Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It is green and "treesy" all over Metro Atlanta...especially the southside.

However, the north side (and west side) is more hilly and mountainous.
Yeah, it's definitely flatter on the south and east side of Atlanta i believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H TEAM View Post
just move North of atlanta, much safer, much more nicer on the eyes, greener, and above all has a long track record of better schools, businesses, and shoping.
If I am not mistaken. Fayette County in southern metro Atlanta has the best schools in the state. As for crime, I have to disagree. When looking strictly at the Atlanta metro areas, looking at the big picture, the south has a lower crime rate. Speaking in terms of the southern metro I am most familiar with, Coweta County, Carroll County and Fayette County, I think the south is beautiful. There is green as far as the eye can see (especially when you include Kudzu) there are beautiful and upscale shopping centers and lovely sub-divisions. The parks and golf courses offer not only beauty but lots of recreation. Not to mention, there is A LOT LESS traffic in the south than in the north.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It is green and "treesy" all over Metro Atlanta...especially the southside.

However, the north side (and west side) is more hilly and mountainous.
The hills make things pretty and cuts down on things like traffic noise (which we can hear very little of in our Mableton house), but it also makes cell phone reception problematic. There are always pluses and minuses.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Atlanta has always been a racially divided city. The Northern areas were seen as "white and safe", the southern areas were "black and dangerous". Even to this day it still continues, but people lived the stereotype when deciding where to move as well, so over time it came to be true. Typically today, the Southside does have more crime (and corruption amongst leaders) than the Northside, though crime and corruption of course can be found anywhere. Once you get far enough South to the Fayetteville and Peachtree City areas, you start coming across nicer areas as "the norm" as opposed to "pockets of good areas".
If you're used to living near the ocean and LOVE living near the ocean, then Atlanta's urbanish sprawl will probably drive you nuts. The Chattahoochee River 'aint the ocean. LOL Even Charlotte is closer to the sea, and depending on your job needs, Charleston, SC is a great place to be and it's on the ocean as well.
That in fact has been the case. I have been to the Alpharetta/Roswell area as well as Clayton County and the differences are very stark. I was in the northern end of Clayton County and it looked run down and somewhat scary. In Alpharetta I saw alot of strip malls and lots of what I think of as "ritzy" places.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That in fact has been the case. I have been to the Alpharetta/Roswell area as well as Clayton County and the differences are very stark. I was in the northern end of Clayton County and it looked run down and somewhat scary. In Alpharetta I saw alot of strip malls and lots of what I think of as "ritzy" places.
Alpharetta is 'New'.

Until the 90's many people thought it was 'Too Far' away. Celestine Sibley, who wrote for the AJC, lived in Crabapple and wrote amusing anecdotes about life in the country. Then Alpharetta was discovered--400 was completed and the rest is history.

The city will continue to push north. The word from those who live beyond Alpharetta in the new city? of Milton is that life is good.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM

64 posts, read 91,777 times
The northside of the metro is more developed and in some people's opnion's overdeveloped. It is true that a lot of old money and new money lives on the northside of Atlanta but there are plently of middle and working class communities on the northside as well.

As more and more people flood the Atlanta metro area the developers will build more on the near southside and probablly push out lower-economic groups into the far out suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta