Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times

Advertisements

I think Smyrna bc it's also close to Buckhead where a lot of AA professionals go to socialize/shop etc. Schools are better too. I think by neighborhood she could find at least majority black if not more, but the area is definitely truly diverse w/ white, black, latino and asian. Schooldigger lists Campbell Middle School as 45% black, 40% latino, 9% white. Of course this doesn't capture the entire population but is a snapshot of families w/ kids in the public school system. . .still gives you an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:21 PM

761 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I would try the Camp Creek Area, Fayetteville, Fairburn, and East Point. Being that you are coming from Boston, Gwinnett and Fayette County will have the stronger school systems.
If you choose Fayetteville and want a predominantly African American area, then you will want to look in the northern portion of Fayetteville (Fayette County and Sandy Creek High districts). The southern portion of Fayetteville (Starr's Mill) is not very diverse. It's probably less than 5% African American.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:02 PM

57 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think of all the places listed so far Smyrna is the best if the op can get past it’s not majority African American, but enough to feel comfortable as you do. I’ve been through the area myself and like it.
Thank you all for responding!

I’m definitely open to a very diverse area, I just want to feel comfortable. I currently live in a predominantly Caucasian area with less than 2% AA and I rarely see any other races. So, I find I yearn to be an area with likeminded people with similar life styles. I just don’t want to live in an area ( like I currently do) where I’m the only minority on the block or the only one out and about.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflycricket View Post

I’m definitely open to a very diverse area, I just want to feel comfortable. I currently live in a predominantly Caucasian area with less than 2% AA and I rarely see any other races. So, I find I yearn to be an area with likeminded people with similar life styles. I just don’t want to live in an area ( like I currently do) where I’m the only minority on the block or the only one out and about.
I get it. If you don’t need predominantly AA, then I think that opens up a lot of good areas. I live in north marietta and find the mix to be pretty good and most everyone gets along well. In my gym for example I have friends that are white, aa, middle eastern, Asian, Brazilian, Hispanic, etc. the neat thing is everyone talks to each other and gets along well. One of my aa friends and I were talking before the virus and we were discussing how everyone gets along so well that we almost feel like we are in a social club. I’m Asian and am very happy here. I live close to the sprayberry hs and Lassiter hs. Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:12 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:

You won't have an issue with that in most of the metro area, it's not like Boston at all(so many transplants from all over the country). So I definitely stand by my recommendation of Smyrna. Just get used to driving more and taking public transportation less

Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
I agree about Smyrna being a good area for you. It's basically northwest of Atlanta just outside of the I-285 "perimeter" and south of Marietta. That leg of I-285 is not nearly as congested as it is in the northeast quadrant of the city.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:

You won't find too many areas in the metro area that are that lopsided. I'm in Alpharetta right now and it's definitely not all white. I'm out on the Greenway a lot and I see a lot of diversity. And not just the typical 4 race groupings. South Asian, East Asian, Middle Eastern, 1st gen African, eastern European, Hispanic, etc.
Here's the racial breakdown of Alpharetta High to give you an idea.
Only 20% black, but also only 45% white which is pretty common in a lot of the north metro area. Some places a little less diverse, but some even more diverse.

Unfortunately, Alpharetta is probably gonna be out of your price range except for maybe an older condo. I rent an apartment and I'm gonna have to keep renting for the time being.

Gwinnett could have your price range. It's known for its diversity and for having several very strong schools. But most of the nicer areas are gonna be farther from Atlanta.
I'm not as familiar with Cobb but it is really nice.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 PM

139 posts, read 313,944 times
Smyrna is a great area. I use to live there. Lots of amenities and commute into Atlanta is not bad. The only thing that drove my family out is the schools. We had to go further out into Marietta. When people are saying "good schools" in Smyrna, they mean compared to Atlanta schools with ratings at 1-3. Smyrnas schools top out at 5 (out of 10) which are the best ones. I do believe you have to dig into school ratings and look a particular metrics, so take some of them with a grain of salt. But still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta