Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
As you say, Sir or Madam.

Someone on a California forum once instructed the group that 'Cali' was a faux pas, too. Scratching my head--for a laid back state the residents seem to be very particular about derivations of the state/city names.
BTW, coming from the PNW, I've heard SoCal and NoCal used quite liberally....even from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Default The ATL ugh!

It is a personal item of choice.
I guess I am one of the old style crumbs who like to use the name instead of an initial or some type of aconym

I refer to Atlanta as Atlanta, Philadelphia as Philadelphia, and yes I refer to the airport as Atlanta Hartsfield. My workplace is loaded with acronyms and I gather this is what turned me against further use.

Everything anymore seems to be reduced to initials, is it sounding hip or just laziness? Remember when we went through the phase of fast food? "I'm going to BK for the double, then slide over to da KFC. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

In closing, if folks want to use airport codes to call Atlanta the "ATL" then please watch your language when in Cincinnati. I will not be accepted around women and children if you wish to state that you will be hanging in the "CLT"

Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
BTW, coming from the PNW, I've heard SoCal and NoCal used quite liberally....even from them.
I've seen/read a lot of interesting acronyms/names for places, people, things online. Pretty kewl. LOL--I know I am too old to say 'Kewl' but I like it and do it anyway.

The Aussies really have the best slang, jmo.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Hey, if you like Hotlanta, their slogan before that one was "The Big Peach".

This was when they were doing ads during the city's initial growth spurts in the beginning and they would refer to Atlanta as the "New York of the South", using a Southern Bell type girl in a sweater (and nothing else), holding a Peach up to her mouth in ads. She appeared on postcards, billboards, and print ads for several years in the early to mid 1980s.
Geez, I remember that. The things that get buried in your mind only to be recalled many years later.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
OK, I get the part about ATL referring to the airport code, but why do you have to put "The" in front of it?

Actually, I should be asking this at the California forum, they like to call stuff "the"--"The" OC, "The" 10... Sounds pretty lame to me!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
OK, I get the part about ATL referring to the airport code, but why do you have to put "The" in front of it?

Actually, I should be asking this at the California forum, they like to call stuff "the"--"The" OC, "The" 10... Sounds pretty lame to me!
Well, that's supposedly an urban street slang thing. You'll hear "the" placed in front of a lot of things in certain circles/age groups here. Such as "The ATL", or "The MARTA", etc.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
The ATL is an airport tearm indeed but you never heard it as frequently as you do now until it was ghetto popularized....and it is ghetto!
I'll have worked in the airline industry for 20 years this upcoming August (hard to believe it's been than long), and the term "ATL" is certainly used heavily there (it's the 3-character IATA code for the main Atlanta airport, just as KATL is the 4-character ICAO code used in METAR reports and other airport weather or alert messages generated for pilots).

However, the phrase "the ATL" is not normally used in the airline industry.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:

LOL--just don't call California 'Cali'.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,142 times
Quote:

Hey, bro, ever watched a Braves game at "The" Ted?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL--just don't call California 'Cali'.
Is it OK to call it "The Cali"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: