Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM

91 posts, read 344,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepoo72 View Post
Tell the chick who was harrassed by "thugs" the last time she was there to get over herself. They were probably messing with her b/c they saw she was acting uncomfortable. Eveerybody just hang out and mind your own business.
First of all, would you tell your mother/sister/daughter to get over it? And since when does someone looking uncomfortable give people a right to harass them? Thats idiotic. It must be uncomfortable enough for a woman to be walking alone at night in an urban area. Getting verbally harassed by multiple people doesnt help the situation. And you say mind your own business, but since when does verbally acosting someone count as minding your own business?

"""Why does it have to be black people that took down Buckhead? Get the hell outta here. In that area ther were all kinds of nationalities trying to get their party on. Indian, Black, Mexican, Asian, and White. Please don't get it twisted. I used to hang out in Buckhead all the time. It was the drunk, obnoxious, wild, fighting ass white people who got on my nerves. Walking through the crowd falling all over people, stepping on toes, fighting with other loud drunk white girls. Don't make blanket statements like that. There were several reasons that Buckhead went under. Don't blame it on black people. "

The FACTS of the matter is that most of the murders in Buckhead invloved the "Hip/Hop" crowd that frequented the clubs there. Now I can sugar coat it and use euphesims like a "wrong element" or a "hip/hop crowd", but the truth is most of the people hanging with that crowd happened to be black. YOU are the one making blanket statements by saying "black people". I simply said a group that happens to be made up of mostly black people. there is a difference because your statement implies all black people in buckhead were causing the trouble, when it was only a select group of mostly black people.

Last edited by MMANN; 04-30-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM

91 posts, read 344,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Are you scared that the "thugs" are going to run off with your girlfriend?...lol HILARIOUS.

I frequent Atlantic Station quite often and I don't see the bad element your speaking of. I really don't see how you could feel threatened in Atlantic Station of all places... The truth is that your just not comfortable around a large amount of Black people and actually being the minority in ANY type of setting...PERIOD.
You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me. Who said that I wasnt a minority myself?

Also, you refuse to address the fact that PEOPLE ARE GETTING SHOT INSIDE RESTARUANTS. That is why I feel threatened going to AS. Not because of the "large amount of black people".
Be my guest and go to AS all the time, but dont complain on this thread when a bullet goes whizzing by your face as you bite into your cheeseburger.

Also, everyone keeps saying that "no where is perfect" and "this is expected in any big city"... That may be true, but this place is supposed to be marketed as a safe, upscale, trendy tourist attraction, yet restaurants are being turning into shooting ranges. I have never heard of anyone opening gun fire in Lenox, Perimeter, Phipps, or any other of Atlanta's upscale malls, because security knows most intelligent people won't go somewhere if they fear they will be shot. Of course theft, shoplifting, muggings, and maybe a carjacking occurs occassionally at all these places, but attempted murder? INSIDE?! Come on!

I have also forgot to mention the body that was found a year or so ago stabbed to death in the bushes right near the shuttle stop in AS. That was Atlantic Stations +1, wake up call, whatever you want to call it, but clearly the situation is getting worse.

Although I have never been, I am sure no restaurants in Times Square are experiencing this type of crime. AS or the City of Atlanta needs to do something.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
First of all, would you tell your mother/sister/daughter to get over it? And since when does someone looking uncomfortable give people a right to harass them? Thats idiotic. It must be uncomfortable enough for a woman to be walking alone at night in an urban area. Getting harassed doesnt help the situation. And you say mind your own business, but since when does verbally acosting someone count as minding your own business?
I don't think that should be called harass if guys just verbally picked on them without any further action, per si. Some young guys like to tease with young girls, particulary those beautiful girls. You know people are different, some are more aggresive, and others are more inward. So long as they don't cross the line, I think there is nothing to panic about. Things are different when these is gun shooting. I hope there won't be anything like that.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
I don't think that should be called harass if guys just verbally picked on them without any further action, per si.
Actually, that is precisely what it means to harass someone.

harass - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: ha·rass
Pronunciation: \hə-ˈras; ˈher-əs, ˈha-rəs\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: French harasser, from Middle French, from harer to set a dog on, from Old French hare, interjection used to incite dogs, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German hier here — more at here
Date: 1617
1 a: exhaust, fatigue b (1): to annoy persistently (2): to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct2: to worry and impede by repeated raids <harassed the enemy>

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, that is precisely what it means to harass someone.

harass - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: ha·rass
Pronunciation: \hə-ˈras; ˈher-əs, ˈha-rəs\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: French harasser, from Middle French, from harer to set a dog on, from Old French hare, interjection used to incite dogs, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German hier here — more at here
Date: 1617
1 a: exhaust, fatigue b (1): to annoy persistently (2): to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct2: to worry and impede by repeated raids <harassed the enemy>
The key words here are "Unpleasant or Hostile". Those two discriptive words reflect opinion and are hard to measure. It depends on the person's interpretation and tolerate level. As long as they don't threat others, it should be fine IMO. Just like those panhandlers on the streets, they can be annoying and persistent, but they are harmless.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
The key words here are "Unpleasant or Hostile". .

Equally key are the words uninvited and unwelcome.

In other words, neither you, nor I, nor anyone else is in a position to tell this woman she was not harassed.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Here's the deal. If you're not a city person then you're probably not used to strangers talking to you in any fashion, much less the homeless or those religious nuts with signs and burning bibles. That means these people will be frightened when they come to the city and experience something city folk see as no big deal.

We need to be tolerant. Realize that these tender people will not hurt you...they are too afraid we will hurt them.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Here's the deal. If you're not a city person then you're probably not used to strangers talking to you in any fashion, much less the homeless or those religious nuts with signs and burning bibles. That means these people will be frightened when they come to the city and experience something city folk see as no big deal.

We need to be tolerant. Realize that these tender people will not hurt you...they are too afraid we will hurt them.
No, that's not the deal.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
OK, then, what do you think the deal is?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
LOL, I was 'harassed' by some guys getting gas at Walmart the other day. I'll still go there if it's the cheapest gas.

Anyway, I frequent Atlantic Station alone and sometimes with my four year old daughter. I've never felt threatened and yes, guys have tried to 'talk' and 'harass' me. It happens everywhere. It's just silly to pick out one place because of one incident.

And the shooting at Rosa Mexicano was not random. They all knew each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta