Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM

39 posts, read 106,916 times

Advertisements

I understand the restrictions regarding watering with a hose. But what about container watering? If I collect gray water, am I only allowed to use it during the specified outdoor watering schedule? What if I am willing to haul around a 5-gallon watering can? Will I get fined for that?

I don't plan to do my entire lawn this way, but I do have some young seedlings that need a boost. Just a couple of gallons would make a huge difference to them.

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM

273 posts, read 1,751,894 times
Nope, can't use the watering can. Can't water containers any differently than your lawn. Many counties have restrictions on using gray water too.

However, a regulation has been passed that allows you to water new plantings for (I think-check on this) 30 days during a ten-week period. You have to take an online test and print out a certificate. Details can be found at the Walter Reeves website. He is a local gardening guru with a radio show. Seedlings should qualify as new plantings.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
Just to add to the confusion:http://www.fultonecd.org/water-restrictions-04-08.pdf?option=com_content&task=view&id=465&Itemid= 266 (broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 106,916 times
Okay, this is what I found at the Walter Reeves site: http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/...errulesepd.pdf

This specifically exempts gray water use. So, can I catch the water I use washing vegetables and water my seedlings any time I want to?

I haven't seen anything that specifically addresses the use of gray water in Fulton County. I've heard such restrictions alluded to, vaguely, but nothing I could read myself. The rules are very confusing since they are so numerous, and there are different rules at every level of government. Plus I'm never sure when I'm reading the most recent version. The last thing I read said that you could top off swimming pools. So, people are topping off pools while I have to go take a test in order to water my plants with gray water?

I think I will just keep my plants inside until they're big enough to hold their own. I can water to my heart's content in my house.

-J

Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 PM

162 posts, read 570,916 times
Just curious -- is the reason they restrict "gray" water because they figure you could be using water that isn't really gray or in a way, *creating* extra gray water to use?

Anyway I'm from CA, just curious about the drought situation and watering restriction in GA. Here, they talk big about conservation, but don't actually apply any restrictions; they just charge exorbitant amounts for water.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
Just curious -- is the reason they restrict "gray" water because they figure you could be using water that isn't really gray or in a way, *creating* extra gray water to use?
I'm guessing it could be because putting gray water on your landscape takes it away from the river. Metro Atlanta's net impact on the Chattahoochee is not as large as you might think, because virtually all the water used indoors is returned to the river via the sewer system. Water used outdoors, however, evaporates and is not directly returned to the river in the same way. Hence the outdoor watering restrictions. The amount we return to the river is included in the calculations of how much water is sent downstream. So if the people of metro Atlanta start diverting a lot of gray water onto their yards, this is really not helpful. I can't understand why this point isn't made more often when people start enthusing about using gray water. It's just not that great an idea.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm guessing it could be because putting gray water on your landscape takes it away from the river. Metro Atlanta's net impact on the Chattahoochee is not as large as you might think, because virtually all the water used indoors is returned to the river via the sewer system. Water used outdoors, however, evaporates and is not directly returned to the river in the same way. Hence the outdoor watering restrictions. The amount we return to the river is included in the calculations of how much water is sent downstream. So if the people of metro Atlanta start diverting a lot of gray water onto their yards, this is really not helpful. I can't understand why this point isn't made more often when people start enthusing about using gray water. It's just not that great an idea.
Well, except that over half of the metro area has either personal waste water treatment facilities or community waste water treatment systems(known as septic tanks to you and me). Some will make it back to the streams and into the 'Hooch but much will not.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM

162 posts, read 570,916 times
Thanks for the responses -- I hadn't thought of the return to the stream issue. Funny living in a desert and hearing talk talk all the time about conserving yet really we know nothing about that kind of rationing or restrictions on water out here in Southern CA. Weird. Where I live the high price of water is the main factor in influencing self-restriction of water use.

I still wonder if it might have to do somewhat though with the idea that if everyone starting having green lawns or plants thanks to the use of gray water, that it would make it harder for those who are using water illegally to be caught. If all the lawns are green, who is to say who is using gray water and who is not? Easier to just have all the lawns be brown in terms of enforcement.

Well I really have no clue as I said, just thinking "out loud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta