Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 01:48 PM

297 posts, read 270,978 times

Advertisements

My company is going to reassess the situation at the end of the month and likely keep the several thousand people we have in the Atlanta area at home unless your position is essential to operations onsite. I imagine they will move this out until April and again reassess. We are exploring options for full-time work from home which gives companies a significant hiring advantage. I am hoping that we still have office and desks after this is over. We do have a highly collaborative work environment and there are situations and days where it would be nice to brainstorm in a group setting face to face. It's also nice to see and mingle with co-workers rather than be locked up in the house all day.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'll bet my life savings that a $15/hr federal minimum wage isn't going to happen under the current administration.

Much ado about nothing.
Never say never. While I’m not thrilled with some of the repercussions that it brings what it will mean is more people actually paying income taxes.

Biden is going to have to pick his battles though.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:50 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
A higher minimum wage =/= every minimum wage worker walking away with $15 Hr anyway.

A higher minimum wage = every fast food chain, grocer, retail chain, ect switching more to automated kiosks and 2 or 3 employees total staffed for the entire operating hours all working for $15 Hr. While 20 or so previously employed minimum wage workers end up on unemployment.

Just like those bank tellers at who immediately encourage you to go to a Kiosk when there is no line, practically giving their jobs away to a machine.. granted they don't work for minimum wage, making their jobs all the more at risk.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
A higher minimum wage =/= every minimum wage worker walking away with $15 Hr anyway.

A higher minimum wage = every fast food chain, grocer, retail chain, ect switching more to automated kiosks and 2 or 3 employees total staffed for the entire operating hours all working for $15 Hr. While 20 or so previously employed minimum wage workers end up on unemployment.

Just like those bank tellers at who immediately encourage you to go to a Kiosk when there is no line, practically giving their jobs away to a machine.. granted they don't work for minimum wage, making their jobs all the more at risk.
Understood, and that’s one of the negative repercussions. It also means that employers will get pickier and demand more from their employees, at least until things stabilize with a new normal.

Costco pays a minimum of $15 an hour I believe. But they won’t take just anyone. If the minimum wage goes up they’ll probably raise it to $17 an hour but again, won’t just take anyone.

Right now the taxpayer subsidizes anyone making $9 an hour, with various refundable credits, SNAP, etc. These people also pay a net negative income tax rate, paying less in than they get out.

Raise their income and they won’t qualify anymore for these benefits, and will actually pay a small net positive amount to the treasury each year. Everyone contributes their fair share.

That’s if it’s done right.

But back to the subject - yes, with a higher labor expense you’ll see changes in facilities in Atlanta offices. Some things like office cleaning will be necessary but you won’t see receptionists, cafeteria workers (beyond any minimum amount) or other roles that typically are paid a lot less than $15 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta