Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM

817 posts, read 1,991,310 times

Advertisements

After living in Charleston, SC for the past 9yrs, originally moving from Brooklyn/NYC here... we are now relocating to Atlanta.

The Mrs. took a position with McKesson in Alpharatta. But has been working from home here in Charleston due to Covid and the office in Alpharetta is closed. We also decided to wait out the virus here with our 11yr old son because he might be able to physically go to school here when it starts up as opposed to virtual in Atlanta, well a hybrid start here in Charleston, to be seen of course.

As I said, once a handle is to be had on this virus, we are looking to move to Atlanta.
We know the Alpharetta and Milton area and actually liked Milton the best and were set with that town. We liked the open areas of Milton, less traffic and hustle, similar to Charleston.

But people are recommending Cobb Cty, specifically Marietta area, East Cobb (due to schools) as well as Kennesaw, Woodstock, Acworth etc. Plus Cobb Cty exemption from the school portion of property taxes for homeowners over 62, which I am, is very nice.

Now with that out of the way, this is what we are seeking as we did for our move to Charleston way back and city-data members were TREMENDOUS with your HELP, Thank You.

We are looking to purchase either an existing home or open to building a new home possibly in Cobb Cty.
I work with builders here in Charleston and am familiar with building.

** We are looking for feedback, advice for neighborhoods to look into please.
I already know about the schools for East Cobb, middle schools and h.s. and their excellence.

One point, being with have 1 child, we are seeking a nice development, neighborhood with kids, where our son can ride his bike around for and with friends as we have in Charleston. Also not a neighborhood with homes built on top of each other... a lil space between the homes please.

We have found very nice Milton neighborhoods but with 5, 10, 20 homes... but we are seeking many more homes in the neighborhood for the possibilities of more kids. Amenities would be nice, tennis, basketball, pool etc.
Our son plays soccer mainly.. but plays all sports, basketball, futsal, football etc and I coach at times as well.... I know he will find friends immediately through sports... just seeking a neighborhood with local kids on the block, across the street, to hang out with etc.

Price range is 550's-750's... yes a big range.. all depends what we find
Commuting wise.. the Mrs mostly will work from home as I do, so commuting is not an issue.
Any areas with water possibly out back of the homes ?
Some background of us... we are of American, Turkish, Jewish background.
The Mrs has already found many Turkish friends there, a large Turkish community there.
I have been in touch with several synagogues and Chabad as well here.

Any comments, feedback, advice please on sections, developments, neighborhoods etc. feel free to post or PM me as well.
Ask any questions as well.. I will respond to all.

More specifically attributes or Pros/Cons to living in, near Marietta, is it a place to go hangout sometime, eat, walk around. What neighborhoods in East Cobb specifically ? Is Kennesaw a bit far out to come into Marietta sometime, though I hear maybe 20min no problem, same for Acworth, Woodstock etc, drive-able to Marietta if we want, but please understand the city, town, neighborhood we choose is where we will be mostly 24/7/365 and not driving all around daily, weekly going to places to eat. Just wondering if Marietta a place to have central to be around or a short drive away?

As I said the city-data members were TREMENDOUS HELP with our move to Charleston.... then once there I helped back to others

Thank You all for taking the time to read all this... I have been known to write a lot

Michael

PS we are actually driving to Marietta this Saturday 8/15 for a week to check out that area, so any info asap would be very beneficial please.

Last edited by MichaelNYC; 08-12-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 03:44 PM

5,615 posts, read 5,861,919 times
You seem almost completely set on Cobb. Are you sold on it or are you just adding it to the list of possibilities.
I love Alpharetta and Milton. I really like what Alpharetta has done with not only Avalon, but with the historical town center as well. And I think it's Milton that is putting in a ton of work at "Crabapple" (that Streetview is 1.5 years old, there's been a lot added that I've seen but haven't explored)
Really I don't think you can go wrong with NE Cobb, northern Roswell or Alpharetta/Milton. All will be convenient for your wife's job

I'm not as familiar with Cobb or its northern neighbor Cherokee County. I know "East Cobb" is idyllic suburbia, but very decentralized. If you want to go out and walk around from shop to shop like in a town center, you'll probably have to drive to Marietta's town square or over to Roswell.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 PM

Thanks S.J. for getting off your duff and writing......... I guess not always sedimenjerry
Ok.. Ok.. can still be on your duff and write !

Actually not set on Cobb, just considering.
I have posted previously a post for Alpharetta/Milton and received tremendous replies and help.
Was set on Milton.. but heard positives for Cobb Cty so looking into it, actually driving there this Saturday for a week for a look see. We already know Milton inside and out and which neighborhoods we like.
Cobb Cty is next venture, then decide.
As I said commuting not an issue and walking around shop to shop is a very rare occurrence.
Been to Avalon 2-3x already and done with it, a place to bring visiting friends as we see it, same as we have here in Charleston. We look at neighborhood as most important factor, was just wondering if being near Marietta would have a plus as opposed to a bit further out to Kennesaw etc.
Thanks for the input S.J.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 AM

562 posts, read 1,781,635 times
East Cobb is known for its fantastic schools, but Alpharetta and Milton are right on par- if you want the best schools you need to stick to East Cobb vs the other parts of Cobb. Aka rule out Kennesaw, Woodstock, Acworth- they have good schools, but not on par with East Cobb.

If commute is not an issue I would personally stick with Milton or Alpharetta and perhaps check out Roswell, you are going to get larger lots, and there are a lot more new subdivisions where you can build in those areas. Most of East Cobb is already built out, and Im seeing that in new subdivisions most lots are now 1/3rd of an acre. Even older subdivions are about 0.5 acre. Milton has a requirement that all lots be at least 1 acre. The big benefit of East Cobb is it is closer/more centeral to both things like Alpharettas downtown/Avalon, Roswells Canton Street, but also downtown Atlanta and Suntrust stadium. But as the prior poster stated it is decenteralized, so you will have to drive over to one of those places.

Last edited by ecuresident; 08-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 AM

3,705 posts, read 3,599,915 times
I agree that if your goal is to build, you are going to find better opportunities in Milton, Alpharetta, Woodstock, simply by virtue of East Cobb being built out. And new construction tends to be just a small handful of homes on postage stamp lots.

Take advantage of the fact that commute is of less importance to you.

That said, I do live in East Cobb and recommend it as a place to live.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the comments, all heard and welcome.

Building is not primary, open to it, but happy with resale and we know if building was primary, then East Cobb is out, Milton kinda out as well... as new developments there to build in Milton have maybe 5-10, 12 homes and we wanted larger neighborhoods for our 11yr old son.

Big kicker for Cobb Cty is the property tax and being over 62, exempt from school portion which can be 60%.
Was set on Milton... and paying lets say $8K prop tax... but in Cobb that tax might be $3200... nice to save $5K a year
Exemption for Milton, well Fulton Cty... but comes with limitations... according to income. Seems you have to be almost at poverty line to get under income level to be exempt, so Catch-22. If under that income level in Milton you are exempt, but with that income level, couldn't afford to live there, they knew what they are doing

Proximity to Marietta and Downtown Atlanta is a draw for Cobb, but each place has its draw, Milton so lovely driving around the horse farms, nice and chilled there as where we live in Charleston.

Off to Cobb tomorrow for a week and driving, exploring and driving to decide Cobb or back to Milton.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 AM

9,817 posts, read 7,785,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post

Building is not primary, open to it, but happy with resale and we know if building was primary, then East Cobb is out, Milton kinda out as well... as new developments there to build in Milton have maybe 5-10, 12 homes and we wanted larger neighborhoods for our 11yr old son.

Big kicker for Cobb Cty is the property tax and being over 62, exempt from school portion which can be 60%.
Was set on Milton... and paying lets say $8K prop tax... but in Cobb that tax might be $3200... nice to save $5K a year
Exemption for Milton, well Fulton Cty... but comes with limitations... according to income. Seems you have to be almost at poverty line to get under income level to be exempt, so Catch-22. If under that income level in Milton you are exempt, but with that income level, couldn't afford to live there, they knew what they are doing

Proximity to Marietta and Downtown Atlanta is a draw for Cobb, but each place has its draw, Milton so lovely driving around the horse farms, nice and chilled there as where we live in Charleston.

Off to Cobb tomorrow for a week and driving, exploring and driving to decide Cobb or back to Milton.
Good luck in your search! Definitely check out the Marietta Square.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Good luck in your search! Definitely check out the Marietta Square.
We definitely will, want to see if living near Marietta would be a nice advantage. Just to be able to go there occasionally, though as I wrote previously almost 24/7/365 you hangout in your neighborhood and neighborhood attraction, appeal is first. We live 20 minutes from downtown Charleston, used to go there more often, now hardly ever. But like Marietta, it is there if you want, but open to living out past there, skipping East Cobb for more open places. This trip will tell all as will check out East Cobb, Kennesaw, Acworth, Powder Springs, Smyrna. We did all that for Alpharetta and Milton and now know those areas inside and out. Plan on the same for Cobb.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:51 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post

Michael, this one might be up your alley. Toll Brothers is building a large community in Milton called Blue Valley that has 230 homes. It will be a swim/tennis hood and is in the Northwestern MS/Milton HS cluster.

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...ia/Blue-Valley

Old 08-14-2020, 09:20 AM

There ya go GB99 again, great help thank you

Looked it up, cool.

Will add it to our drive around.

Mrs really likes White Columns... this will be just above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Michael, this one might be up your alley. Toll Brothers is building a large community in Milton called Blue Valley that has 230 homes. It will be a swim/tennis hood and is in the Northwestern MS/Milton HS cluster.

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...ia/Blue-Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta