Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 01:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times

Advertisements

Yes, housing prices are increasing everywhere as people migrate to the sunbelt. Maybe the great plains and midwest are where housing prices aren't increasing rapidly. Atlanta is still relatively cheap. I know people from Bergen County, NJ who sold their homes for $1.2 million+ and moving to a northern Atlanta suburb, buying a new construction house for 600K and using some of the leftover money to start a business.

With midtown, beltline, west midtown, and surrounding areas becoming a tech hub with a lot of new high-wage tech jobs, of course, you're going to see huge demand and prices go up. If you look south of Downtown, there are still many bargains to be had and that is the area most ripe for ROI and housing prices increasing in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 01:48 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
"It's not good to have runaway housing costs, especially in relation to peer cities."

But Atlanta does not have runaway costs compared to its peer cities and not even compared to some of the cities that are in the tier below it. Any growing city has the same problem as Atlanta. You specifically mentioned Dallas which has a far superior road network than Atlanta yet prices have increased at a faster rate there than Atlanta. Austin, Dallas, Miami, Nashville, are all seeing increases similar to Atlanta. Dallas and Austin real estate is significantly more pricier than metro Atlanta on average as is Miami of course.
My point is that Atlanta is not exceptional when compared to these cities. They're all in basically the same situation.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:14 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
There’s not going to be any adjustments anytime soon if ever. This ‘is’ the new America. Forget everything that happened prior to 2020. That’s gone and over with and will not be relived. Housing will no longer be a commodity but an expensive choice item much like an exotic car. More people will become renters as both domestic and foreign investors continue to overtake the market. New inventory will dramatically slow as building costs surge through the roof, and let me tell you, that’s not over with yet… more is coming. If you managed to buy before the pandemic, consider yourself blessed. It’s not going to get any easier to own a home anywhere in America but especially a major city.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Default Viewpoint: Atlanta's intown apartment sector has rebounded

Quote:
The average occupancy rate was 98%, indicating an extremely healthy market. Leasing agents reported few issues with tenants not paying rent during the pandemic.

The average rent was $2,054 per month, or $2.24 per square foot, an increase of approximately 16% over the past 12 months. Five communities are quoting an average monthly rent greater than $3.00 per square foot.

Demand came roaring back, as the market absorbed 7,800 units over the past 12 months, well above the annual average of 4,150 units over the previous seven-year period.
Quote:
One simple measure illustrates the market’s maturation: Only four high-rise buildings were constructed in the urban core from 2000 to 2010, while 42 towers have delivered since then, and 12 more are under construction.
I did a long walk around Midtown today and amazed by all the construction. I just bought a place in city and glad I did before things got even pricier.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Last edited by Atlanta Scientist; 10-13-2021 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: add source

Old 10-13-2021, 12:27 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There’s not going to be any adjustments anytime soon if ever. This ‘is’ the new America. Forget everything that happened prior to 2020. That’s gone and over with and will not be relived. Housing will no longer be a commodity but an expensive choice item much like an exotic car. More people will become renters as both domestic and foreign investors continue to overtake the market. New inventory will dramatically slow as building costs surge through the roof, and let me tell you, that’s not over with yet… more is coming. If you managed to buy before the pandemic, consider yourself blessed. It’s not going to get any easier to own a home anywhere in America but especially a major city.
Yeah, pretty much.

The role of investors isn't necessarily a bad one though--they put up the money so housing can reliably be built, owned, and rented to people who can't afford to own houses themselves. It's an easy role to demonize (not that your post was doing that), but if we're gonna capitalism, we've gotta capitalism. Restricting the flow of capital into the housing market (by discouraging people from buying investment properties and renting them out, for instance) will simply drive down supply and raise costs in the long term.

Old 10-21-2021, 03:47 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Beltline Development Boom Continues with Three Boulevard Heights Projects - Urbanize Atlanta

Old 10-22-2021, 12:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Goldman Sachs is predicting a 16% increase in housing prices next year.

https://www.gspublishing.com/content...a053e06c1.html

Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 PM

254 posts, read 131,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I would agree with this. While there has always been a decided advantage to owning versus renting, wage growth has not kept pace with real estate values. This is exacerbated in large cities because new home development never recovered fully from the Great Recession. It is true, demand for housing in Atlanta will continue to keep prices high as the local economy soars...and it is. Oracle, Google, Microsoft, AirBnB are all building campuses or HQs. There will thousands of indirect developments from just those I mentioned. In paying probably too much attention to local and national real estate business news, Atlanta is about to take even larger steps into major player status for the U.S. It's reputation of Black Excellence and a highly educated workforce are attracting more than Atlanta's share of attention. Companies are taking measures to address inequity and Atlanta can offer what most cities this big cannot. The signs just don't point to another opportunity for cheap buying at the moment. And despite what the media says, there is no exodus from the coasts. It still costs an arm and a leg to buy in California. That means demand is high. If anyone knows someone selling in L.A. for less than $500k, DM me.

But, nothing is forever. Position yourself if you can and wait to strike. It WILL happen eventually. FOMO is an illusion in real estate. If you buy now, you are buying at the top of the market. Period. You will not be equity rich very fast with said property. This is the time to use to prepare for the dip. If you can keep that in mind, this is not so frustrating.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 10-22-2021 at 09:24 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 09:04 PM

254 posts, read 131,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I grew up 90 minutes outside of Atlanta in the 80s and 90s and witnessed its growth into a major metro during that time up to the Olympics. Driving into the city for events like Midtown Music Festival when it was held on land where the Fed Reserve is or a show at The Masquerade, I couldn't wait until the static on the radio cleared up so I could hear 99X and get those first peeks of the Oz-like skyline through the trees as you drive north on I-85 past the airport. Atlanta was ascendant, and the mood of the city reflected that optimism as we approached 1996 and 2000.

Knowing how this city has been in growth mode for the past 40 years (except during the Great Recession) and with the nearly weekly announcements of tech companies opening hubs here or existing ones expanding, what makes you think a correction is coming? My Realtor says this is nothing like 2006 because the financial instruments available back then for marginal homeowners don't exist, and a lot of these buyers from out of state are coming with bundles of cash from their home sales in NY, NJ and California.

Probably the one new factor that needs watching are the real estate investment firms like Invitation Homes that are buying up single-family homes by the hundreds and renting them out. There are even firms now building townhome communities that are rental only. These companies are pricing out first-time homeowners and delaying their ability to build up equity and wealth for their families. Something needs to be done about these companies because we're going to have a generation who should be able to own but can't because corporations own a significant amount of housing stock.
I remember that feeling...and I would come from Gwinnett as a teen in the 90's. Just hitting those smooth, massively wide highway lanes was a thrill. There actually IS an Atlanta vibe. It's just understated and constantly under development due to the population growth. I thought I was the sh going out to the clubs, with my windows down, music up, watching the skyscrapers appear or disappear into fog (which is one of the most under appreciated views of the beautiful buildings from Downtown all the way to Buckhead). But there's a new feeling and it's pretty cool too. I like the diversity and the go get em attitude of business here. Atlanta has a bright future. That's a lot to be grateful for.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 10-22-2021 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 10:50 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
^Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta