Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 AM

57 posts, read 45,721 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
as the title suggests, I am a single mom to a 13yr old and I'm looking to relocate from Boston to Atlanta. I would prefer purchasing a home up to 300k. I would prefer an area that is mostly professional/middle class African American. I have no connections to ATL so I need an area that is welcoming and has plenty to do for myself and child. I will be working remote, so not concerned about the future of commuting.

can anyone suggest an ideal area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
Maybe SW Atlanta or Camp Creek?
This area predominantly African American, as in the schools will be over 90% black. Also try Marietta, maybe Henry County, Fayetteville, some parts of Gwinnett County as well. But SW Atlanta and South Fulton are your best bet.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:40 PM

57 posts, read 45,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
Maybe SW Atlanta or Camp Creek?
This area predominantly African American, as in the schools will be over 90% black. Also try Marietta, maybe Henry County, Fayetteville, some parts of Gwinnett County as well. But SW Atlanta and South Fulton are your best bet.
Thanks!!

Are these surburan areas with professionals?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:35 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I would try the Camp Creek Area, Fayetteville, Fairburn, and East Point. Being that you are coming from Boston, Gwinnett and Fayette County will have the stronger school systems.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflycricket View Post
Thanks!!

Are these surburan areas with professionals?
Yes, mostly. My wife and I know a few people (Mostly professionals) that live (and lived) in the Camp Creek Area, and some north of it (Cascade Area). I know someone (AA)Dentist) that lived there a few years back, but he didn't have kids at the time. He moved closer to town, but never complained about the area when he lived there.

Those areas are well kept till this day, for the most part from what we can tell. Some people put their kids in private schools, some in PS.

There's just about everything one would need in the area (Shopping, Gyms, easy access to the airport, downtown etc). Keep an eye out for excessive apt complexes (Versus Condos). They tend to bring a rotation of people. Makes areas transient. Not being anti-renter or anything. Just saying. Keep that in mind. The Camp Creek Marketplace is considered East Point, so be vigilant. It's no war zone (don't let people scare you). But you just have to apply wisdom (as you should everywhere). You wouldn't leave your purse in plain view in your car, while downtown..why do it in the suburbs? Just don't make yourself a target.

I cannot comment on the schools, since I don't have kids there (or live there), but from my wife's friends' experiences, they weren't and still aren't unhappy with the elementary school (I think it's Randolph or Rudolph Elem). I'll ask her. You can look it up and ask questions as well.

Best bet would be to take a trip when things settle, and look at the area yourself. But disregard anyone telling you it's like the South Bronx or Roxbury. You have people that would make you think certain places are war zones, because they don't check all their boxes. Just apply wisdom, and inspect it yourself. No amount of posts here can match your personal experience or visit. Better yet, rent first and if you like the place, you'll know what to do. Do a home search in the 30331 zip code. You can get an idea of what the houses are like, etc.

Best of Luck.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:22 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
I agree that Cascade is a nice area and has beautiful neighborhoods but it doesn’t have quite the same breadth of amenities as other areas of the metro.

I have personally known a few African American professionals who live in the Smyrna area.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 AM

I really enjoy living in the Smyrna area! I believe it's perfect for families and diverse. I have a few friends raising kids here and there aren't many complaints. Although her housing budget may steer towards a townhome and not a SFH. Also, Smyrna is a lot closer to better shopping and the airport is about 20-30 minutes away. I would personally choose Smyrna over Camp Creek, SW Atlanta, Fairburn etc.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
I really enjoy living in the Smyrna area! I believe it's perfect for families and diverse. I have a few friends raising kids here and there aren't many complaints. Although her housing budget may steer towards a townhome and not a SFH. Also, Smyrna is a lot closer to better shopping and the airport is about 20-30 minutes away. I would personally choose Smyrna over Camp Creek, SW Atlanta, Fairburn etc.
Just curious if you would pick Smyrna still since the op doesn’t want diversity but rather majority African American ? I agree that overall I like Smyrna best too.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Definitely! Smyrna has a decent sized number of black professionals. I don't feel out of place here, compared to Johns Creek or Alpharetta. I lived/worked in that area for a few months and it is nice, but I feel more at home here in Smyrna/Vinings.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:22 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Definitely! Smyrna has a decent sized number of black professionals. I don't feel out of place here, compared to Johns Creek or Alpharetta. I lived/worked in that area for a few months and it is nice, but I feel more at home here in Smyrna/Vinings.
I think of all the places listed so far Smyrna is the best if the op can get past it’s not majority African American, but enough to feel comfortable as you do. I’ve been through the area myself and like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta