Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm afraid community opposition will be fierce. The eastside beltline has become nearly a free-for-all. People aren't going to like having to share space with a fenced in RoW, with "ugly" wires strung up over the tracks right outside the condo balconies. Restaurants aren't going to want their "experience" "ruined" by a train whispering past every 7 minutes. We can talk on here till we're blue in the fingers about the original vision and whatever else, but it won't make a difference. The NIMBYs (NIMFYs? Not In My Front Yard?) will come out in force, I guarantee it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 09:03 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Yeah, at some spots I'm wondering where they are even going to have room for a train, like the PCM/O4W area and by KSM.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Other than LA, those areas are vastly more dense than Atlanta. And in LA, transit ridership has been steadily falling as they have been building rail. Those areas also have heavier downtown employment.
LA is actually much denser than Atlanta. It's downtown has a tiny, tiny share of employment. But you are spot on about transit ridership in LA falling even as LA is in the middle of the most aggressive rail transit building program in the country.

I say that mass transit will fail in LA, Atlanta, and most other urban centers outside the Northeast if the Downtown and inner cities of US cities continue to be undesirable cesspools of crime and homelessness where anyone who has even some money will flee to the sprawling suburbs. The remaining inner city residents will be low income people, and even they will often start driving their cars more because they're scared of the dingy dangerous transit systems.

Only the people who can't afford even a used car, the poorest of the poor, will continue to use transit, and transit will continue to have a stigma as this dirty, crime infested mode of transportation that you avoid unless you are dirt poor.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
For PCM and south, RoW isn't an issue, there's plenty of room, the trail might have to be shifted east a little in places, it looks like they've done a good job preserving room for LRT as well as full size rail service in this area. Where it gets tight for all three modes is north of Ponce De Leon Ave.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:00 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
LA is actually much denser than Atlanta. It's downtown has a tiny, tiny share of employment. But you are spot on about transit ridership in LA falling even as LA is in the middle of the most aggressive rail transit building program in the country.

I say that mass transit will fail in LA, Atlanta, and most other urban centers outside the Northeast if the Downtown and inner cities of US cities continue to be undesirable cesspools of crime and homelessness where anyone who has even some money will flee to the sprawling suburbs. The remaining inner city residents will be low income people, and even they will often start driving their cars more because they're scared of the dingy dangerous transit systems.

Only the people who can't afford even a used car, the poorest of the poor, will continue to use transit, and transit will continue to have a stigma as this dirty, crime infested mode of transportation that you avoid unless you are dirt poor.
...I disagree. I am far from the stereotype you portray as transit users and am focused in STEM / innovation in my career path and I personally do use rail when accessible in order to defeat traffic logged commutes. If you have used a bus or the light rail in Seattle you will see this assumption is heavily inaccurate.

Also gentrification within the past decade has long uplifted the vibrancy of many urban cores. Yes with density you will have more problems such as homelessness and crime but to say that urban cores are only desirable for the less fortunate and that anyone with even ‘some’ money are fleeing to the suburbs is far from accurate, in fact lately it is quite the opposite, many are priced out of the urban cores due to the rapid gentrification and influx of demand to live near the core, that may have reached a stumbling block as of late due to the pandemic but Downtown’s have been on a massive upswing for quite some time now.

I do agree to an extent that the lack of density does in a sense defeat rail and that the Northeastern cities do have that in their favor, that and suburbs are built with more automotive based infrastructure making their designs less feasible to walking and transit but automotive infrastructure while great, has its limits and shouldn’t be the only thing we are relying on to move commuters, especially for those of us who do not wish to sit on a congested interstate to commute.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:20 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:

This reads like a parody.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:29 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Other than LA, those areas are vastly more dense than Atlanta. And in LA, transit ridership has been steadily falling as they have been building rail. Those areas also have heavier downtown employment.

Suburban rail is just not efficient. When you get much outside 285, park n rides with HOV/HOT lanes give you cheaper and better service. With all the stops, trains are slower than express bus and they let you off further from your destination.

I used LA's subway. It was pretty good

Old 10-13-2020, 10:35 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yep, I'm afraid community opposition will be fierce. The eastside beltline has become nearly a free-for-all. People aren't going to like having to share space with a fenced in RoW, with "ugly" wires strung up over the tracks right outside the condo balconies. Restaurants aren't going to want their "experience" "ruined" by a train whispering past every 7 minutes. We can talk on here till we're blue in the fingers about the original vision and whatever else, but it won't make a difference. The NIMBYs (NIMFYs? Not In My Front Yard?) will come out in force, I guarantee it!
They should've known what they were buying into. Beltline rail has been anticipated for decades now.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:43 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
This reads like a parody.
LA proper is denser than Atlanta proper. LA suburbs are denser than Atlanta suburbs. Is that a parody to you?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
LA proper is denser than Atlanta proper. LA suburbs are denser than Atlanta suburbs. Is that a parody to you?
I was referring to the bolded parts:

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta