Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times

Advertisements

The poll options on Curbed's webpage are atrocious. For example the only rational they give for "No" is "No. Could you imagine how crowded and messy MARTA trains and buses would be if anyone could hop on at any time?" I'm questioning the point of this article since the writer makes it abundantly clear fare-free transit's nowhere in the horizon. Since Atlanta likes to toss out study over study over study over decades, this is pretty much a useless point to spend attention on except for transit enthusiasts and workers.

At the end of the day, something does not sit well with me at all about free-fare coming after many of its riders are pushed into the metro areas while more affluent folk whose choices are wide get the buffet option menu.

Deep down, I believe free transit is good for the working class (and of course everyone, but especially the working class); but since I haven't seen that operate at all in robust transit options with my years in Europe, I'm more willing to chalk this idea up to misdirected political attention. I see no way that MARTA would be willing to go out on a political limb like that in our current political climate nor do I see any business willing to try something like this out only to reverse their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 09:50 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
The poll options on Curbed's webpage are atrocious. For example the only rational they give for "No" is "No. Could you imagine how crowded and messy MARTA trains and buses would be if anyone could hop on at any time?" I'm questioning the point of this article since the writer makes it abundantly clear fare-free transit's nowhere in the horizon. Since Atlanta likes to toss out study over study over study over decades, this is pretty much a useless point to spend attention on except for transit enthusiasts and workers.

At the end of the day, something does not sit well with me at all about free-fare coming after many of its riders are pushed into the metro areas while more affluent folk whose choices are wide get the buffet option menu.

Deep down, I believe free transit is good for the working class (and of course everyone, but especially the working class); but since I haven't seen that operate at all in robust transit options with my years in Europe, I'm more willing to chalk this idea up to misdirected political attention. I see no way that MARTA would be willing to go out on a political limb like that in our current political climate nor do I see any business willing to try something like this out only to reverse their decision.

Are there any examples of fare-free robust transit systems in the world?

Old 01-22-2020, 12:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
This is utter silliness. I am about as liberal as they come, and am very supportive of the idea of expanded transit, but this is in no way practical.

MARTA is already underfunded - so people want to take away one of its principal funding sources and simultaneously give it away, which will surely lead to at least a marginal increase in ridership? How's that going to work?
It won't, and this push should be thrown to the trash heap.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
It's not a babysitting service
Neither is the street, but what to do about the homeless is a pretty deep rabbit hole.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Are there any examples of fare-free robust transit systems in the world?
Well we'll see what happens in Kansas City.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:24 PM
bu2

https://www.aaronrenn.com/2019/09/10...hey-will-come/

Discussion about it happening in KC. Note that fares are less than 8% of their revenues.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique.../#7288ecdaa00e

Discussion about trends in Europe:
"...Dunkirk joins Tallinn, in Estonia, Luxembourg and 23 smaller French cities in rolling out free transportation in what is clearly a trend in reinterpreting the idea of cities as a service, while the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, has also been thinking about the idea for some time to help tackle the French capital’s worsening congestion and pollution, and has made public transportation free for kids under 11. Vilnius and Riga are also considering following Tallinn’s strategy...."

Old 01-22-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well we'll see what happens in Kansas City.
I mean, world examples. Truly robust systems...

Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I mean, world examples. Truly robust systems...
Do you classify Atlanta as such?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:45 PM

164 posts, read 170,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behouse View Post
No. The homeless people would take it over immediately. The train is to move people around. It's not a babysitting service
This. Making it free will not increase ridership. It might have the opposite effect.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Do you classify Atlanta as such?
Atlanta doesn't have fare-free transit.

I was asking examples of fare-free transit (robust systems).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta