Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 PM

156 posts, read 304,437 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I are in town touring apartment complexes. She will work at The Terraces Perimeter Center. She is considering an apt in the Cumberland area. We drove the route this evening at rush hour (5:20pm-5:40), and it was shockingly easy. Is this normal? A result of COVID/telecommuting? What about the morning rush? I know at any given time a wreck can cause gridlock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I would say you are correct, this is always an easy commute, even moreso during COVID.

The only "gotcha" is the intersections of the perimeter area during rush hour in NON covid times. They are terribly inadequate, and thus the city hires traffic cops to man the stoplights of just about everyone, M-F.

But even then, a sub 30 min commute no matter what

Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I would say you are correct, this is always an easy commute, even moreso during COVID.

The only "gotcha" is the intersections of the perimeter area during rush hour in NON covid times. They are terribly inadequate, and thus the city hires traffic cops to man the stoplights of just about everyone, M-F.

But even then, a sub 30 min commute no matter what
Thank you! good to know.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:13 PM

276 posts, read 430,898 times
It will be about 30 minutes on average. It might be a bit easier if you can get off on 75 and go to Cumberland that way vs following 285 around. One of my issues with this commute was it can be a bit erratic. I used to tack on 15 minutes just to make sure I was on time and sometimes I wasn't.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:36 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Its kind of a reverse commute in the evening, most will be coming back westbound, during the morning you may or may not hit traffic (non covid)

Old 08-25-2020, 05:42 AM

617 posts, read 552,250 times
Due to the pandemic, the traffic on the top end is really light these days. But as traffic starts to pick up, she will be in the normal flow of traffic, as most are heading east (from cobb and points south) in the morning towards the Central Perimeter and then reverse in the afternoons.

I think this is a very doable commute, and even in the "thick" of traffic, it will take no more than 30-40 minutes.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:25 AM

190 posts, read 318,827 times
Wait, I think some people are a little confused here. Are you saying she'll be driving from Cumberland to Perimeter Center in the morning or afternoon? If that's the morning commute, it's going to be pretty awful. I used to do it from Smyrna to the Terraces about 8 years ago, and it was terrible then, but now, 285 has gotten so much worse. It's not the worst commute in the city, and being that close to 285 will help, but I would still plan on 45 minutes most mornings, and about an hour in the afternoons. Getting from the Terraces to 285 can be pretty rough.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:22 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I used to drive from Dunwoody to the area near Truist Park and back every AM to drop my kids at their private school. If I left my house at 7:00, I generally made it back home at 8:15. The portion of the trip from 75/285 to the Perimeter area took a little more than 30 minutes. That is UNLESS there's a wreck, rainstorm, or when the 85 bridge collapsed and traffic was a nightmare for a couple of months. It is doable, but you do need to turn on your TV or radio as soon as you wake up to make adjustments for any last-minute issues. The way home will be worse in the afternoon. There's always cars stacked up in the right hand lanes as you approach 75. This starts at about 3:00 every day.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:03 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
Wait, I think some people are a little confused here. Are you saying she'll be driving from Cumberland to Perimeter Center in the morning or afternoon? If that's the morning commute, it's going to be pretty awful. I used to do it from Smyrna to the Terraces about 8 years ago, and it was terrible then, but now, 285 has gotten so much worse. It's not the worst commute in the city, and being that close to 285 will help, but I would still plan on 45 minutes most mornings, and about an hour in the afternoons. Getting from the Terraces to 285 can be pretty rough.
I don't drive it a lot, but its always been awful.

There's no way its "easy" either direction.

Right now is definitely NOT normal. Traffic is much lighter everywhere.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:53 PM

We drove it again today--from The Terraces to the apartment complex in Cumberland--during evening rush hour in the rain. It was a little slower because of the rain but right at 20 minutes. She feels pretty comfortable with it because her job is flexible on the hours, so she could avoid rush hour if it goes back to pre-covid conditions. She will also be able to work from home some days.

I appreciate everyone's input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta