has been for a long time. Further, GT admits a higher % of out of state students and its grads are more likely to leave the area. Net result-a lot more UGA grads in metro Atlanta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 08:40 AM
bu2
 
18,630 posts, read 9,061,229 times
Reputation: 8056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It probably should also be noted that UGA (obviously) is not the only large southeastern school with a major alumni/recruiting/fundraising/PR presence in the Atlanta metropolitan area and region.

To the chagrin of many UGA boosters (including many Georgia lawmakers), Auburn University has had a presence in metro Atlanta and in Georgia in general that at times has intensely rivaled UGA... That's even though Auburn University is located 108 miles away from Downtown Atlanta in the neighboring state of Alabama.

Auburn has a very large number of alumni from metro Atlanta and Georgia, and Auburn pulls a very large number of its students, athletic recruits and top academic recruits from metro Atlanta and Georgia.

There was also a period back in the late 2000's and very early 2010's when Georgia state legislators angrily threatened to end the popular specialty license plate program because more specialty plates were being sold for out-of-state schools than were being sold for UGA... That's including for Auburn, which at the time reportedly was individually selling more specialty plates in the state of Georgia than UGA was.

Being looked down upon in its own home state and viewed by most Alabamians as a 'step-sister' to flagship institution University of Alabama (which is #1 in the hearts and minds of most Alabamians because of the excellence of the football program in Tuscaloosa) has motivated Auburn to cultivate much support and many very close ties in nearby neighboring Georgia and in relatively close-by metro Atlanta.

Other large southeastern schools like Clemson University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Alabama and the University of South Carolina also have established major alumni/fundraising/recruiting/PR presences in (and major pipelines from) metro Atlanta, while many other post-secondary educational institutions of varying sizes (from large Power-5 conference schools, to non P-5 schools, to HBCUs, etc.) also have a significant presence in metro Atlanta.
Surprisingly, Auburn is actually tougher to get into than Alabama. Alabama goes to quantity and Auburn for quality. UGA has become extremely difficult to get into with the HOPE scholarship keeping good students in state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 02:56 PM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
UGA is much larger than Georgia Tech and has been for a long time. Further, GT admits a higher % of out of state students and its grads are more likely to leave the area. Net result-a lot more UGA grads in metro Atlanta.
These are excellent points... Though, I guess that it should be noted that Georgia Tech appears to have significantly closed the campus enrollment numbers gap with UGA in recent years.

As of Fall 2019, the University of Georgia's Athens campus had a total enrollment of 38,920 students while the Georgia Institute of Technology had a total enrollment of 36,489 students.

When I saw that Tech's enrollment numbers had shot up over the 30,000-student mark, I admit that was kind of surprised because, like many, I had always thought of Georgia Tech as a niche university (engineering and science) with an enrollment of only about 20,000 students or so.

I do not know what is driving Tech's increased enrollment numbers, though I suspect that such factors as a likely increase in the number of students seeking tech careers nationally, as well as Atlanta's increased visibility as an apparent major hub of tech industry activity (that GT has made direct major contributions to) potentially may have something to do with it.

I also wonder if the significantly increased enrollment numbers at GT are part of a larger effort by the university to increase its visibility in metro Atlanta and Georgia, including amongst athletic recruits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 03:35 PM
 
7,342 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Surprisingly, Auburn is actually tougher to get into than Alabama. Alabama goes to quantity and Auburn for quality. UGA has become extremely difficult to get into with the HOPE scholarship keeping good students in state.
Those are all excellent points also, though the competition to get into Bama seems to also have grown significantly tougher in recent years than it might have been in the past before the stunning resurgence of the football program during the Nick Saban era.

Winning 5 national titles in 9 seasons (and bringing the program total to 17 national titles overall) in football has a way of making a school like Alabama an extremely hot and in-demand property amongst prospective students.

As of the 2018-19 school year, the acceptance rate into Auburn appeared to be about 75%, while the acceptance rate into Alabama appeared to be only about 59%.

(2018-19 Auburn University Acceptance rate)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=auburn...FORM=QBRE&sp=1

(2018-19 University of Alabama Acceptance rate)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=univer...ee5b69&ajf=100

Interestingly, the University of Georgia appeared to have the toughest standards (like you mentioned) of all three universities mentioned, with an acceptance rate of only 49% as of the 2018-19 school year...

(2018-19 University of Georgia Acceptance rate)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=univer...FORM=QBRE&sp=1

I also really cannot blame an institution like the University of Alabama for using its extremely high-achieving high-profile football program as an effective tool to drive significantly increased and improved student recruitment and fundraising.

No matter whether one likes, loves or hates and despises a football program like Crimson Tide, using such a high-achieving athletic program to drive improved student recruiting and fundraising just seems to be a no-brainer for any school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top