Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 11:53 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I do understand. Personally there’s a lot about Japan and Tokyo that I love. While I find the Japanese to be a bit too conformist in general, they are respectful and cooperative with authorities. Imagine how quickly a shooting crime would be solved there.
For me, monocultural or not, if I had the opportunity to leave this country for Japan I would be gone without the slightest hesitation. They are just light years more effective at getting things done than we are here in America.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:02 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
So all of you folks criticizing KLB have not proposed an "actual" solution on what would solve the issues at hand. It's easy to be critical from a keyboard.

What would you have done differently? And doing nothing is NOT an answer. Police reform IS needed. But keeping crime low and protecting your citizens is ALSO needed. Community policing is also needed. Culture shifts are also needed.

Chime in "experts"....
You don't immediately fire and call them murderers. You immediately suspend and say it will be fully investigated quickly. Anybody with a clear mind could see what would happen when they charged the 4 who didn't taser the two in the car with assault. The charge against the two upset the police, but they would have gotten over it. Charging the rest had to put a chill in people who had sat through water bottles and firecrackers being thrown at them getting charged with a crime for doing their job.

Then Bottoms light the fuse with both the community and the police by calling them murderers.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
LOL. I'm sure many Japanese people will be in a hurry to move to Atlanta, of all places.
At this point I don't blame them, but that's why you have to give them an incentive to move here (tax breaks, bonuses, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In actuality its more plausible than you think. Many foreigners (especially Asians) are heavily invested in Atlanta's real-estate (just google this, there's plenty of information about it) combined with its tolerance to diversity and heavy education sector (GA-Tech, Emory, ect) as well as affordability, its one of the more hospitable metro's for them. It just isn't up to par in terms of Japanese infrastructure but this is more of an America problem than an Atlanta problem.
But most of the Asians that move to Atlanta are Chinese and Korean. Not many Japanese, but that's also the case with most American cities, even on the West Coast like Los Angeles. The Japanese population in general is no where near the 1980's level when their economy peaked and they had a lot of businesses here.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
Kemp stepping up to mitigate Bottoms failures in the city of Atlanta.

Quote:
Gov. Brian Kemp will deploy as many as 1,000 Georgia National Guard troops to protect state buildings in Atlanta on Monday following a burst of violence across the city that left four dead, including an 8-year-old girl, and saw the ransacking of the headquarters of the Georgia State Patrol.
Quote:
Kemp, a Republican, issued the order after threatening late Sunday to “take action” to curb the unrest in Atlanta if Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms failed to do so, a move that highlighted the complicated, and increasingly tense, relationship between two of the state’s most prominent politicians.
Quote:
Bottoms did not immediately address Kemp’s decision but issued her own plea to residents to end the violence. At least 93 people were shot in Atlanta between May 31 – roughly when the George Floyd protests began – and June 27. That’s roughly double the number from the same span a year ago.
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...j0zkkoO9GLNPL/

Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 922,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
At this point I don't blame them, but that's why you have to give them an incentive to move here (tax breaks, bonuses, etc.).

But most of the Asians that move to Atlanta are Chinese and Korean. Not many Japanese, but that's also the case with most American cities, even on the West Coast like Los Angeles. The Japanese population in general is no where near the 1980's level when their economy peaked and they had a lot of businesses here.
Korea's infrastructure is as impressive as Japan's. I prefer Seoul's subway over Tokyo's. However, Japan has a superior bullet train service although KTX is no slouch. China also has many cities with impressive infrastructure and their bullet trains are also impressive. I also believe Koreans score higher than their Japanese counterparts in academics. The Chinese buy a lot of real estate everywhere. I think in Vancouver they drove up the price so high that the average person couldn't afford anything (a $100K house is now a million dollars). https://www.fortunebuilders.com/one-...hinese-buyers/

Old 07-06-2020, 02:40 PM

264 posts, read 100,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
She is directly responsible for the current culture and climate of APD. Do you live in the city? Here is what I suggest you or anyone else do to see for yourself. Ask an APD officer what you can do to help I have asked 4 officers who I have come across randomly in the last 4 weeks and I got the exact same answer(s):

-Vote for Fani Willis in November
-Vote Mayor Bottoms out in the next election

They have no faith in KLB. This isn't going to end anytime soon. More people will be shot and killed and you will come on here and post a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with direct decisions our Mayor made that gave us this current climate. Nobody respects her.

Are you able to provide metrics from a objective credible source for the past 10 years - categorized by the types of crimes? Ideally, one should review trends over longer time periods - at least 6 months worth of data.

So, because of the need for criminal justice reform, additional ongoing training for the Police and the need to remove a few officers from the Police Department, is this a reason why crime is increasing?

My understanding is that the Mayor initially addressed that there needs to be reform in the Police Department. Then, the Mayor explicitly stated that criminal activity needs to be addressed.

But, it appears that what you are stating is that due to the Mayor initially stating that the Police Department needs more training, reform, etc. then the Police Department is not willing to police the community.

Is this correct?

Is it mutually exclusive?

Reform the police and experience an increase in crime or Not reform the police and have a constant amount of crime?

So, the citizens can only have either the current police department without any reform, additional training, etc. or a police department practicing community policing with reform and additional training?

How would you solve the increase in crime?

Old 07-06-2020, 02:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 922,143 times
Quote:
For me, monocultural or not, if I had the opportunity to leave this country for Japan I would be gone without the slightest hesitation. They are just light years more effective at getting things done than we are here in America.
+1 If I had a good job lined up in Seoul or Tokyo, I would leave in a heartbeat. I love traveling to Korea and Japan whenever I get the opportunity.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM

264 posts, read 100,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Proposals? Not my job. But it is hers. She’s been mayor for 3 years now.

She ran for mayor, and had the following platform.

https://keishalancebottoms.com/platform-points/

Make our neighborhoods safer by:

Protecting our neighborhoods with cameras, security patrols, and officer housing.

Implementing a smart recruiting and retention strategy for APD so that the department can attract and retain top-quality officers who share Atlanta’s values.Expanding the city’s youth engagement efforts to provide mentoring, job opportunities and other supportive resources for vulnerable youth and their families.

Increasing APD transparency to make it easier for residents to understand what is happening in their neighborhoods and to make their voices heard within the Department.

How is she doing? And how do these points align with what she’s not doing right now? Are Atlanta neighborhoods safer?

Concur with the use of cameras, security patrols and officer housing to make the neighborhoods safer as well as the other points made.

Would also use cameras, security patrols and officer housing in the various apartments and implement stiffer penalties for repeat offenders effective immediately!

Question - How many citizens would approve of a increase in property tax to fund the above-mentioned enhancements?

Old 07-06-2020, 04:24 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Kemp stepping up to mitigate Bottoms failures in the city of Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...j0zkkoO9GLNPL/
Yeah cool about the state buildings but what about the rest of the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Are you able to provide metrics from a objective credible source for the past 10 years - categorized by the types of crimes? Ideally, one should review trends over longer time periods - at least 6 months worth of data.

So, because of the need for criminal justice reform, additional ongoing training for the Police and the need to remove a few officers from the Police Department, is this a reason why crime is increasing?
Crime has been trending downward in the metro area until the recent protests, after which murders have escalated as high as 86% over the last month:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...EPPXNN2JCNMSU/

but as per the bolded, it wasn't the 'need for reform' that caused the surge but rather firing officers either unaffiliated with certain violations such as firing and jailing 6 officers when only 2 were involved in the tasering, of which caused a backlash as county and backup officers from other regions immediately pulled of the area when they found out they could be jailed for doing their job. Only the officers involved in the actual tasering should have been punished, it was a overreaction. Then she lost complete faith in officers when she acted too quickly to fire Garrett Rolfe -the officer who shot Ray Brooks- without conducting a formal investigation and when Paul Howard was quick to throw 11 charges on him just to throw a 'sentence' on him. After which many APD officers refused to show up in succession, in revolt of what Keisha did, as well as fear for their own protection as they can no longer protect themselves as an officer on the field without risking charges and penalties being thrown at them. Now that they see there is less enforcement and those that are remaining have to be much more careful in how they handle potentially dangerous situations, pretty much gave out-right criminals the freedom they need to carry out their acts without any concern or worry of repercussions. That is what increased crime as of late.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:

but as per the bolded, it wasn't the 'need for reform' that caused the surge but rather firing officers either unaffiliated with certain violations such as firing and jailing 6 officers when only 2 were involved in the tasering, of which caused a backlash as county and backup officers from other regions immediately pulled of the area when they found out they could be jailed for doing their job. Only the officers involved in the actual tasering should have been punished, it was a overreaction. Then she lost complete faith in officers when she acted too quickly to fire Garrett Rolfe -the officer who shot Ray Brooks- without conducting a formal investigation and when Paul Howard was quick to throw 11 charges on him just to throw a 'sentence' on him. After which many APD officers refused to show up in succession, in revolt of what Keisha did, as well as fear for their own protection as they can no longer protect themselves as an officer on the field without risking charges and penalties being thrown at them.
To me what was even more egregious was that KLB used the word “murdered” to describe the Brooks killing even before there were any facts. Firing is one thing, labeling him a murder is even worse. And it created a “her vs them” scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta