Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 03:35 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I've given up looking at any article that uses city limits for the statistics.

The city of Atlanta accounts for less than 1/10 of the metro population so it really doesn't tell us ANYTHING about how diverse the region is.

Anyone who lives here, explored outside the city limits or seen the metro statistics knows this and you don't even have to go far since the city limits are so tiny.

Article is misleading and useless to most people who really need to know who diverse any of the those cities are.
Yes.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the study is looking at actual diversity, not just the number of black and white people. By that metric, Atlanta fails miserably. The city is just about entirely black and white. Most of the other minorities live in the suburbs.

Remember: a large African American population does not a diverse city make.
To bold yes it does, but it can't be the only factor, blacks are minority group that contribute to making a place diverse no different than Latinos, Asian etc. The issue is 2 groups alone doesn't make a place diverse.. If you swomp Blacks for Latinos, and city would overwhelmingly be Latino and white it would be same issue. And that's the issue CoA needs other minority groups as well.

But As point out the Metro Area is very diverse. I think list like these which doesn't point stuff like that out are a little misleading. It's like a foreigner reading about America's largest cities list and read Jacksonville and SD before Atlanta. It's very misleading.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
The Atlanta airport and mass transit system (MARTA) is the least diverse airport/trans I've ever seen in my life. If that is indicitive for the entire city of Atlanta, I'd agree that the city too lacks diversity.

Atlanta has not had a White Mayor in 45 years, and have not had a Republican Mayor since the 1800's, so it lacks political diversity too.

I'd say its earned it low diversity ranking.

It doesn't seem to be doing much harm though, the airport is the businest in the USA, and keeps growing, and the population of Atlanta keeps growing. Maybe diversity doesn't matter?

Old 01-26-2020, 06:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
To bold yes it does, but it can't be the only factor, blacks are minority group that contribute to making a place diverse no different than Latinos, Asian etc. The issue is 2 groups alone doesn't make a place diverse.. If you swomp Blacks for Latinos, and city would overwhelmingly be Latino and white it would be same issue. And that's the issue CoA needs other minority groups as well.

But As point out the Metro Area is very diverse. I think list like these which doesn't point stuff like that out are a little misleading. It's like a foreigner reading about America's largest cities list and read Jacksonville and SD before Atlanta. It's very misleading.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:53 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Atlanta airport and mass transit system (MARTA) is the least diverse airport/trans I've ever seen in my life. If that is indicitive for the entire city of Atlanta, I'd agree that the city too lacks diversity.

Atlanta has not had a White Mayor in 45 years, and have not had a Republican Mayor since the 1800's, so it lacks political diversity too.

It doesn't seem to be doing much harm though, the airport is the businest in the USA, and keeps growing, and the population of Atlanta keeps growing. Maybe diversity doesn't matter?
Mayoral races are non partisan.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:53 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:

I am confused by the bold because most of the people in the Airport are travelers and don't even live in GA?

The Marta quote is silly because I ride it everyday and the demographics depends on the location of the route or the event taking place.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
What makes an airport diverse?

Old 01-27-2020, 11:08 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What makes an airport diverse?
Different size terminals, a variety of airlines, lots of different cuisines to eat, different kids of chairs, couches, tables, and desks to sit in/at, also a huge mall with a movie theater or museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta