Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 05:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
KLB knows there is a very strong chance she will be the first incumbent mayor in Atlanta since 1973 to be voted out of office. She saw what happened to Paul Howard and took note. We could only be so lucky to have her leave.
Oh, I think she is doing a great job. But she is smart and savvy and could be an asset in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 08:26 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
I find it weird whenever people criticize KLB on the grounds that she’s a Democratic mayor as if she’s super progressive when she really hasn’t been. I’d be glad to see the day when one of our mayors aren’t caught up with ensuring corporations get tax cuts just to build developments they’re gonna profit off of anyway.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:49 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I find it weird whenever people criticize KLB on the grounds that she’s a Democratic mayor as if she’s super progressive when she really hasn’t been. I’d be glad to see the day when one of our mayors aren’t caught up with ensuring corporations get tax cuts just to build developments they’re gonna profit off of anyway.
Fulton County Development Authority is a bigger culprit and KLB can't do much there.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Fulton County Development Authority is a bigger culprit and KLB can't do much there.
I have my issues with both of them. I’m not saying KLB has all the power in the world but the ways in which she uses her influence bothers me. Especially when it comes to projects that could benefit African Americans on the south side. Fort Mac should have been a shining beacon of a development and Tyler Perry could’ve been involved without building a fortress of a movie studio that doesn’t benefit residents of Oakland City and surrounding neighborhoods. The fact that she tried to give the rest of the land to him bothers me even more.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:25 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms reportedly went from Biden's VP list to being offered a Bahamas ambassadorship

https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-m...190400180.html

SOURCE: Kathryn Krawczyk, The Week (via Yahoo News)

Old 12-11-2020, 02:53 PM

357 posts, read 329,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms reportedly went from Biden's VP list to being offered a Bahamas ambassadorship

Pretty clear that Stacey Abrams gets credit for that.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
That's hilarious, even the Biden administration has no real faith in Bottoms!

Old 12-11-2020, 04:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJayATL View Post
Pretty clear that Stacey Abrams gets credit for that.
Let’s send Abrams to The Bahamas as ambassador. A good way for her to get international experience.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post

Well, an Ambassadorship is a gift to someone political. Sort of like Newt Gingrich’s 3rd wife being named Ambassador to the Vatican (Old Newt told his 2nd wife that he wanted a divorce when she was in the hospital with cancer. What a guy!). Take some time, why don’t you and look at the people Trump gave ambassadorships to. Totally unqualified, most of them.

Although I like Mayor Bottoms. I thought she did a good job during the Black Lives Matter protests in Atlanta. She actually could be a good Ambassador, but I doubt she would want to move her family away from Atlanta.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:01 PM

357 posts, read 329,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Well, an Ambassadorship is a gift to someone political.
Donors see ambassadorships as rewards. Politicians see them (by and large, and accurately so) as exile.

They've been used for both of those purposes since the dawn of modern history. A country (particularly one with a pleasant climate, culture, or some combination) that we are on fairly friendly terms with and with whom little of substance is expected to transpire (i.e. the Bahamas and Carribbean nations generally) usually get people whose only qualification is writing checks; they can be dumber than a box of rocks.

Countries we're friendly with, but where there's more substance involved, generally still get donors or well connected folks, but who have been vetted at some level.

Countries where relationships are fraught with international drama (China, Russia) or that to be frank, suck (Central African Republic) generally get career foreign service.

But as far as politicians go, you offer someone like Keisha the ambassadorship in the Bahamas to marginalize her. Either she takes it, and she's off in Nassau for a few years far away from Georgia and DC, or she turns it down and is viewed as ungrateful; the very fact that it's known that she turned it down is part of ensuring that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Let’s send Abrams to The Bahamas as ambassador. A good way for her to get international experience.
Clearly Abrams is taking credit for (and getting credit for) winning GA for Biden, and the Biden camp exiled one of her possible intra-party opponents as a reward.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider Abrams' ****-poor behavior during the primary, as compared to Keisha coming out early and often (when it wasn't safe to do so politically) in favor of Biden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta