Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 07:13 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I wonder how the Forsyth natives are feeling about the immigrants right about now.
Do you think these Forsyth natives are mad enough to put up racist signs saying “vote the White slate” or flyers on power poles saying not to sell your home to people who aren’t white and don’t patronize businesses that aren’t white like we have here in the city but instead of white it says black? My how times have changed. The white population in Forsyth County isn’t really fleeing it’s just more minorities are moving in which there is nothing wrong with just like white people (and others) are free to move into the city. White people aren’t the ones with the “feelings” or the ones who have issues with people moving in that don’t look like them in 2020. It’s a totally different group acting like that now as this thread illustrates. It’s sad and embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 07:32 PM

11,776 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Do you think these Forsyth natives are mad enough to put up racist signs saying “vote the White slate” or flyers on power poles saying not to sell your home to people who aren’t white and don’t patronize businesses that aren’t white like we have here in the city but instead of white it says black? My how times have changed. The white population in Forsyth County isn’t really fleeing it’s just more minorities are moving in which there is nothing wrong with just like white people (and others) are free to move into the city. White people aren’t the ones with the “feelings” or the ones who have issues with people moving in that don’t look like them in 2020. It’s a totally different group acting like that now as this thread illustrates. It’s sad and embarrassing.
I don't approve of how antifa / BLM handled matters in terms of rioting and looting, nor do I approve of segregation at any level (whether it be from blacks or whites) but at the same time I kinda have to say we are literally talking apples and oranges in terms of matters here... One uprising largely in response to police brutality on a national level, compared to Asians moving into Forsyth .. not quite on the same level of issues if you get my drift.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:40 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't approve of how antifa / BLM handled matters in terms of rioting and looting, nor do I approve of segregation at any level (whether it be from blacks or whites) but at the same time I kinda have to say we are literally talking apples and oranges in terms of matters here... One uprising largely in response to police brutality on a national level, compared to Asians moving into Forsyth .. not quite on the same level of issues if you get my drift.
This has nothing to do with BLM. These signs were being displayed in SW Atlanta way before BLM ever existed. I do agree with your segregation comment. No place for it regardless of who is doing it. It was wrong 60 years ago and it is wrong now.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:54 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
I wonder how the Forsyth natives are feeling about the immigrants right about now.
Any Forsyth County natives who might be uncomfortable with the continuing diversifying of the county’s population probably have either moved further north in Forsyth County to areas that are still predominantly white or moved out of the county completely.

Native-born residents moving out of a jurisdiction because of demographic changes and continued urbanization has been the case in more urbanized metro Atlanta counties (like Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb and Gwinnett) that have already urbanized and diversified.

But at this point in time there probably are not too many longtime native-born Forsyth residents left in the county (particularly in the increasingly diverse and suburbanized south half of the county) who probably are uncomfortable enough to want to leave the county because of continuing demographic changes.

That is because Forsyth County’s population has grown by more than 550% since 1990 and many (if not most) of the county’s residents are people who moved into the county from somewhere else and likely may not be familiar with the Forsyth County of the past (pre-2000/pre-1990) that was much more unattractive to outsiders (particularly people of color).

That’s not to say that there are no Forsyth natives who are uncomfortable enough to want to move out of the county. Every county that has gone through a transition from isolated homogeneous rural communities to diverse suburban communities has seen a noticeable number of longtime native-born residents move out of the area to seek a more homogeneous and more rural lifestyle.

But those situations have been dwarfed by transplant residents who may be much more used to changing demographics.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
This has nothing to do with BLM. These signs were being displayed in SW Atlanta way before BLM ever existed. I do agree with your segregation comment. No place for it regardless of who is doing it. It was wrong 60 years ago and it is wrong now.
idk what to say truthfully. there's no easy solution. I can't undermine the pent up frustration those people have though, whether it be based on facts or not it doesn't really matter at this point. Its what they 'feel'. They feel injustice and I am willing to respect that their lives and upbringing are much different than those who have lived in more affluent communities and their personal experiences have lead them to believe and act the way they do.

I just feel that we as a society, all members of it.. ..would do better if each member met each member where they are - not where they want them to be or what they want them to believe.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
As the population is growing faster through immigration and out of state moves than “native” birth rates in a generation it will be the other way around.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
idk what to say truthfully. there's no easy solution. I can't undermine the pent up frustration those people have though, whether it be based on facts or not it doesn't really matter at this point. Its what they 'feel'. They feel injustice and I am willing to respect that their lives and upbringing are much different than those who have lived in more affluent communities and their personal experiences have lead them to believe and act the way they do.

I just feel that we as a society, all members of it.. ..would do better if each member met each member where they are - not where they want them to be or what they want them to believe.
Frustration is understandable. Peaceful protest is admirable. But what happened at the burned down Wendy’s this summer was never acceptable.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opini...JyrVKT50lo9YN/

Same goes for burning and looting. I don’t care how different one’s lives and upbringing are.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:34 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Frustration is understandable. Peaceful protest is admirable. But what happened at the burned down Wendy’s this summer was never acceptable.

Same goes for burning and looting. I don’t care how different one’s lives and upbringing are.
Those are excellent points that violence should never be acceptable.

Though, I guess that it probably should be noted that it was a white woman (who probably was not from the local neighborhood) who burned down that Wendy’s.

The local residents (including the local Black residents) most likely were not going be eager to want to see that business destroyed because that business was a service that was used frequently by many of the residents of that immediate and surrounding area.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:

Looting is a social response to government inaction. There is no controlling looting in the same sense that you can’t control the weather. The correct response to social hostility is to address why that hostility is happening and not just blaming individual people.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I’m speaking more so on the the signs and more recently protests. I can’t agree with rioting, burning, and looting. The victims of those incidents had nothing to do with their issues, Wendy’s specifically had nothing to do with what happened to Rayshard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta