Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Interesting theory, but it's a little out of touch with reality. For one, I live in the suburbs, and I "care"- you won't see me or my children littering. Secondly, I "drive a car", and I still get to see the results of people littering- maybe I don't see if from 4' away because I'm not walking to KSU, but I still see it on the side of the road. I'm thinking there are probably plenty of folks just like me out there that debunk your theory.

Perhaps. I was presenting a theory. I was duped. I was going on what I know and think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,921 times
It is just sad too. I think alot of people have this "not in my backyard" mentality. When I lived in the northern burb part of Atlanta, everyday in traffic, doing the usual commute and the regular coming and going, people throwing trash and cigarette butts out of their car. It drove me crazy!!

I just thought of a story...and this was here in CA where I live now. I was sitting in a retail parking lot while my husband ran into a store. This man in Lexus or something of that nature, was thoroughly cleaning out his car and left the trash in the parking space, and then proceeded to move the car to another parking spot to remove himself from his trash pile, AND he had a kid in the backseat. I was completely dumbfounded.

And then on another better note...my neighbor noticed (in our community where we live) that one day when driving with her daughter, a lady in front of them at a stop light...decided to empty her water bottle and then leave the water bottle sitting in the street ( she actually opened her car door to do this while at the stop light). Well my neighbor and her daughter witnessed the whole thing....and my neighbor having taught her daughter that you dont litter, felt herself having to make a stand. So she followed the lady who littered all the way to her house...and when they arrived...my neighbor (very nice like) said, "Do you live here?" and the lady said yes...and then my neighbor replied, "Do you enjoy living here?" and the lady said "why, yes, it's great". Then my neighbor proceeded to let her have it, by telling her what she witnessed at the stop light with the littering...and if she liked living here so much then she shouldnt ruin it by littering. Basically the lady was speechless and the point was made.

It is hard to make judgements like that, because you cant always predict how people will react. Especially in GA when you have alot testosterone driving around in big pick ups.

One more story....when we lived in Cumming in a new home development...the builder had pulled out upon completion of the neighborhood. So we were in the process trying to get our front entrance maintained. There was a side part to the neighborhood entrance that wasnt manicured, so therefore had become weedy, trashy eyesore as you drove up to the neighborhood entrance . Well, one Saturday morning I just decided I would go up there and tidy it up. Of course it was a bigger job than what looked from the road with pulling weeds and picking up trash....I cant tell you how many neighbors coming in and out of the community passed me by, some waved...but none helped. It was such a discouraging feeling...like no one is invested in the area in which they live. Like it is ok, to keep your immediate neighborhood tidy where your houses and yards are...but go outside of that...and it is free for all. People LIKE for communities to look and feel nice, but it takes a common vision and desire to create it. It is an uphill battle.

Whenever I ever move back to GA...I understand that I will be the one who will the minority in wanting the same kind of things I have in other progressive type communities. Someone has to start somewhere...it is better to make an effort than to bellyache about it and continue to be frustrated by what you see. Who knows just how many like minded people who may be out there wanting the same things.

Ok I am done with my story telling. Thanks for hearing me!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
It is just sad too. I think alot of people have this "not in my backyard" mentality. When I lived in the northern burb part of Atlanta, everyday in traffic, doing the usual commute and the regular coming and going, people throwing trash and cigarette butts out of their car. It drove me crazy!!

I just thought of a story...and this was here in CA where I live now. I was sitting in a retail parking lot while my husband ran into a store. This man in Lexus or something of that nature, was thoroughly cleaning out his car and left the trash in the parking space, and then proceeded to move the car to another parking spot to remove himself from his trash pile, AND he had a kid in the backseat. I was completely dumbfounded.

And then on another better note...my neighbor noticed (in our community where we live) that one day when driving with her daughter, a lady in front of them at a stop light...decided to empty her water bottle and then leave the water bottle sitting in the street ( she actually opened her car door to do this while at the stop light). Well my neighbor and her daughter witnessed the whole thing....and my neighbor having taught her daughter that you dont litter, felt herself having to make a stand. So she followed the lady who littered all the way to her house...and when they arrived...my neighbor (very nice like) said, "Do you live here?" and the lady said yes...and then my neighbor replied, "Do you enjoy living here?" and the lady said "why, yes, it's great". Then my neighbor proceeded to let her have it, by telling her what she witnessed at the stop light with the littering...and if she liked living here so much then she shouldnt ruin it by littering. Basically the lady was speechless and the point was made.

It is hard to make judgements like that, because you cant always predict how people will react. Especially in GA when you have alot testosterone driving around in big pick ups.

One more story....when we lived in Cumming in a new home development...the builder had pulled out upon completion of the neighborhood. So we were in the process trying to get our front entrance maintained. There was a side part to the neighborhood entrance that wasnt manicured, so therefore had become weedy, trashy eyesore as you drove up to the neighborhood entrance . Well, one Saturday morning I just decided I would go up there and tidy it up. Of course it was a bigger job than what looked from the road with pulling weeds and picking up trash....I cant tell you how many neighbors coming in and out of the community passed me by, some waved...but none helped. It was such a discouraging feeling...like no one is invested in the area in which they live. Like it is ok, to keep your immediate neighborhood tidy where your houses and yards are...but go outside of that...and it is free for all. People LIKE for communities to look and feel nice, but it takes a common vision and desire to create it. It is an uphill battle.

Whenever I ever move back to GA...I understand that I will be the one who will the minority in wanting the same kind of things I have in other progressive type communities. Someone has to start somewhere...it is better to make an effort than to bellyache about it and continue to be frustrated by what you see. Who knows just how many like minded people who may be out there wanting the same things.

Ok I am done with my story telling. Thanks for hearing me!
The "not in my backyard" mentality might be a small part of why there is so much litter, but in my opinion, I think alot of people just don't care. As for picking up trash ad no one helping out, I'm not surprised and I can identify with it because I have actually picked up trash from the side of the road. My theory is that few people care about whether or not their city is clean. They wouldn't litter in their backyards but wouldn't flinch at littering elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised that few people care to clean up. In GA it is hard being green because there is very little support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta