Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,102,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Those are excellent points that violence should never be acceptable.

Though, I guess that it probably should be noted that it was a white woman (who probably was not from the local neighborhood) who burned down that Wendy’s.

The local residents (including the local Black residents) most likely were not going be eager to want to see that business destroyed because that business was a service that was used frequently by many of the residents of that immediate and surrounding area.
The Wendy's burning (by Brooks' "girlfriend"?) was bad. But the fact that that area for weeks afterward was an armed camp who selectively turned away people who weren't black under gunpoint is clearly something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Looting is a social response to government inaction. There is no controlling looting in the same sense that you can’t control the weather. The correct response to social hostility is to address why that hostility is happening and not just blaming individual people.
Interesting perspective. That would imply that you don't believe in individual responsibility, and that anything is justifiable under some circumstances?

There have been times in my life where I didn't have a job, didn't know on the 25th of the month how I was going to make rent on the 1st, and had no food. I was never tempted to loot, burn or assault.

I guess I ascribe to the belief that people should STOP looting and then peacefully assemble and push for their agenda. Not use the excuse of "government inaction" to take what I want, either because I need it, want it, or believe it's some sort of "reparations".

Why are some areas more heavily looted than others? Is it perhaps that the "government inaction" is that the city government/police is caving into the looters by not arresting and prosecuting them?

Old 11-07-2020, 01:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 7,819,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Interesting perspective. That would imply that you don't believe in individual responsibility, and that anything is justifiable under some circumstances?

There have been times in my life where I didn't have a job, didn't know on the 25th of the month how I was going to make rent on the 1st, and had no food. I was never tempted to loot, burn or assault.

I guess I ascribe to the belief that people should STOP looting and then peacefully assemble and push for their agenda. Not use the excuse of "government inaction" to take what I want, either because I need it, want it, or believe it's some sort of "reparations".

Why are some areas more heavily looted than others? Is it perhaps that the "government inaction" is that the city government/police is caving into the looters by not arresting and prosecuting them?
I agree with how you feel but I also wish to note that these harder times we may experience at periods of our lives (for example my most recent unemployment situation ran from April until literally a week ago and has been by far the longest I’ve spent without a job) are fairly brief in the overall perspective to what is perceived in terms of inequality that these folks are addressing. We have trades, primarily in higher earning fields where we have much greater hope to escape impending financial distress than some other folks. I am stating by their perspective, what we see as a few weeks or even months of financial insecurity, is literally what they see for most of their life for many of them, thus it’s not quite as easy to hold steady in hope because they know no better and have much less means of escape. They in essence, feel trapped.

I am not ‘justifying’ any actions, but I am saying I can easily see how an uprising can incur under such circumstances.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-07-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-07-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I agree with how you feel but I also wish to note that these harder times we may experience at periods of our lives (for example my most recent unemployment situation ran from April until literally a week ago and has been by far the longest I’ve spent without a job) are fairly brief in the overall perspective to what is perceived in terms of inequality that these folks are addressing. We have trades, primarily in higher earning fields where we have much greater hope to escape impending financial distress than some other folks. I am stating by their perspective, what we see as a few weeks or even months of financial insecurity, is literally what they see for most of their life for many of them, thus it’s not quite as easy to hold steady in hope because they know no better and have much less means of escape. They in essence, feel trapped.

I am not ‘justifying’ any actions, but I am saying I can easily see how an uprising can incur under such circumstances.
I don’t disagree with your thoughts, but anarchy isn’t the answer. When I see video of people wheeling a huge cart filled with electronics it’s not about feeding their family or escaping financial distress. It’s felony theft.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don’t disagree with your thoughts, but anarchy isn’t the answer. When I see video of people wheeling a huge cart filled with electronics it’s not about feeding their family or escaping financial distress. It’s felony theft.
I truthfully can’t tell who was really responsible for the looting and I think that has a major impact on how it should be looked at. I largely believe the looting was purely hate based, not need or desire based such as a thief breaking into someone’s home. I think it was intended as a way to get the message across. Same for the fires and burning.

I don’t agree with it, I just see how the political atmosphere and economic crash could have lead to it.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,385,136 times
Lets be serious. Being civil in this country and doing what we "should" be doing never got us anywhere so let's stop with that nonsense please. Its a country that gets violent whenever it chooses to and has since it's inception. And it's really the only thing that ever got anything done here. Peaceful protesting would still have us picking cotton. The youth did what needed to be done and it worked.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Lets be serious. Being civil in this country and doing what we "should" be doing never got us anywhere so let's stop with that nonsense please. Its a country that gets violent whenever it chooses to and has since it's inception. And it's really the only thing that ever got anything done here. Peaceful protesting would still have us picking cotton. The youth did what needed to be done and it worked.
I can understand how one may come to feel this way, however; I also have to respectfully disagree. Not once in the uprising for Black Americans from the freedom from slavery and through the equal rights movements did violence prove as the determining factor for any form of change in our circumstances, historically speaking. The people who did the most change for us, are the people who were strong in character and endured, unwilling to give in to their circumstances. These circumstances are not 'fair' but the dream is what you focus on, not the unfairness.

MLK won equal rights through Peaceful Protests. Malcolm X was for violent protesting but in the end also commended MLK's methods. Even if we succeeded in getting our point across through violence, the only thing you end up is with the other side with pent up anger, and eventually a retaliation. Its something that has to happen on both sides, and both sides have to be willing, and neither side can be forced...Otherwise it is just domination, regardless of which side.

This Nation's roots are engrained with racism, but it isn't just this nation... These issues exist everywhere...and these issues long predate the existence of Black Americans. You cannot change them through peace or violence, you can't change them through laws or even political leaders, you can only change how you react to them and how you choose to live your life by them.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-07-2020 at 10:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2020, 07:22 AM

4,760 posts, read 5,389,882 times
If a black mecca means superficiality and pretending, then yes I hope Atlanta does lose that title. What determines a mecca? When a core group of a predominately black ran city reaches the rulers level in the spiritual world with influence and impact, otherwise, you are living off borrowed money from the people who are ruling demonstrating a culture that is really one-sided and not fully developed. I don't see any city obtaining that level where blacks are the majority and a true mecca with the exception of Lagos one day.

A true will mecca has the ability to make its own choices, without the fear of losing support because you are not pimping another person's image or release a spirit where one person prospers while those that surround them are dwarfs in the marketplace.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 11-08-2020 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
“we” and “us”.

Therein lies the problem.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:18 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,071,852 times
Quote:
600,000+ dead soldiers (on both sides) paid the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta