Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trianrida View Post
I thought they were in Arizona or something?? Buckhead? Are you sure those ain't just muts??
No, coyotes are actually fairly common in the Atlanta metro.

As the second link above says: "Vinings residents report that 50 cats have been lost to coyotes. Homeowners have hired a professional animal trapper to help alleviate the problem."

We've had a few kitties go missing here in Mableton as well (my next door neighbors, not me personally, as our cats are indoor-only), and I'm sure it's because we have so much wooded land in this area and they have thousands of places to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
My girlfriend has seen them in suburban Maryland as well. Oddly enough, she didn't want to get a burro either.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Yup. Coyotes are just about everywhere. You need to not leave animal (cat, dog) food out and if you have an outside cat you are taking your chances.

Removal generally doesn't work, as I understand it, because within a year another pair of Coyotes will move in.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
We can hear them howling at night in our East Cobb neighborhood and my spouse saw one down near Sandy Plains a week or two ago. Keep those cats inside!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,725 times
We had a large number of Coyotes in our area back in CT. As another poster mentioned you could hear them howling at night. It was so eerie, like something out of an old Bella Lugosi movie Many people in the area lost their cats and even small dogs. We rarely saw them during the day, sometimes early in the morning. The thing that concerned me the most was rabies. They pretty much stayed away from humans but if a coyote is rabid that is a whole different story. I've read that there are some areas of the country where coyotes aren't even afraid of humans anymore.

I have a question for AtlantaGreg30127. You mentioned the fact that you couldn't discharage a firearm at a coyote if you felt you were in danger. Would that include a BB gun or Paintball gun? I was thinking that might be enough to spook them from coming back into your yard. What do you think?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I have a question for AtlantaGreg30127. You mentioned the fact that you couldn't discharage a firearm at a coyote if you felt you were in danger. Would that include a BB gun or Paintball gun? I was thinking that might be enough to spook them from coming back into your yard. What do you think?
As far as I know, the counties here all consider BB guns and CO air power/pellet guns as "firearms". County-by-County laws vary, but most if not all towns and cities in Georgia have laws that forbid you to discharge a firearm within the town limits, even if it's shooting at a target or just into the air. There have actually been cases in metro Atlanta where people shot at things (and missed), only to have the projectile go into someone else's home (or someone) a distance away. Lawsuits, prison, yadda yadda.

I'm not sure about paint guns. I know that tazer-style stun guns like the cops use are forbidden for civilians, because they shoot dart projectiles (but stun guns where you have to touch the person are legal in many areas here so far). I would THINK that since you're required to wear protective eye gear in places that have them, and since they're higher powered, that at least in some places they are not legal to shoot. You'd have to ask your local cops about that one.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I'm obviously not AtlantaGreg, but a motion-sensor water sprinkler might be something to consider. :-)

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I still say shoot em

Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,725 times
Talk about a coincidence....My son came in yesterday to tell me he had seen a coyote in our small patch of woods behind our home (I hadn't mentioned this discussion). I was pretty surprised at this because there is still quite a bit of construction taking place around our home. Then again, it doesn't stop the heard of deer that visits our yard.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
I'm a bit concerned because we do have a cat that's indoor/outdoor. She was feral when we got her 15-16 years ago. I think she's too old now to adapt to being strictly indoors. Our neighborhood here is intown, so while we have rabbits and an occasional raccoon (and a family of hawk--fabulous), we don't have coyotes. I might have to get a burro, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta