Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 06:27 AM

116 posts, read 212,448 times

Advertisements

Still looking for an apartment in the Atlanta area while attending GSU. Of the two routes, which is the easier to travel 75 or 85? If an apartment is within 10 miles of the college, how long a commute should I expect? Would a female college student feel safe in the Buckhead or North Druid Hills sections of the city or would it be better to be closer to the college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 06:50 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Sounds like Brookhaven could be a good fit for you. Safe, walkable, great shopping, and a straight shot via train to the university.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:34 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
75 and 85 converge, though 75 coming from the north is a little better than 85 as you approach the merge. For an apartment within 10 miles, at rush hour, it could be 15 minutes or an hour. You'd be fine in Buckhead or North Druid Hills. Another direction you can look is due east from Georgia State through Avondale. You might find something close to a MARTA station and could use the train to get to school.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:47 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
Still looking for an apartment in the Atlanta area while attending GSU. Of the two routes, which is the easier to travel 75 or 85? If an apartment is within 10 miles of the college, how long a commute should I expect? Would a female college student feel safe in the Buckhead or North Druid Hills sections of the city or would it be better to be closer to the college?
75 is definitely better than 85, without a doubt. In fact, 75 moves pretty good until one reaches the connector (where 75/85/400 all converge by DT). The two times I needed to go near the college, I felt mildly unsafe both times. Lots of sketchy characters, two came up to my car asking for money while I was parked. There's also several large homeless camps underneath the bridges near the school. I would feel safe in both Buckhead or North Druid Hills.

As for how long 10 miles would take, it really depends on which direction and what portion of it is highway, and if she would be commuting during rush hour or not. Generally speaking .5mi/min is a pretty good rule of thumb, so perhaps 20-30 mins. Once again, depends on a lot of factors.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:51 AM

821 posts, read 725,927 times
Buckhead and North Druid Hills are two of the nicest neighborhoods in Atlanta. That said, I went to GSU and when I was there I lived in Inman Park. We found an apartment by just driving around. The commute was amazing. I would suggest getting in your car and driving around there and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Buckhead and North Druid Hills are two of the nicest neighborhoods in Atlanta. That said, I went to GSU and when I was there I lived in Inman Park. We found an apartment by just driving around. The commute was amazing. I would suggest getting in your car and driving around there and the surrounding neighborhoods.
Anything nice along the east MARTA line would be worth looking at (even if you plan on just driving). If you are looking at North Druid Hills area—maybe look closer to North Dekalb Mall—you could park at the Avondale or East Lake MARTA stations and take the train in. (MARTA has been reducing their parking, though —East Lake is usually a safe bet.)

Old 04-09-2020, 01:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Does anyone know if the apartments off Dekalb Industrial are okay? They might be a good fit for a GSU student? Close to MARTA and downtown Decatur—there is newer stuff near the Decatur Walmart. And I am assuming that you have looked at the dorms at GSU. When we toured there for my oldest there seemed to be a lot more female names on the doors than male (mix-gender floors, single gender suites).

Old 04-09-2020, 02:58 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Commute to Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like Brookhaven could be a good fit for you. Safe, walkable, great shopping, and a straight shot via train to the university.
Arjay57 has the right idea, i.e. to live near a MARTA rail line & then use the MARTA train to get into the city center.

GSU's campus is directly served by the Georgia State station stop on the East line and is also a short walk away from the 5 Points Station, the central train line intersection/transfer station of the MARTA rail system.

I commuted 25 miles into the city and specifically to midtown during my last decade of work & after initially using the GRTA bus system operated by the state of Georgia, I switched over to using the MARTA train my last 2 years.
Boy, was that something I wished I had done years earlier! (The only down side of that was that I had to drive 10 miles to a train station)

https://www.itsmarta.com/

Old 04-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Does anyone know if the apartments off Dekalb Industrial are okay? They might be a good fit for a GSU student? Close to MARTA and downtown Decatur—there is newer stuff near the Decatur Walmart. And I am assuming that you have looked at the dorms at GSU. When we toured there for my oldest there seemed to be a lot more female names on the doors than male (mix-gender floors, single gender suites).
She'll be a graduate student and won't be living in a dorm. Since we haven't been able to get down to Atlanta, we're doing the best next thing - internet searching. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
75 is definitely better than 85, without a doubt. In fact, 75 moves pretty good until one reaches the connector (where 75/85/400 all converge by DT). The two times I needed to go near the college, I felt mildly unsafe both times. Lots of sketchy characters, two came up to my car asking for money while I was parked. There's also several large homeless camps underneath the bridges near the school. I would feel safe in both Buckhead or North Druid Hills.

As for how long 10 miles would take, it really depends on which direction and what portion of it is highway, and if she would be commuting during rush hour or not. Generally speaking .5mi/min is a pretty good rule of thumb, so perhaps 20-30 mins. Once again, depends on a lot of factors.
Now I'm a bit worried. Is GSU not a safe college? One of her classes is an early evening class. She'll be in the area of Decatur Street and Luckie Street (I believe). Would walking to her car in a parking lot/deck be dangerous? Or walking to the MARTA terminal be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta