Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 02:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 613,715 times

Advertisements

Other than having the Variety Playhouse, I was never too crazy about Little 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:50 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
As someone who was never cool, never understood what was cool, I can say without a doubt, L5P always struck me as a dirty, dungy, dump with a bunch of teens and under 25 people who wanted to hang around other tattooed, pierced people with purple hair and visit grimy stores and restaurants. And yes, with horrendous parking (sometimes had to drop my kid off at the skateboard shop)!

Old 04-12-2022, 10:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
L5P is okay. Good place to eat and I love the record stores. But in terms of actually living there it's gotten too expensive for artists and musicians. Not as many local bands as there used to be. I think EAV gradually took its spot in the 2010s and now that's kind of shifting too, as EAV gets more expensive.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:25 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
As an under 25, we don’t care what you think, L5P from an aesthetic and architectural standpoint is better than 95% of the manufactured sterile crap going up in Midtown and along the eastside trail.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:22 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
As an under 25, we don’t care what you think, L5P from an aesthetic and architectural standpoint is better than 95% of the manufactured sterile crap going up in Midtown and along the eastside trail.
If you don't care, why so defensive?!

Old 04-14-2022, 12:27 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
I find that L5P vibe/aesthetic to be passe, frankly. Feels like an imitation of what people think 90's Brooklyn was like, or something. Doesn't really feel authentic to what living in 2020 is actually like.
When I was in high school in late 80s, L5P was the place to go to get clove cigarettes, Doc Martens and vintage clothes--and ogle at the punk rockers. Even back then, L5P felt schmaltzy. Maybe that's bc this aesthetic feels fake no matter the era. Whoever says L5P is one of the "world's" greatest neighborhoods must be a fan of this aesthetic, otherwise their inclusion of it makes zero sense.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:11 PM

450 posts, read 270,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

Meh. It seems like L5P isn't really sure what it's trying to be- does it want to be grungy? Gentrified? Artsy? Woke? Vaguely retro? The vibe there is completely indiscernible, and it's too small as well to be a real 'area'. The beltline area is a lot more consistent in what it's trying to do and is big enough to pull it off.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:15 PM

450 posts, read 270,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
When I was in high school in late 80s, L5P was the place to go to get clove cigarettes, Doc Martens and vintage clothes--and ogle at the punk rockers. Even back then, L5P felt schmaltzy. Maybe that's bc this aesthetic feels fake no matter the era. Whoever says L5P is one of the "world's" greatest neighborhoods must be a fan of this aesthetic, otherwise their inclusion of it makes zero sense.

Wow, between you and ATLTJL, that was apparently the rare opinion I've had on here that went over fairly well. Don't even remember that post lol. Glad to see that I apparently understand L5P.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
I have lots of good memories of Little 5 Points. Taking one of the kids down to Stratosphere to get some special wheels for his skateboard. Burgers at the Vortex. Listening to surf rock at the Star Bar and paying homage to the King at the Elvis Shrine. Perusing the albums at Wax'n'Facts. Seeing Tony Rice at the Variety Playhouse. Watching the Seed & Feed Marching Band.

But honestly we haven't been down there in years. I should go give it another look.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:48 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
Meh. It seems like L5P isn't really sure what it's trying to be- does it want to be grungy? Gentrified? Artsy? Woke? Vaguely retro? The vibe there is completely indiscernible, and it's too small as well to be a real 'area'. The beltline area is a lot more consistent in what it's trying to do and is big enough to pull it off.
The fact that you call it “the beltline area” and not use the individual neighborhoods each development is in means that there is little to no character in these areas. Personally, IDC about what image L5P portrays. It’s a cool area with great art and unique businesses. It’s not any more complicated than that. I’m not in the judging people business, but feel, architecture, and layout I will criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: