Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,727,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You’re assuming the bottles are sealed and that they just didn’t refill empties like I’ve seen done in India.

Selling water is one thing...I used to hate the squeegee men in NY where you’d pay them to NOT touch your car.
Right on! I tried to "rep" you again, but they said I had to spread it around.

Selling water to people stopped at an intersection is simply veiled extortion. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that people who don't buy water (or whatever the perps may be peddling) is in danger of having their car damaged (scratched, dented, wipers broken, or whatever) if they don't "buy" the water.

It's not entrepreneurship on the part of the young kids, it's a thinly disguised racket of extorting money from passing motorists. Anyone who doesn't recognize this has their head up a dark place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Selling water to people stopped at an intersection is simply veiled extortion. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that people who don't buy water (or whatever the perps may be peddling) is in danger of having their car damaged (scratched, dented, wipers broken, or whatever) if they don't "buy" the water.

It's not entrepreneurship on the part of the young kids, it's a thinly disguised racket of extorting money from passing motorists. Anyone who doesn't recognize this has their head up a dark place.
That is a question I have. How do these young men know who might want water and who doesn't? My guess is that the vast majority of people are fine without it.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:12 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Right on! I tried to "rep" you again, but they said I had to spread it around.

So homeless who ask for money and try to sell water in any city across America should be locked up as well for veiled extortion?

Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So homeless who ask for money and try to sell water in any city across America should be locked up as well for veiled extortion?
Locked up for selling water? No.

But anyone walking into traffic to peddle or ask for money is a safety hazard.

And anyone who demands money, becomes violent or lays a hand on my property if I don’t do what they want should be cited, and yes, if appropriate, locked up.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Locked up for selling water? No.

But anyone walking into traffic to peddle or ask for money is a safety hazard.

And anyone who demands money, becomes violent or lays a hand on my property if I don’t do what they want should be cited, and yes, if appropriate, locked up.

Especially the kids who are brandishing, pointing, or shooting people with guns. It is unacceptable and a huge danger to everyone.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 9,994 times
I just don’t understand why anyone would think this is ok? Begging at intersections as well, no it’s just not ok.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:50 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is a question I have. How do these young men know who might want water and who doesn't? My guess is that the vast majority of people are fine without it.
Please read my post again. They DO NOT CARE who wants water! It's not about selling water! Their M.O. is somewhere being a beggar and a robber... depending on the individual you encounter. They just want your money, and are willing to intimidate you to get it... and perhaps even damage your vehicle if they don't.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:36 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
They have not, and I'm white, so I don't know what everyone else is doing to instigate problems.

I have seen these for probably a year around Midtown and have had no issues at all.
I haven't had any negative experiences with the kids in Midtown, the ones I experienced as causing problems are in Southwest Atlanta/East Point

Old 07-30-2020, 04:54 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Please read my post again. They DO NOT CARE who wants water! It's not about selling water! Their M.O. is somewhere being a beggar and a robber... depending on the individual you encounter. They just want your money, and are willing to intimidate you to get it... and perhaps even damage your vehicle if they don't.
Well, it seems to me that in at least in some cases there is an element of intimidation involved. Most people, if they want water, will simply stop and get water.

Coming up to someone out of the blue and saying, "Hey, how about you paying me for some water right now?" is bordering on the invasive.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Coming up to someone out of the blue and saying, "Hey, how about you paying me for some water right now?" is bordering on the invasive.
I’d say that’s crossed over the line of being invasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta