Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 01:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleIsLife View Post
Nashville is the music city capital of the world with tons of artists, and concerts frequently there. I know Atlanta has some of that hip hop and what not, but I don't think it can really be considered a music capital worthy of a Grammy museum. Besides Nashville I would say Los Angeles, New Orleans, Chicago, New York, Detroit Memphis are all bigger music capitals than Atlanta even if some of them are historic music capitals.
Hip hop, a lot of the Billboard Hot 100 songs are Atlanta artists or people who now live here. Toni Braxton, Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston, TLC, Elton John, Usher, Monica, Ciara. A lot of non hip-hop artists made music in Atlanta. Even Justin Bieber made most of his music in Atlanta in his early career. Many people worldwide would be more familiar with Atlanta artists than Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 01:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Nashville is the music city capital of the world with tons of artists, and concerts frequently there. I know Atlanta has some of that hip hop and what not, but I don't think it can really be considered a music capital worthy of a Grammy museum. Besides Nashville I would say Los Angeles, New Orleans, Chicago, New York, Detroit Memphis are all bigger music capitals than Atlanta even if some of them are historic music capitals.
Well, the Grammy folks in L.A. obviously feel differently.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:24 PM

405 posts, read 394,930 times
Nashville people seem to have a consistent inferiority complex when it comes to Atlanta lol. Notice it in transplants to Nashville too

Old 08-31-2020, 02:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Nashville people seem to have a consistent inferiority complex when it comes to Atlanta lol. Notice it in transplants to Nashville too
Yes, unfortunately - and it's nothing new. Funny, but I have never seen the same at all from Charlotte.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:32 PM

240 posts, read 129,967 times
Quote:
don't see how, Nashville is called The "Music City" I've never heard Atlanta called the same.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:32 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Yea I've noticed it too. I haven't looked deep into it but my guess is, its a growing metro of which is insecure about its identity - like many metro's, wanting to be recognized for what it offers but is also in a position where it can easily be foreshadowed if something overtakes it in terms of entertainment/music, as outside of the entertainment industry it can't really stand up to Atlanta or for that matter, many other metro's.

They just want to be recognized and are in fear of losing their status quo.

Quote:
don't see how, Nashville is called The "Music City" I've never heard Atlanta called the same.
Well like I stated I'm not into hip hop but you gatta give credit where its due. Atlanta is currently the hip hop capital of the nation, and ontop of which offers overwhelming cultural arts amenities that may be just as attractive. The metro see's actor's / actresses, musicians / artists of many varieties just as, if not more frequently than Nashville. It is also the third most prominent filming hub in the nation...Saying it is unworthy is severely selling it short.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:37 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Nashville isn't the music capital of the world.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I'm confused... is this definitely happening or just a maybe?

I'll keep my opinions on whether it makes sense to put a Grammy museum in Atlanta to myself. However... I'll just say this: If they build a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in freaking Cleveland.... Why the hell not?

Old 08-31-2020, 02:47 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Nashville isn't the music capital of the world.
I briefly Googled around and you get all kinds of mixed results based on different surveys, articles, and opinions. I saw one ranking London #1 -- Hard and valid evidence for comparisons would be needed in ordered to truly solidify such status and which metro it really belongs to...which is an endeavor that I really don't feel like doing lol.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Atlanta Has Become To Hip-Hop What Motown Was To R&B In The 60s

https://www.elitedaily.com/music/atl...wn-60s/1116087
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta