Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times

Advertisements

I'm a 15 minute drive to work (~4 miles, dt Atlanta to dt Atlanta), around 8AM weekdays, and about 6 minute return around 1P weekdays. My partner's ride is about 15-20 minute drive to work (dt Atlanta to Buckhead/Sandy Springs) around 5AM everyday and 45min-1.15hr return (either city streets or I-75 South). Your commute doesn't sound bad at all, but if it edged close to 40-50min both ways, I'd personally think about relocating. Job commute doesn't have to be insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
My current commute is about 22 min in the morning, and about 25 in the evening. It's easy and all back roads, which I love. I actually enjoy the length because it gives me alone time to focus on good music, podcasts, or talk radio (I have young kids at home so don't get much quiet time!).

I used to do a reverse commute on 400, which was stressful because you could go from driving 80 mph to bumper to bumper in a few seconds. I was rear ended twice due to this.

I think I could handle 35 min at most for a regular commute. Anything regularly above that would start to annoy me.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
My current commute is about 22 min in the morning, and about 25 in the evening. It's easy and all back roads, which I love. I actually enjoy the length because it gives me alone time to focus on good music, podcasts, or talk radio (I have young kids at home so don't get much quiet time!).

I used to do a reverse commute on 400, which was stressful because you could go from driving 80 mph to bumper to bumper in a few seconds. I was rear ended twice due to this.

I think I could handle 35 min at most for a regular commute. Anything regularly above that would start to annoy me.
ATL drivers are something else. The only major city in which I can see a constant pattern of drivers SWEEPING across SEVERAL LANES at a time, with no signal. It's like they're trying to be figure skaters. In any other major city, you might see this is less than 1% of cars on the road. Here, I would guesstimate that to be closer to 10%.

CLT drivers are unremarkable.
RDU drivers are unremarkable.
SFO drivers are unremarkable.

ATL drivers... whew...

Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
ATL drivers are something else. The only major city in which I can see numerous drivers SWEEPING across SEVERAL LANES at a time, with no signal, within 60 seconds. It's like they're trying to be figure skaters.

ATL drivers... whew...
Hey, when I lived in Alabama for a while, drivers would slow down to a near stop as they enter the highway. It's called an ACCELERATION lane for a reason; accelerating to the speed of the traffic you're merging into. Just as dangerous as what you describe.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Hey, when I lived in Alabama for a while, drivers would slow down to a near stop as they enter the highway. It's called an ACCELERATION lane for a reason; accelerating to the speed of the traffic you're merging into. Just as dangerous as what you describe.
The difference in speed is what kills. Yep.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:06 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
ATL drivers are something else. The only major city in which I can see a constant pattern of drivers SWEEPING across SEVERAL LANES at a time, with no signal. It's like they're trying to be figure skaters. In any other major city, you might see this is less than 1% of cars on the road. Here, I would guesstimate that to be closer to 10%.

ATL drivers... whew...
Yes, I know what you are referring to, although I've also seen it in Chicago and LA. It goes hand in hand with the gap in speeds I see on the highway. In other areas, there might be a 10 mph gap between the fastest and slowest car on the highway in a given mile stretch of road. In Atlanta, it might be a 35 mph gap, with the car going 95 often crossing lanes with no signal.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:09 PM

821 posts, read 726,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
About 30 minutes tops, and hopefully half that.
Same. The reason I moved ITP. My wife mentioned that we might have to move in a few years if we can't get the kid into a charter school and I'm already dreading the increased commute time and not living in the city.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
My commute used to be 35 minutes, but after two near misses involving potentially fatal accidents, we moved closer to work. Now my commute is usually 3 minutes, or sometimes up to 5 minutes if I get caught at the traffic light between my house and work. Wish we had made the move years ago. Sure, my kid no longer goes to one of the “top schools”, but her new school has actually been a better fit and it’s made things better overall.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 PM

356 posts, read 316,929 times
50 min or less and I’m good. 30 min or less and I’m great.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Western Alabama between Tuscaloosa and the state line of Misssissippi is like the friggen Autobahn. I cant count the number of times I've been passed or tailgated while doing 80 MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta