Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Tampa and Orlando are not in the American South.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post11048074
Ooh, uppin the ol' ante on me there. Go on and bring out the big guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Ooh, uppin the ol' ante on me there. Go on and bring out the big guns.
Just havin' a li'l fun...

...and settin' thangs straight!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
Quote:
I think I'm with aries on this one. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.

Besides, on what do you base your prediction? Is it because Atlanta has already had its 'time' for growth and now it's Charlotte's? If so, that's pretty shaky. Some cities stop growing for various reasons and then there are some cities that have grown for decades and just keep on growing (Chicago, LA, New York, e.g.).

By the way you may be right about the days of breakneck growth being behind us, but if that's the case, believe me it will affect Charlotte just as much as Atlanta. Though I have no doubt Charlotte will continue to grow, I think its growth will continue more or less to mirror that of Atlanta and other Sunbelt cities, more or less.
Very good post!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
I think I'm with aries on this one. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.
Some cities stop growing for various reasons and then there are some cities that have grown for decades and just keep on growing (Chicago, LA, New York, e.g.).

(see highlighted above)...and Atlanta has reached this status of a city--especially since we are the Capital of the American South. That's what all of the "southern wannabe-Atlantas" and the "haters-from-the-rust-belt/northeast" fail to realize.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Just havin' a li'l fun...

...and settin' thangs straight!
Indeed. Keep up the good work, good sir.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM

183 posts, read 230,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
wishful thinking?

Charlotte Chamber - Economic Development

Raleigh is the fastest growing metro in the US and Charlotte is like 5th or 6th.
And Georgia has no academic triangle.

the point.
Atlant has much more popualtion than Charlotte that much is true. But Charlotte is 2nd largest financial center next to NYC and to say that Charlotte is not in ATL's leagues is not the truth. Were in a good position to get more because NC is more business friendly than GA.
CHarlotte is Not in the same league Atlanta is A Betta World city and Charlotte isnt There are a ton of things that i can list that makes Charlotte not in the same league as Atlanta

Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM

97 posts, read 355,682 times
Was in Charlotte a month ago. The downtown area is nice but prolly get bored after a few days of that. The stadium is cool downtown though.

Wasn't very impressed with the nicer golf suburbs on the south side. The architecture/construction seemed a little dated.

Biggest complaint though is took 45 minutes to find a casual Mexican taco restaurant. Atlanta has them on every corner.

Read a couple of these Atlanta threads........ To me, Atlanta is a collection of various cities and neighborhoods with different feels and vibes. NYC is incomparable and in a total league of it's own. Nothing else like it.

The common denominator though is every little area at least has at least one cheap taco place to grab some tacos and beer. Yeah !!

Last edited by Marka; 02-17-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
wishful thinking?

Charlotte Chamber - Economic Development

Raleigh is the fastest growing metro in the US and Charlotte is like 5th or 6th.
Numerically, the growth of metro Charlotte and the Triangle doesn't touch metro Atlanta's growth. Metro Atlanta grew by 1,128,271 people from 2000-2008. In that same period, metro Charlotte grew by 371,274 and the Triangle grew by 357,666. The general rule is that the larger a place gets, the lower its percentage of growth. NYC growing at a 25% rate at its size would be the nightmare of nightmares.

Quote:
And Georgia has no academic triangle.
Atlanta has Emory, GA Tech, GA State, Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, Spelman, etc. Atlanta's not hurting at all in terms of academic institutions.

Quote:
Atlant has much more popualtion than Charlotte that much is true. But Charlotte is 2nd largest financial center next to NYC
Correction: we are the 2nd largest banking center next to NYC. And that might not even still be true since Wachovia is no longer an independent company.

Quote:
and to say that Charlotte is not in ATL's leagues is not the truth.
It is ABSOLUTELY true. Metro Atlanta is over three times as large as metro Charlotte with much more of everything that we have and then some. Atlanta has four major league professional sports teams; we only have two. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. Atlanta's venues are larger. Atlanta has more corporate headquarters. Atlanta has a much larger metro GDP. Atlanta has more colleges and universities. And so on and so forth...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
THIS LIST IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Marietta to Gastonia - NOT - Gastonia - home of the hick
You must of never been to Marietta hicks with good money
Alpharetta to COncord - ARE YOU CRAZY!!!
OMG easily comparable
Kannapolis to Roswell - NOT
Same as above very suburban with decent transit, few years ago both were just farms now huge suburban towns
Buford to Davidson or Cornelius - A little. Davidson or Cornelius has a highier income
Fayetteville to Fort Mill SC - NOT
I compared these because of a mindset that is in these suburbs, that they are better off living there then in the city
Kennesaw to Kings Mountain - NOT NOT
You have to be blind Kennesaw and Kings mountain look exactly like each other both are known for valient battles fought on their slopes and both are really expensive to live in and are very independent suburbs with own identity
Riverdale to Monroe NOT NOT
Both cities are drive thru cities, where you drive thru to get somewhere else and maybe stop at Walmart. You could easily see why I compared the two Compare GA Hwy 85(Riverdale) to ROosevelt Hwy/US 74(Monroe)
LaGrange to Hickory - Not sure
Both are important cities in their respective Metro area are but are apart of larger Metro
Sandy Springs to Huntersville - NOT Sandy Springs is upper income- suburban/Urban
This one was a stretch but I do see the similarites Huntersville is home to alot of Upper Middle class familes and is centered around amajor route coming from the main city. Sandy Springs(Roswell Rd) to Huntersville(Statesville Ave or Rd)
Have you ever ben to any of these places?
I was born in Charlotte lived there off and on for 10 years and now live in Atlanta area so yeah I think I know what I'm talking about

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I was born in Charlotte lived there off and on for 10 years and now live in Atlanta area so yeah I think I know what I'm talking about
Marrietta = Gastonia. THAT IS RIDICULOUS. Marrietta is the county seat for a county that has over 700,000 people; Lockheed is there; several high end hotels, etc...; corporate offices; Walton, Lassiter High schools (a couple of the best in he country) ---I will leave it at that. Won't even bother to go into the others. On the other hand I think I will: Alpharetta = Concord. ARE YOU CRAZY? Alpharetta, which is filled will million dollar homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta