Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:12 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,875,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But they might not can say that though. If the local unit hasn't violated the ByLaws, there's nothing national can do. Again, I'm not a lawyer, and it seems like it'll depend on what the definition of "non-partisan" and "endorse" is.

So anyone that's black should automatically be supported by the NAACP? I can't say they're my favorite organization ever, but I do have a fair bit of respect for them as a whole, and my respect for the local unit has gone up immeasurably since condemning reed. If the stance the NAACP is going to take is "any black candidate no matter their qualifications" then forget them.
Be careful what you ask for, Atlanta. BLM is already going after newly-elected New York City Mayor, Eric Adams, DEMANDING that he meet their demands to NOT increase policing efforts in NYC. If he does, they threaten riots and burnings in the streets! Say WHAT??

Last edited by columbusboy8; 11-11-2021 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 08:21 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, if you look at a precinct map, Moore won almost everywhere that Norwood won last time, and Reed and Dickens split the area where KLB won. So, it looks like, Dickens is in position to pick up more of Reed’s votes. That said, Reed got a significant amount of votes in the Buckhead area, and Moore got significant amounts of votes everywhere—even in the places she finished third.
So, I think Dickens will get a “majority” of Reed’s votes, but probably not enough to win—he would need to almost sweep the Reed vote, and that probably won’t happen—Dickens seems unpopular in the north, and Moore is reasonably popular everywhere.
Good analysis.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:25 AM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, if you look at a precinct map, Moore won almost everywhere that Norwood won last time, and Reed and Dickens split the area where KLB won. So, it looks like, Dickens is in position to pick up more of Reed’s votes. That said, Reed got a significant amount of votes in the Buckhead area, and Moore got significant amounts of votes everywhere—even in the places she finished third.
So, I think Dickens will get a “majority” of Reed’s votes, but probably not enough to win—he would need to almost sweep the Reed vote, and that probably won’t happen—Dickens seems unpopular in the north, and Moore is reasonably popular everywhere.
Good stuff.

Do you have a decent election results precinct map to post?

Old 11-11-2021, 09:46 AM

859 posts, read 2,112,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
It was the video from the mayoral candidates forum of the elderly woman dressing Reed down for his administration's handling of eminent domain for flood-prone property that did him in. He saw the woman coming from a mile away and tried to duck out but ended up staying to see the momentum of his comeback come to an abrupt end.

https://youtu.be/pCAQSHO-eRw
Ouch! You're right. That video certainly didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good stuff.

Do you have a decent election results precinct map to post?
I hope Jeoff or others can find a better one but this was one I was viewing after the election. It's limited as it only shows votes for Moore Dickens and Reed. The dots represent precincts.

https://saportareport.com/atlanta-ma...orts/johnruch/

Old 11-11-2021, 01:07 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Ouch! You're right. That video certainly didn't help.

I hope Jeoff or others can find a better one but this was one I was viewing after the election. It's limited as it only shows votes for Moore Dickens and Reed. The dots represent precincts.

https://saportareport.com/atlanta-ma...orts/johnruch/
Thank you.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:42 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
What kind of fool would consider her for such?
Her shining moment was when she scolded the protesters who damaged storefronts in their own city which were Black-owned businesses.

Atlanta should be the last city to have property damage.

She was angry and she went off on them when the whole world was watching.

I loved her for doing it because not everyone is in a position to say what many felt and she seized the moment. Bad actions should be reprimanded, and she got a lot of respect for transcending any other factor like race to express her anger at those destroying our city.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:56 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,763,299 times
Well Gay endorsed Dickens. I wonder if she is trying to establish some credibility for a future run at mayor by endorsing the more progressive candidate.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:05 AM

859 posts, read 2,112,859 times
Well, talk about a comeback. Dickens, thought to not have a shot just a couple of weeks before the election goes on to make the run-off and then wins the whole shebang. Congrats to Mayor-Elect Andre Dickens.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:14 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,763,299 times
Dickens had the endorsements and the energy behind his campaign. In my east-side neighborhood there were a lot of volunteers coming through and new signs for Dickens—for Moore there was pretty much nothing. NPR reported that turnout on the north was low. I think Moore got played as the de facto “white” candidate and was punished for it in the south, but did not energize the north. I haven’t even looked at how the precincts voted, but I would bet that areas won by each candidate will roughly correspond with Bottoms-Norwood. I worry about how this may effect Buckhead secession movement—their preferred candidate lost and they were apathetic about the runoff. If things get worse for Buckhead under Dickens, I can see them writing the rest of the city off—whether it’s his fault or not.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:57 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Be careful what you ask for, Atlanta. BLM is already going after newly-elected New York City Mayor, Eric Adams, DEMANDING that he meet their demands to NOT increase policing efforts in NYC. If he does, they threaten riots and burnings in the streets! Say WHAT??
Lol, how naïve are you to believe there will be riots and buildings burning down just because political demands aren't met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta