Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
So did the class system factor play A role in Sandy Springs becoming A city, So it remove itself from A certain area or was because they want better services from fulton county?
Not just one factor, but Sandy Springs and John's Creek both broke off so they could get a handle on controling their own services mainly - but yes, I know people who live in both communities and SOME of it had to do with a class/race issue as well... at least with a certain percentage of voters in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 AM

257 posts, read 669,552 times
Great explanation. I actually lived in Charlotte for eight years and never really heard of negative race relations. I am sure they exist but everyone pretty much seemed cool with everyone else.

I have noticed that race is always an issue on this board but if you go to the Charlotte board it's rarely brought up. Also, the Charlotte board seems much more positive on its' city than this board. I don't get it and it is sort of unnerving since I am thinking about relocating to Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
I have noticed that race is always an issue on this board but if you go to the Charlotte board it's rarely brought up. Also, the Charlotte board seems much more positive on its' city than this board.
I would go out on a limb and say that some of the negativity is from people without a frame of reference for comparison, except Atlanta in the past. It's also pretty usual that folks with a negative POV may be more likely to post than those who are neutral or positive.

Most people I talk to in my daily routine are either new to area and are happy here in comparison to place X, or they're long time residents who vary in their opinions. Some long time residents see the changes in the last 20 years and aren't thrilled with them, and that causes some negativity.

As for race relations, I'm no expert, but I haven't seen big problems in the circles I'm in or the area where I live.

Charlotte's growth is relatively new and the challenges facing Atlanta aren't as pronounced in Charlotte. Perhaps that accounts for the perceived less negativity on the forum.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,851 times
[quote=atlantagreg30127;3680644]"I have an aunt who lives in Charlotte and I once asked her if a black candidate would be well received in Charlotte if they ran for Mayor, and her reply was, "Oh no no no.. folks here have seen what happened down there in Atlanta with all that, so that's not going to happen here". It shows you the mentality of the locals up there so long as it remains majority-white I think."

OOOOPS! I guess your Aunt was not in CLT in the 70's and 80's when Harvey Gantt was in office. He was a County Commissioner from 1974 until 1979. From 81-83 he was Mayor Pro Tem and was then served as the first black mayor of Charlotte from 1983-1987. He was a very highly regarded politician and Architect who, I think, still lives in Charlotte. To your point, there has not been a black mayor in recent years, but I would venture that there would be less resistance today than there was 20+ years ago.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
Why race relations in Atlanta so bad..................But in Charlotte it pretty good. I mean both are new south cities.
I don't see many issues from where I sit, and I live in a neighborhood which is a mix of white black, as it my workplace.

A few people with an agenda (or simply with a strong point of view) can easily change the flavor of an online forum. I've seen one person effectively destroy a forum for a while even though that forum had hundreds of active participants.

In other words, online forums don't always represent reality.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As for race relations, I'm no expert, but I haven't seen big problems in the circles I'm in or the area where I live.
In the South it's one of those things that can go either way at the quick drop of a hat.

Example: I live in West Cobb. I've been in stores before where a black customer will come in and buy something, smile and chat up with the sales people about anything (kids, traffic, local news), and not one observation is made of her race at all - it'll be a complete non issue. Ten minutes later someone can come in who's black with a Jamaican accent, who's maybe a bit pushy or rude, and within 5 seconds of her leaving, the "N word" is blurped out by half the sales staff. It can go from 0-to-ugly really quick if someone comes in with an attitude, but to be fair I guess, if a rude white gal pulls the same stunt you'll hear the sales people do the "redneck trash" talk - it just isn't as potent as the other word.

Quote:
Charlotte's growth is relatively new and the challenges facing Atlanta aren't as pronounced in Charlotte. Perhaps that accounts for the perceived less negativity on the forum.
That's why I think at SOME point, Charlotte will experience some growing pains, and I am hoping they do keep using Atlanta as a "don't do this THAT way" reference point.

In the late 70s and early 80s, many still referred to Atlanta's overall feel as a "large town" instead of a large city, and indeed I can tell you, when I came here in '84 it was a COMPLETELY different place to live than it is now. Now it's a mega city with all the problems that go with it.
Charlotte is now in that "large town" zone - where it goes from there completely is in control of how good the city leaders and planners are (ours weren't so hot).

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM

257 posts, read 669,552 times
Thanks Neil. That actually makes me feel better and I do agree that "negative" people tend to come to places to vent versus people who are happy in their situation. It's not a bad thing Also, I think cities with a lot of transplants get more negative comments than cities with a large population of long time residents.

I hope the race relations get better if they are bad. I am in Chicago and one thing I notice is that it is MUCH more segregated up here than it was in the south. It's kind of weird.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM

355 posts, read 992,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
In the South it's one of those things that can go either way at the quick drop of a hat.

Example: I live in West Cobb. I've been in stores before where a black customer will come in and buy something, smile and chat up with the sales people about anything (kids, traffic, local news), and not one observation is made of her race at all - it'll be a complete non issue. Ten minutes later someone can come in who's black with a Jamaican accent, who's maybe a bit pushy or rude, and within 5 seconds of her leaving, the "N word" is blurped out by half the sales staff. It can go from 0-to-ugly really quick if someone comes in with an attitude, but to be fair I guess, if a rude white gal pulls the same stunt you'll hear the sales people do the "redneck trash" talk - it just isn't as potent as the other word.

That's why I think at SOME point, Charlotte will experience some growing pains, and I am hoping they do keep using Atlanta as a "don't do this THAT way" reference point.

In the late 70s and early 80s, many still referred to Atlanta's overall feel as a "large town" instead of a large city, and indeed I can tell you, when I came here in '84 it was a COMPLETELY different place to live than it is now. Now it's a mega city with all the problems that go with it.
Charlotte is now in that "large town" zone - where it goes from there completely is in control of how good the city leaders and planners are (ours weren't so hot).
Good point Greg, I am a African-American and I hate when the R word is use, Just as much as the N word is use. I think the behavior of SOME people is of there own personality.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM

315 posts, read 761,183 times
Quote:
I would go out on a limb and say that some of the negativity is from people without a frame of reference for comparison, except Atlanta in the past. It's also pretty usual that folks with a negative POV may be more likely to post than those who are neutral or positive.

Amen honey! And that is why I either stay away from message boards or never take anything too literally. I have realized that most people who frequent message boards are usually those whom are outcasted from the real world and have no clue of what reality is. While many on this board have more negative opinion the people I talk too in my day life whom are highly social have nothing but positive feedback about atlanta. Since I don't know who is telling the truth I will make my judgement for when I move there in about two months.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
Amen honey! And that is why I either stay away from message boards or never take anything too literally. I have realized that most people who frequent message boards are usually those whom are outcasted from the real world and have no clue of what reality is.
I think that's a little harsh.

For people who have interests which span international boundaries, online forums are one of the most effective and least expensive ways to communicate, to exchange ideas, and to meet other people with similar interests.

This is especially true of techie types like myself. Things like Linux (which you may or may not be aware of) or Firefox would likely not exist at all were it not for various methods of online communication.

Yes, you get a certain proportion of whiners, and people who are doing little more than trying to get attention, but that's true of any public forum (electronic or otherwise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta