U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:58 AM

24 posts, read 202,216 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are these bad areas to live in? Can someone give me some comparisons on these cities as far as safety and traffic into Atlanta. I'm a single 23 yr old female with a soon to be 2 year old son. What areas within these cities would you recommend? How much should I expect to pay for a 2 BR apartment? Thanks for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,249,222 times
Those have all been generally high crime/bad school areas for a long time. A few little nuggets of "niceness" within each, but all in all they're areas that will get you fairly low rent, but more trouble than it's probably worth.

If you can, give your son a chance and try someplace a little farther north.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 PM

465 posts, read 2,325,815 times
Don't waste your time in these areas. They are high in crime, unattractive, bad schools, and predominately black. The traffic coming from that area is terrible in the morning. Not that there is any great traffic area in Atlanta really, anyway. Move on to greener pastures. What are you looking for? What is your budget? What do you need to be near for work?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 PM

426 posts, read 2,214,602 times
These are some of the most ghetto area's of the Atlanta area. The schools are pathetic. What price range are you trying to stay in with your apartment. I am sure you can find a nicer and safer place to live. People don't move to these areas, they live there out of necessity, because they are poor and haven't the money nor the knowlege to go elsewhere. If they could, they would get out and leave too.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks everybody for your input..I'll be staying from around those areas. Are there any areas in Atlanta where you can get a 2BR apt for around $600-$700or is that out of the question? It seems as if the apts in nice areas are around $1000. I'll be just starting out, so I won't be able to afford those kinds of prices right now. Thanks

Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_south_diva View Post
Thanks everybody for your input..I'll be staying from around those areas. Are there any areas in Atlanta where you can get a 2BR apt for around $600-$700or is that out of the question? It seems as if the apts in nice areas are around $1000. I'll be just starting out, so I won't be able to afford those kinds of prices right now. Thanks
A nice two bedroom in a decent neighborhood will more like seven something... and up. Again, where will you be working? What area do you need to be close to? I could recommend some areas, but that would avail nothing if it's too far from where you need to be. You need to be specific.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Again, where will you be working? What area do you need to be close to? I could recommend some areas, but that would avail nothing if it's too far from where you need to be. You need to be specific.
There isn't any specific area I'm looking for, along as it's not too far from Atlanta..I don't have a job or anything lined up yet, so I'm just trying to find info on some nice, not too expensive areas.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:51 AM

187 posts, read 876,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Don't waste your time in these areas. They are high in crime, unattractive, bad schools, and predominately black. The traffic coming from that area is terrible in the morning. Not that there is any great traffic area in Atlanta really, anyway. Move on to greener pastures. What are you looking for? What is your budget? What do you need to be near for work?
****! I thought that we were beyond the sterotypical approach that bad schools, unattractive communities, and high crime ridden areas were automatically attributed to blacks.... WOW Jewel you deserve a darwin award for that line.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,249,222 times
Jewel can certainly defend herself, but based on her posts elsewhere in the forum, I don't think she's saying that, Derrick.

The areas mentioned ARE high in crime; they ARE unattractive to most; the schools ARE bad; and they ARE predominantly African America. I understand your concern that, on its face, the statement might reinforce ignorant or pre-conceived notions. But there are a few people (I'm always going to be one of them) who actually ask why certain areas are unattractive; why certain areas have high crime; why the schools are so bad; and why it is that mainly Black folk live there.

As it is with all such areas around the country, most people don't aspire to live in those areas. They end up there. Why? Well, because based upon our actions to the contrary, the vast majority of society is OK with it.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
****! I thought that we were beyond the sterotypical approach that bad schools, unattractive communities, and high crime ridden areas were automatically attributed to blacks.... WOW Jewel you deserve a darwin award for that line.
Derrick, clearly you misunderstood me. Those areas are everything I mentioned, and probably a little more. The fact that it happens to be all blacks in those areas may be a coincidence, maybe not. What I said still would hold true even if it were a predominately hispanic or white area, it doesn't matter. The facts are what they are, it does not say automatically where blacks are, these other stastitics would exist. In fact, there are plenty of upper class black areas in Atlanta, and also nice, not all black areas, where in fact, blacks just live. How could I make a statement such as what you tried to portray that I made, when I myself am black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta