Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM

90 posts, read 412,575 times

Advertisements

I think the OP would be suprised by what he/she could get in East Cobb for that price range. I purchased in May 2007 and most of the areas in East Cobb that I could not have afford have come down nearly $50K. Therefore you can get a house that was previously $320 in East Cobb for $270K now. I have to agree with letting go of the new house for the sake of schools. Plus in this kind of market unless you are the last in the new neighborhood I don't think its a good idea to buy into a new development. Many that I've seen have the first buyers who paid one price and now they are trying to unload the last few homes for major reductions. So if you are one of the last in the development then go ahead.. but I'd stay away from anywhere that's just building or only half full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,683 times
If you are on the corporate gypsy relo train like me, it is always good for resale to be in a great school system. The lower priced houses in Walton, Pope and Lassiter sell very quickly.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

162 posts, read 683,647 times
Congrats on your offer hope you enjoy Wellstar! As far as the schools I would stay away from Cooper Middle and McEachern High. Not that they are bad they just are going down hill pretty fast!! Lovinggood Middle and Hillgrove High are in that general vacinity of the Powder Springs/West Cobb area. New construction in that area is pretty high but you can find an affordable resale and upgrade. Good luck to you.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Powder Springs Elementary: mediocre to poor school. It's really gone down hill over the past five years.

Cooper Middle: Not really a good school.

McEachern High: A mediocre to poor school. Was once one of the best performing high schools in Cobb County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
This will give a listing of the ratings for local schools in the Powder Springs area: Powder Springs schools - Powder Springs public schools - Powder Springs school ratings - Best Powder Springs schools

Several of my neighbors here in Powder Springs have moved a few miles North in order to be in the Hillgrove High School district over the last couple of years. McEachern isn't "bad" compared to some metro schools, but it's not as good as it used to be. You have a few wannabe gang-bangers going there these days and according to neighbor's kids, it's got worse as a result. At Hillgrove you tend to avoid more of this. Can't comment on the younger-aged schools in that area but the link above may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
Congrats on your offer hope you enjoy Wellstar! As far as the schools I would stay away from Cooper Middle and McEachern High. Not that they are bad they just are going down hill pretty fast!! Lovinggood Middle and Hillgrove High are in that general vacinity of the Powder Springs/West Cobb area. New construction in that area is pretty high but you can find an affordable resale and upgrade. Good luck to you.
2yrs later....are the feelings still mixed (if I've read this post correctly) concerning Cooper Middle and McEachern High?? I have a sister-in-law w/kids in them who speaks highly of them today...so I am a little confused. My family will be traveling from Turkey to "survey the land" during Spring Break (for housing, schooling, etc.). I also thought I narrowed down my location (for housing and schools - in 'relatively' safe communities )to Decatur (or surrounding cities) but again, she speaks highly of Hiram and Cobb County.

Great info!! I'm reading and re-reading all the sticky notes (relocating to the A) and will eventually go back and answer all the questions needed for help but finally saw this post asking the right question although 2yrs past and thought I'd re-ask here vice opening a new post same topic. Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
looking for answers also.

.... my husband and i are thinking of moving to or NEAR powder springs - but kid´s school are the priority (they are 10 yrs and 8 years).

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta