Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 12:06 PM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times

Advertisements

My suggestion would be Midtown. I think you would love being in walkable proximity to Piedmont Park, the Beltline, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, etc to walk to. Also check out Inman Park, Virginia Highland, and the Southern part of Ansley Park (the part near Public, Kroger, CVS, Piedmont Park, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I wouldn't overlook Avalon. Very walkable, and lots of tech businesses in that neck of the woods.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,972 times
Thanks for all the responses. I visited Atlanta over the weekend and explored a good number of neighborhoods. Here's my trip report.

Midtown: I see the appeal - lots of restaurants and life. However, it's more city-like than I want. More specifically, there are too many modern towers with visually bland street-level shops or restaurants. And parking seems annoying.

West Midtown around Ormsby's: New and up-and-coming, which is great, but a lack of grocery store nearby and constant construction makes it a no for me.

Atlantic Station: Seemed nice but felt too much like a suburb outlet mall.

Buckhead: This was my first stop, and I've never seen so many foreign luxury cars... I understand the Beverly Hills of the South now. I spent most of my time right in Buckhead Village near Whole Foods, although did drive through North Buckhead and everywhere in between.

Buckhead didn't seem as walkable as I expected. Or maybe it's not that it isn't walkable, but the towers and cars whizzing by make it feel less hospitable. Something about Buckhead is still pulling me in (maybe the wealth), but at the same time, my gut is telling me no.

Decatur: Went here for dinner at the Square Pub. Nice town but too far away and slow for what I want.

Ponce City Market: This was my favorite area, although it was my last stop so I didn't make it further into O4W and Inman Park. I even toured one of the lofts and liked it, despite a lack of modern amenities compared to most apartments (e.g. new appliances, high-quality finishes, pool). I loved the proximity to those restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery stores. I think the coffee shops and Industrious coworking space would be enough of a business-social scene for me, too.

I really enjoyed the traditional architecture and trees in the neighborhood.

Overall, I really enjoyed Atlanta. Most people I talked with were welcoming and friendly. I like the southern charm combined with big-city ambition and energy. I see why people complain about traffic, so living in a neighborhood where I can lift, work, and eat is still a priority for me.
___

My next step is to schedule apartment tours for a couple of weekends from now. I'll be looking near Ponce, Inman Park, and O4W.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 1,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wouldn't overlook Avalon. Very walkable, and lots of tech businesses in that neck of the woods.
I think I'll add Alpharetta and Avalon to the next visit.

I'm sure the vibe is much different than the places I've seen so far. What should I know about it? And you mentioned tech businesses - are they large companies or more like startups? It doesn't seem like a suburb that far away would attract as many young people.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskarl View Post
I think I'll add Alpharetta and Avalon to the next visit.

I'm sure the vibe is much different than the places I've seen so far. What should I know about it? And you mentioned tech businesses - are they large companies or more like startups? It doesn't seem like a suburb that far away would attract as many young people.
I think you gave a fair assessment in your previous post. I would also consider venturing a little further south than Inman Park, and looking into Reynoldstown/Cabbagetown. Given the things that you said attracted you in the O4W area, I would recommend looking into those areas too, especially along the Beltline to Memorial Drive/Glenwood Park.

Also, if you think Decatur was too far and slow, then I wouldn't suggest you waste your time at Avalon. Alpharetta is quite the hike from everything you said you liked. While Atlanta Station may feel like a suburban mall parked in the city, Avalon IS that, parked in a suburb. It is good for what it is, but if O4W attracted you, I can't imagine Avalon is worth the effort.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I visited Atlanta over the weekend and explored a good number of neighborhoods. Here's my trip report.

Midtown: I see the appeal - lots of restaurants and life. However, it's more city-like than I want. More specifically, there are too many modern towers with visually bland street-level shops or restaurants. And parking seems annoying.
I'd suggest checking it out again. There's the high-rise part of Midtown, and then there's the area over just South of Piedmont Park which is very residential and beautiful with tree-lined streets (and parking is not hard over there, especially if you apply for your Midtown parking permit which opens you up to all of the Midtown street parking). But it sounds from your responses that you're looking for modern luxuries like a pool and gym from where you're living? There are apartment complexes around Ponce City Market that may fit the bill if you weren't crazy about the high-rises in Midtown. That's technically right on the border of Midtown and O4W but I still consider it Midtown.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
West Midtown around Ormsby's: New and up-and-coming, which is great, but a lack of grocery store nearby and constant construction makes it a no for me.
There's a grocery store just 1.25 miles down the road from the Ormsby's area. I think the construction could be done in a couple of years. Seems like almost every lot is under development. Only so much more they could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta