Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 4,485 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We may be moving to the Atlanta Area from the suburbs of NJ. My husband is a dog trainer in NJ and has made a good living here but the franchise has an opening in the Atlanta area and I have some family there. Would also be nice to have warmer weather. Will be coming down over the summer to pick out a neighborhood - we are currently looking into Alpharetta and Milton (We hear East Cobb is also nice) but hope to rent first to make sure we like the area. I like the small-town feel of the suburbs with at least a half acre of land but it would also be nice to have somewhere local to walk/bike to, even a coffee shop! Hoping to meet other families before school starts - the schools are so much bigger than NJ so I'm nervous about kids adapting but if they meet some nice friends in advance, I think they'll be fine. Any advice from others who have been in our shoes would be great. Thank you!

Last edited by Cynthiahcosta; 05-14-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,301,254 times
I moved to the Atlanta area from Long Island a bit more than 2 years ago (with a stop in FL in-between). My family loves it here and we live in Milton. We rented for close to a year in Crabapple first before we bought. My kids haven't had many issues in adapting to elementary and middle school.

Milton isn't a "walk to a coffee shop" area but you generally get 1 acre+. Depending on how much house you want and where you're looking at $3K+ a month in rent. You didn't mention a budget for rent/buy but FYI.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:22 PM

Great, thank you for posting!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times
We are NJ natives, now in Milton. Like MarkJames, we spent time(3 yrs) in FL first. My kids hated FL, they loved GA. yes, the schools are much, much bigger than those in NJ, but we never felt like the boys were nameless faces here. It's been 8 years since the last one graduated Milton HS, and their teachers are still in touch. The schools are big, but the class sizes are on par with NJ. And the facilities are amazing.

We really appreciate the space we have here, but I don't consider Milton bike friendly, outside of the actual neighborhoods. Not too many sidewalks, lots of curves and hills to navigate. Fortunately, the Greenway is close by, and you can ride safely for miles.

We were invited to many gatherings in our neighborhood right after the moving vans left, and made friends quickly. Your kids will be fine, hopefully the schools will reopen in the fall which will ease the transition for them. It honestly wasn't an issue for our own. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,301,254 times
Another consideration if your kids are tech focused - a new public STEM high school will be opening Fall 2021 in downtown Alpharetta. Acceptance will be based upon lottery I believe.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Thank you both so much! So helpful to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: