U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 AM

30,412 posts, read 28,592,650 times

Advertisements

I noticed one of the topics in an upcoming seminar is whether millennials will continue to flock to hipsturbia's and 18 hour suburban cities. It kind of makes sense when you think about it.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 AM

5,873 posts, read 4,307,951 times
What's an 18-hour suburban city?

Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 AM

574 posts, read 240,856 times
Projected migratory patterns continue to prove that the majority of the world's populations are moving to cities or suburban areas due to resource access and the concentration of jobs. It would make sense that anyone alive during that time, including millennials, are part of that pattern.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:05 AM

2,127 posts, read 2,370,524 times
I had to look up the definition. Millennials will go where they can get a financial foothold and have some semblance of a rewarding social and active lifestyle.

Even some of these 2nd tier cities are experiencing rent hikes and CoL inflation

Old 01-28-2020, 02:06 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,595,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I noticed one of the topics in an upcoming seminar is whether millennials will continue to flock to hipsturbia's and 18 hour suburban cities. It kind of makes sense when you think about it.
I think you might get a better response if you define the terms (I looked them up), and they are both a little esoteric.

That said, most of these types of trends go in waves, changing when the underlying dynamics change. I am a millennial, and I desire (and moved to/near) both of these. Marietta functions as a hipsturbia, and Atlanta is an 18 hour city. I enjoy that I get the classic suburban qualities in East Cobb, but Marietta Square/Roswell/Woodstock/Alpharetta give me some of the urban aspects I still desire (programming, coffee shops, non-chain restaurants, etc.)

We are also seeing trends where 18 hour cities are getting too expensive, and people are moving to lesser known, former rust belt towns that are extremely cheap and urban, and are not being invested in.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:58 PM

4,984 posts, read 4,105,587 times
I was thinking about this the other day. Many suburbs have tried to emulate urban aspects in downtown areas or with new builds. A lot of criticism is thrown their way (on this forum as well) that it's just drive to urbanism but many are ok with that. There's been a lot of success. I just moved to Alpharetta off Haynes Bridge and 400 and I'm really excited. My commute is <15 minutes and a breeze. I'm only 5-10 minutes from more bars and non-chain restaurants than I need. If I just want to hit up a bar or two with some friend I can absolutely do that. It's a much different feel from Snellville where going to a bar meant Chilis, Applebees or the weird bar where everyone was 50+ and getting drunk on a Tuesday night. That's not so much the case here (well, there might still be people getting drunk on a Tuesday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Even some of these 2nd tier cities are experiencing rent hikes and CoL inflation
True in the suburbs as well. It's still cheaper than in town areas but it's not exactly cheap. Same case when I lived north of Dallas.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 928,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Homeownership and fertility-rates amongst millennials is much lower than boomers or gen-Xers when comparing similar ages across the three groups. I bet there will less demand for 4,000 sq. foot, 6 bedroom houses in the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
What's an 18-hour suburban city?
I would also I like to know this.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 PM

30,412 posts, read 28,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Homeownership and fertility-rates amongst millennials is much lower than boomers or gen-Xers when comparing similar ages across the three groups. I bet there will less demand for 4,000 sq. foot, 6 bedroom houses in the coming years.
The suburbs offer a whole lot of other options.

There are gazillions of apartments, condos, townhouses and smaller single family homes in the suburbs. Great shopping, jobs, parks, trails, employment centers, bars, restaurants, cultural amenities, you name it.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 PM

6,718 posts, read 6,321,117 times
Here is some more background on the "Hipsturbia" trend that arjay is referring to...

"HIPSTURBIA – The “New Cool Urban Suburb” attracting Millennials and Babyboomers Alike" (Real Wealth Network)

Old 01-28-2020, 07:05 PM

6,718 posts, read 6,321,117 times
‘Hipsturbia’: It’s What All The Cool Suburbs Are Doing And It’s A 2020 Trend (Forbes)

What to Know About “Hipsturbia,” the Biggest Trend in Real Estate
...Millennials and Gen Z are targeting cool suburbs, sometimes not by choice
(Inside Hook)

What's Happening with Hipsturbia in Atlanta (Urban Land Institute Atlanta)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta