Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,429 times

Advertisements

I'd like to drive up to Brooklyn, NY in a few weeks. I've never done it before. What is the fastest way to get up there. How many hours and if you are going off the beaten path, please describe what i should expect. I'm a female driving alone. I may have to stop half way. I don't know that i'll be able to do it in one shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
We drove to NJ last summer. It may not have been the fastest route, but we took I-81 up through Virginia. I would recommend that way if you are traveling solo. There are plenty of hotels right off the interstate, as well as places to stop and eat. We had very little traffic most of the way. Also, it was a long drive, about 14 hours. We stopped overnight in Winchester going up, and Harrisonburg on the return trip. Do a Mapquest, but try to avoid going up the coast. You'll run into too many beach vacationers.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Depends partly on the time of day you're leaving and whether you want to drive straight through, and also on where you're starting from. 75 to 81 to 78 is a nice direct route, and it avoids Washington DC and Baltimore, which can be disasters if you hit them during or close to rush hours. If you're starting out on the East side of town, you can take 85 to 95 to the NJ Turnpike, provided that you are going to avoid the rush hours in DC and Baltimore. The difference mileage-wise between the two routes is only around 15 miles, and the 75 route is much more scenic, IMO.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 141,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depends partly on the time of day you're leaving and whether you want to drive straight through, and also on where you're starting from. 75 to 81 to 78 is a nice direct route, and it avoids Washington DC and Baltimore, which can be disasters if you hit them during or close to rush hours. If you're starting out on the East side of town, you can take 85 to 95 to the NJ Turnpike, provided that you are going to avoid the rush hours in DC and Baltimore. The difference mileage-wise between the two routes is only around 15 miles, and the 75 route is much more scenic, IMO.

I agree with the 75 to 81 to 78 route. You don't want to go through DC and Baltimore. You could get bad traffic. There are also more tolls. And Baltimore is a waterfront surrounded by one gigantic ghetto.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
I-85 to I-95 is the shorter route, but I-85 to Charlotte and then I-77 to I-81 to I-78 is the nicer and less crowded route. Mountains instead of cities, and better places to eat and sleep.

I've done both many times over the years. I-95 is full of tourists on the northeast to Florida route and usually much more of a pain.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We're driving from NJ to Duluth this summer. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 29,139 times
i did this same thing a couple of weeks ago..
and yep lady here.. who drove alone...
now if you can avoid it... do NOT ride 95..
take 85 or 75 to 81 to 78...
you go through mountains.. and it is LOONNNNGGGG through virginia.. but it's definitely quicker(and cheaper!) than taking 95 .. (i drove from northern jersey to ga and back)
it really wasn't that bad of a ride to do alone..
i kept someone on the phone with me most of the way lol

anyhow, either way you choose to take...
travel safely!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 29,139 times
oh .. and i made the ride in just over 13 hrs. -- with restroom stops/food/gas/and traffic (traffic was only due to two accidents in PA)

Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,141 times
We used to drive from Macon to NYC twice a year. At first we went through 95 and then someone told us about the back way through the mountains. I-85 to Charlotte and then I-77 to I-81 to I-78. It was about the same distance but 2 hours quicker. I recommend you plan to stop half way. It is a long way to drive alone and you don't want to be looking for a hotel when you are tired.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,429 times
Ok, sounds like 75 to 81 to 78 is the most popular route. But going thru mountains? Sounds nice but what is the speed limit going thru there? Once i drove up to NC to the Biltmore Estates and it was a lovely ride but I had to go thru a road where i didn't drive more than like 50mph and if i have to do that on 81 or 78, it's gonna take forever to get to NY! Will it be safe for me to stop half way up to rent a room if i want to stop overnight? Not to be paranoid, but i've driven up I75 from FL to ATL and there are places along that route where I would not feel safe stopping overnight by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta