Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

I'm going to check out Atlantic Station when I go this summer. It looks like a nice place from the pics I've seen. Unfortunately, like everywhere else in Atlanta, you do have to worry more about crime and keep your guard up moreso than in cities like Tokyo or San Diego. Atlanta has always been ranked near the top when it comes to crime, and shootings can happen in all different places in the city (even places like a church, the courthouse, a hospital, there has even been a shooting at a wedding in ATL). You never hear about stuff like that in Tokyo, and that's one of the world's largest cities. I don't know how a city of 8 million and a metro of 35 million can have so little crime. San Diego has 1.2 million and also very little crime, many believing it's due to the weather and laid-back vibe. I think people are just generally happier in both of those places, while there seems to be a lot of unhappy people in Atlanta. Anyone know why that is? Could it be economics and the higher poverty rate? Myself, however, have been lucky not to encounter any of the "bad" people that Atlanta has a lot of (knocking on wood). I've interacted with different locals in a variety of areas, and never had a problem with any of them.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You never hear about stuff like that in Tokyo, and that's one of the world's largest cities. I don't know how a city of 8 million and a metro of 35 million can have so little crime.
Japanese are not allowed to own guns. That makes huge difference. When people possess guns, legally or illegally, there is a chance they will use it in the public. Maybe Atlanta gun owners are more dreadful and distressful and like to shoot others. I also think this government allows people to own guns and use guns, which is unrespectful for innocent life. Georgia recently passed a new gun bill, which is a big joke comparing to some country like Japan.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Japanese are not allowed to own guns. That makes huge difference. When people possess guns, legally or illegally, there is a chance they will use it in the public. Maybe Atlanta gun owners are more dreadful and distressful and like to shoot others. I also think this government allows people to own guns and use guns, which is unrespectful for innocent life. Georgia recently passed a new gun bill, which is a big joke comparing to some country like Japan.
Did that new bill already pass, the one that allows people to carry them on MARTA and in restraunts? Gun ownership is not only a right in Georgia, it is encouraged. In Kennesaw I believe there is a law that makes it mandatory for everyone to own a gun. Yeah, Georgians seem to have a love affair with guns, and thats one of the things that makes them very different from the Japanese. It's kind of scary in a way. Over in San Diego, it's still legal to own guns, but I think many of them choose not to. I think more people own surf boards there than guns. As I mentioned before, it may be the weather that makes everyone happy and not have a reason to shoot anybody, but I think it has more to do with economics and how most people are rich. I'm personally not a big fan of S.D. myself, as you do have to deal with a lot of the yuppie suburban drama. San Diego is more like an oversized East Cobb/North Fulton environment that is named a city.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Japanese are not allowed to own guns. That makes huge difference. When people possess guns, legally or illegally, there is a chance they will use it in the public.

That's only a small part of it.

In Japan, at least in Tokyo, most people who live/work there make liveable wages with good benefits and health care for all. Here, you can live in Atlanta and still just make minimum wage with no benefits. The poverty rate here vs. Tokyo is enormously higher.

In Japan, most children know their fathers. In the poverty stricken segments of the population here, many of the kids do not have fathers in their lives.

In Japan, if you're convicted of a crime, you're properly punished. Here, you may only have probation or a few days or so in jail for somethat that would lock you up for years over there.

The Japanese culture teaches their people from the moment they can understand language, to "respect others - respect the earth". Here, many teach their children either directly or through example, "Put yourself first", and " the more stuff you have, the better you are".

The list could go on, but the fact is, the reason crime is so incredibly low in Tokyo is due to a huge list of things, from people making better pay, people having health care, having two parents in their lives, and being taught from birth to respect others and the environment. That's unfortunately a now foreign way of life for many Americans, and especially so when you are in a city with such a high level of poverty like Atlanta. It's not going to change, so you have to learn to live with it, or simply move to a much different place.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 PM

39 posts, read 54,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Atlantic Station is fine...I go there all the time for shopping at Target, West Elm, Ikea and to take in a movie here and there and I have never seen anyone harrassed or thugs walking around like your implying. Stop the campaign of FEAR against you know who... It's getting really old here on this forum. It's sad that some people are intimidated by people of color who are in most cases just out having a good time like you are.
Hmmmmm.....i wonder

Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepoo72 View Post
I hate that in 2008 we can't all mix and mingle together. There is...what was the word...nefarious characters EVERYWHERe. I think you were trying to say black people. But please don't get it twisted...there are nefarious people of every color. Hell, I get scared in Little Five Points. The boby/facial piercings scare me. I STILL go there and shop, eat, hang out or whatever. Tell the chick who was harrassed by "thugs" the last time she was there to get over herself. They were probably messing with her b/c they saw she was acting uncomfortable. Eveerybody just hang out and mind your own business.

Hmmmmmmmm.....still wondering.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Are you scared that the "thugs" are going to run off with your girlfriend?...lol HILARIOUS.

I frequent Atlantic Station quite often and I don't see the bad element your speaking of. I really don't see how you could feel threatened in Atlantic Station of all places... The truth is that your just not comfortable around a large amount of Black people and actually being the minority in ANY type of setting...PERIOD.
Cmon ATLfinest...thats a bit much. No one likes knuckleheads messing with their girlfriends. Black or White. Women shouldn't go places alone IMO. BUT if she was with friends and they were all getting harassed that different.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
I don't think Atlantic Station will go down hill b/c of patrons. I think it will go down hill b/c of overbuilding. There's a new condo development going up every month. Don't they know this is saturated downtown.

As far as the thug aspect: I went to Tech and visited Buckhead on a regular basis b/t 96 and 02+. Actually lived in HomePark (right next to AS). Right before the Ray Lewis thing I was carjacked/kidnapped there (I've posted my police report on here).

To speak bluntly, as a White male, Buckhead was great when it was all White. As Blacks moved in, it didn't get horrible, it just changed the dynamic of the bars/clubs. Groups of Blacks don't go to White bars/clubs, and groups of Whites don't go to Black bars/clubs (unless at a 790 the zone function, and those are pretty cool). However, when more and more blacks starting showing up, more and more whites went to other clubs.

No real fault, but then the Freaknik element came about. People just parking and hanging out in lots inside of Buckhead. This led to loss revenue and bars/clubs starting shutting down/renaming to try to draw the regulars back. Didn't work, and then the hard-core violence came in (not fist fights, the stabbings and shootings).

...later an APD precinct. Today bars/clubs are very much alive in Buckhead, just not the old district, they're down the street off of Roswell with the exception of the new Fido.

The thing Atlantic Station did right was have police officers/precinct there immediately, if not it'd already be gone. The local bars also help by placing minimums on what you must pay per hour to hang around. With the limited above ground parking, APD, and minimums this helps alleviate the loitering factor which usually leads to confrontations.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
OK, then, what do you think the deal is?
I don't know what the deal is, but the reason you're wrong is that the examples given in this thread are not the "gentle souls" you say they are. These people are:

1. Loiterers making cat calls at every female they see between the ages of 12 and 50.

2. People firing guns in restaurants...or even just bringing a gun into a restaurant.

3. People dumping their stabbing victims on the premises.

Not gentle.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Did that new bill already pass, the one that allows people to carry them on MARTA and in restraunts?

No, it has not passed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta