Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Until recently, the main drawback with Delta has been that they use a much older fleet of planes than the other carriers. Only just now are they phasing out their McDonnell-Douglas fleet.

That actually worked to that benefit though in a way, with this Boeing-737 fiasco everyone else is dealing with.

Also, Delta's loyalty program (SkyMiles) isn't nearly as generous as what the other airlines offer.
I haven't traveled in such a long time, but I used to travel with Delta because my father used to use them. I guess I got used to it and just stuck with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Me too, Delta is always my first. I guess that’s the Atlanta homer in me. I don’t mind paying extra for better service.
I can't say that I've had the best experiences with any domestic carrier, but again, safety would be my number 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Claims? What claims are you speaking of? I said I like SW better and put "imo". Did I otherwise speak not in terms of facts? The only claim I see here is that SW people are flocking to Delta...source? Interesting take since SW was/is the newcomer in the market. Every single passenger is a swipe at Delta. Delta even adopted their model for the rear of the plane to compete. Let me know the customer growth rates of each airline when you stumble across them, particularly out of Atlanta.

Delta has its place with business travelers with expense accts and where their gouging fee policies don't impact individuals wallets.
You have been riding the anti-Delta agenda hard for some time now, it's nothing new.

And every passenger is a swipe at Delta, and they caused Delta to change the rear of their cabins to compete with Southwest?

That is hilarious!!! You can't make this stuff up!

If you want stats, the BTS Division of the DOT is a trove of info. Look it up.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You have been riding the anti-Delta agenda hard for some time now, it's nothing new.

And every passenger is a swipe at Delta, and they caused Delta to change the rear of their cabins to compete with Southwest?

That is hilarious!!! You can't make this stuff up!

If you want stats, the BTS Division of the DOT is a trove of info. Look it up.
Exactly, you can't make up facts. You're catching on.

You're the one that brought a claim. Shocking you don't care to back it up. The data I see shows SW out gaining Delta in customer growth. Maybe you care refute these stats since after all your claim states otherwise.

You gush over Delta because you work with them in your career. You have an obvious bias. I am simply a consumer stating what I observe as ridiculous, customer 2nd business practices.

Here's some interesting data. https://www.bts.dot.gov/airline-rankings-2018

Passengers: (flocking to Delta in "Droves" lulz)

SW - 163.6MM
DAL - 152MM

Gross Revenue:

DAL - $44.5MM
SW - $22.MM

wait for it.....

Operating Margin:

SW - 14.6%
DAL - 12.4%

SW ....without baggage fees, change fare fees, price gouging on monopoly routes ....is able to drop more to their bottom line than Delta. Keep in mind those fees have no accompanied expenses. They are straight profit. That is a real head scratcher. Just where is all that money going? Oh yeah, bonuses.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Just where is all that money going? Oh yeah, bonuses.
Unions.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Unions.
As if...

Old 01-17-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly, you can't make up facts. You're catching on.

You're the one that brought a claim. Shocking you don't care to back it up. The data I see shows SW out gaining Delta in customer growth. Maybe you care refute these stats since after all your claim states otherwise.

You gush over Delta because you work with them in your career. You have an obvious bias. I am simply a consumer stating what I observe as ridiculous, customer 2nd business practices.

Here's some interesting data. https://www.bts.dot.gov/airline-rankings-2018

Passengers: (flocking to Delta in "Droves" lulz)

SW - 163.6MM
DAL - 152MM

Gross Revenue:

DAL - $44.5MM
SW - $22.MM

wait for it.....

Operating Margin:

SW - 14.6%
DAL - 12.4%

SW ....without baggage fees, change fare fees, price gouging on monopoly routes ....is able to drop more to their bottom line than Delta. Keep in mind those fees have no accompanied expenses. They are straight profit. That is a real head scratcher. Just where is all that money going? Oh yeah, bonuses.
I suggest that you dispense with the insults, I won't say it again.

This data is totally flawed, the 737-MAX debacle didn't begin in 2018. And those are NOT Atlanta numbers, nice try at moving the goal posts - but what else is new.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I suggest that you dispense with the insults, I won't say it again.

This data is totally flawed, the 737-MAX debacle didn't begin in 2018. And those are NOT Atlanta numbers, nice try at moving the goal posts - but what else is new.
I don't remember insulting anyone. This is the latest data from a source YOU referenced. Is this real life?

I see your point now. People in Atlanta who never flew SW in the first place are flocking to the airline that as been in ATL for for nearly 100 years. Flocking. Is this your argument?

Even if the MAX being grounded does impact numbers for one year that is not representative of the bigger picture in which SW has been growing at a faster clip. The data goes back further than one year. Feel free to type in other years on that link.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't remember insulting anyone. This is the latest data from a source YOU referenced. Is this real life?

I see your point now. People in Atlanta who never flew SW in the first place are flocking to the airline that as been in ATL for for nearly 100 years. Flocking. Is this your argument?

Even if the MAX being grounded does impact numbers for one year that is not representative of the bigger picture in which SW has been growing at a faster clip. The data goes back further than one year. Feel free to type in other years on that link.

No, I meant network wide. You are incredibly bitter to interact act with, do you do business with all your 'flippers' in this condescending way?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
No, I meant network wide. You are incredibly bitter to interact act with, do you do business with all your 'flippers' in this condescending way?
Why no.

Why do you love Delta so much again? From where I stand you show blind loyalty because they are based in Atlanta and you do some form of business with them. Their city of headquarters does not cause me to suddenly ignore their business practices.

My only contention is that Delta is not as customer focused as they once were. There are some companies that, imo, are still doing a great job at valuing their customers. That really bothers you for some reason. To the extend that you make false claims that are easily refuted.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:08 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
I have some mixed feelings about Delta's apparent financial prosperity during the late 2010's and into the early 2020's.

I am very happy that metro Atlanta's and Georgia's largest private employer (Delta) appears to be in extremely good financial health.

When Delta is doing well financially, that is a sign that metro Atlanta and Georgia are doing well economically.

I worked as a subcontractor for Delta back in the late 2000's right after they had declared bankruptcy and were trying to work their way out of bankruptcy during a time that also just happened to be during the descent into the Financial Crisis of 2008 and the resulting Great Recession economic slowdown of the very late 2000's and early 2010's.

So while I have always been a supporter of Delta and what they mean to both the greater Atlanta and Georgia state economies, I also did not necessarily have the greatest experience in dealing with them as a subcontractor while understanding that it was not a great time for them financially during their 2005-2007 bankruptcy restructuring that just happened to correspond with the local and national descent into the soul-crushing depths of the Great Recession.

With that said, even with all of Delta's obvious flaws, I remain very happy that Delta appears to be alive and well and that Atlanta still has a hometown-based airline of international importance that it can depend on to help bolster its economy and its standing as a city and metropolitan area of international influence.

I have family and friends who as kids in the 1970's and '80's in Clayton County used to get into fights on the playground with other kids because some of their parents worked for Delta and some of their parents worked for Eastern Air Lines (which had a major hub at ATL airport before it ceased operations in 1991).

… Which is something that illustrates and underscores just how much importance many metro Atlantans understandably place in having a major international airline based in their city and metro.

Delta is far from perfect, but having an imperfect major airline of international importance headquartered in the city is better than having none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta