Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,693 times

Advertisements

You may remember I had inquired on the boards about locating an area to stay that met my price/safety requirements. Long story short, I settled on a decent complex in the Druid Hills area.

My problem, I have not lived "north" of the City before so I am completely disoriented in locating certain services that fall under good quality/service, good price which include:

-Furniture Store (would be okay if second hand and I've been to IKEA already)
-Seafood market
-Seafood restaurant (casual eat-in or take-out)
-Dry Cleaners (with a fixed price would be good)
-Automotive Service (electrician, mechanic, tire/brake)
-Italian Pizzeria (looking for good pizza, spaghetti, lasagna...)
-Any type of club/organization that I could get into to meet mid 20s or 30-something professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
You may remember I had inquired on the boards about locating an area to stay that met my price/safety requirements. Long story short, I settled on a decent complex in the Druid Hills area.

My problem, I have not lived "north" of the City before so I am completely disoriented in locating certain services that fall under good quality/service, good price which include:

-Seafood market
-Any type of club/organization that I could get into to meet mid 20s or 30-something professionals?
I would be happy to help, having lived in this area all my life...however, you'll have to be more 'neighborhood-specific' than just Druid Hills...that covers a lot of area.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,044 times
Quote:
-Seafood market

The best place to find furniture at good prices on the northside is in the outlet area around Howell Mill Road and Huff Road (not too far from Atlantic Station). If you start driving around that area, you'll find a ton of furniture stores.

Can't help with seafood at all.

There's a dry cleaner at Toco Hills (I don't use dry cleaners so I can't vouch for their quality, but they are certainly convenient to Druid Hills)

I use ASR Automotive off Cheshire Bridge

Personally, I'm a Papa John's person, so "good pizza" is a relative term. Check out this link for Decatur area restaurants -- plenty of pizza places, surely one will suit you:

http://decaturga.com/cgs_citysvcs_ce...staurants.aspx

You might want to offer a bit more guidance regarding the type of club/organization you're interested in joining. Is it purely for business or social networking? Or are you looking for something related to actual interests you have?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 AM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
The Atlanta Farmers Market at 4166 Buford Hwy(Buford & Clairmont) is a great place for seafood. I have found the selection to be better on Friday when they are stocked up for the weekend compared to earlier in the week. It is super crowded on the weekends so shopping early is a good idea. The Whole Foods on Briarcliff and Lavista also has good seafood at a much higher price point.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:

-Seafood market

Not certain if you are closer to VA Highland or N.Druid Hills.

At LaVista/Briarcliff there is a shopping center across from Whole Foods that would have most of what you need--no seafood or furniture. There are some good restaurants in Decatur and VA Highland.
I like Mama Fu's at Toco Hills. They have a shrimp bowl that is tasty.

Evening at Emory would be one way to start meeting people and find out what is going on.
Emory Center for Lifelong Learning - continuing education classes in Atlanta, Georgia

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-05-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,693 times
BTW, I am very close to the Toco Hills shopping center (and I've already tried Mam Fu's - which was good).

I am still learning the surroundings so I am not sure if I am considered close to VA Highland area and I have yet to venture to where Whole Foods is located.

What area (or street numbers) along Buford Highway have furniture stores?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
cityhopper, you're not that far from VaHi. It's not in walking distance but it's probably only a couple of miles from Toco Hills. You could bike there, cutting through Emory's campus, crossing Briarcliff to get to Johnson...

And Whole Foods is just down Lavista at Briarcliff.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
What area (or street numbers) along Buford Highway have furniture stores?
Buford Highway does not have many furniture stores. The place to go is Furniture Row on Dawson Blvd. in Norcross.

Lower prices adorn 'furniture row' - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Furniture Row in Gwinnett (http://www.wikigwinnett.com/content.cfm?Action=wiki&WikiID=4013&CFID=3860448&C FTOKEN=72876332 - broken link)

Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Underpriced Furniture (broken link)

Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
DeKalb Farmer's Market to purchase groceries: Your Dekalb Farmers Market - A World Market It not an open air farmer's market - more like an international no-frills store. Give the restaurant and the desert counter a try. The produce is super fresh and inexpensive. They also bake most of the breads that they sell. Just eat the bread fast as it contains no preservatives and it goes bad quickly.

Shorty's for pizza. It's not a traditional Italian place but thin crust pizzas with unique toppings. Some of them sound like a bizarre combination but they really work. Shorty's | AccessAtlanta (http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/neighborhoods/1205/22shortys.html - broken link)

Italian (traditional and American-Italian) I love Alfredo's. It is a blast from the past. It is as if the restaurant stood still since its inception in 1974 and someone from the Soprano's cast will walk on any given day. Alfredo's Italian Restaurant Just don't sit with your back to the door (LOL).

Mechanic: Erik is probably 10-15 minutes away from you but he only works on foreign cars. He worked for my previous mechanic and I would consider no one else. He is through and honest. QuantumMechanicsAuto.com: Import Automotive Service in Decatur, GA 404-484-3995

Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
As well as great pizza Shorty's offers huge salads. Everything is good, really.

The Bagel Palace in Toco Hills has wonderful bagels and pastry as well as deli and breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta