Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
This is a a great forum.

Ok, we are empty nesters relocating in our 50s from North NJ to Atlanta on our own time. We live in a very diverse town here.

I am from NC and use to live in Doraville a couple of decades ago as a single man. Wife is from Brooklyn. In my many visits to the ATL, a lot has changed so I thought it best to ping this forum to get recommendations on where to live.

Specifics:
-A house / sexy condo with at least 3000 sq. (2 college aged kids - we are slightly worried they may come back home)

-We would like to keep it below 575K. We want safety.

-We have been several times over the years and we seem to have narrowed our search down to Cobb County (Mableton/Smryna, closer to Vinnings the better it seems) or up Hwy 400 (Roswell, Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, etc). Multiple people have told us to stay away from the South Metro right now since it is up and coming.

-Not sure what area I'm going to be working in since I have to find a position (I'm in Tech)

-We are also looking for a small piece of commercial office space for a therapist. Not sure where even begin with this one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 12:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,163,866 times
Strongly suggest you line up work before buying. You don’t want to live in North Fulton and work in Midtown or vice versa. For IT the 400 corridor to midtown generally has the most opportunities.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,873,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Strongly suggest you line up work before buying. You don’t want to live in North Fulton and work in Midtown or vice versa. For IT the 400 corridor to midtown generally has the most opportunities.
This is great advice. Secure a position first, and if you're in Tech the central spine of the Metro from Midtown to Alpharetta is the place. There are multiple townhomes with commercial space on the ground floor within your budget scattered around town. There are some very nice ones in Brookhaven, right behind MARTA's Gold Line station on Apple Valley Rd that I've seen.

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 01-26-2020, 01:36 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,407,009 times
Hi and welcome back!

I have several friends here in Atlanta from Brooklyn so she will be in great company. (I love visiting there!)

Good advice here; find your Tech job first. Then, locate your desired area within commuting distance. The house/sexy condo and therapist space will fall into line. Promise.

Good luck with the job search!

Old 02-01-2020, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,001 times
Thanks Everyone

Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM

492 posts, read 531,411 times
Brooklyn and New Jersey accents aren't really big head turners here in Alpharetta.. You will have plenty of company..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta