Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 05:37 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,907 times

Advertisements

Nothing says safety like having to walk through metal detectors.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 1,978 times
I work part time at Lenox as a sales associate and the past couple of months people have been walking through the mall more than anything. I have noticed that most of the customers I have been waiting on have been from outside of Atlanta due the mall being a major draw for shopping in the southeast. Simon mall owners could do more with keeping the parking decks better lit, closing some of the department store entrances (to force people to enter certain entrances to maintain security) and letting the drug dogs patrol the parking lots to keep people from hanging out and smoking pot (that's just not the place for it).

Old 01-02-2021, 07:58 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,443 times
Well if metal detectors can be part of most public schools these days, they can be for malls as well. It's interesting hearing the distaste for this, especially since there was a massive conversation in defense of carrying. It's then difficult to see this as anything other than expressing and lamenting anxieties about city life. Let there be metal detectors. I doubt it'd change anything, especially since much of this violence is outside rather than inside. It'll take more than just celebrating policing.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:04 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Well if metal detectors can be part of most public schools these days, they can be for malls as well. It's interesting hearing the distaste for this, especially since there was a massive conversation in defense of carrying. It's then difficult to see this as anything other than expressing and lamenting anxieties about city life. Let there be metal detectors. I doubt it'd change anything, especially since much of this violence is outside rather than inside. It'll take more than just celebrating policing.
The situation at Lenox Square is not normal, nor should we be trying to normalize it. I can't think of any other upscale shopping center in America that has had to resort to such measures.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:08 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,443 times
I agree it shoudn't be normalized, but it's already a foregone situation. I don't know if The Grove in LA compares equally to you (?) but they've got some heavy policing of the area, including metal detectors that everyone has to go through and the likes. Someone in LA can vouch for if they're still there.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I agree it shoudn't be normalized, but it's already a foregone situation. I don't know if The Grove in LA compares equally to you (?) but they've got some heavy policing of the area, including metal detectors that everyone has to go through and the likes. Someone in LA can vouch for if they're still there.
Does The Grove compare equally? Not really.

For one, the experience is different in the heart of LA in that the main upscale shopping destination is a walkable urban district (Rodeo Drive and surrounding streets in Beverly Hills). Two, The Grove lacking in upscale department stores and boutiques (no Tiffany & Co., Coach, Louis Vuittion, etc.), which typically attract a different type of clientale. But besides all of that, it's an outdoor mall.

IMO, the best equivalent to Lenox Square in the Greater LA area would be South Coast Plaza way down in Irvine.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Quote:
Where are metal detectors part of most public schools? Is this the case in ATL city schools?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:12 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,300,828 times
I haven’t been keeping up with this. What’s the deal with crime there??? Why would this be seen as necessary?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Does The Grove compare equally? Not really.

For one, the experience is different in the heart of LA in that the main upscale shopping destination is a walkable urban district (Rodeo Drive and surrounding streets in Beverly Hills). Two, The Grove lacking in upscale department stores and boutiques (no Tiffany & Co., Coach, Louis Vuittion, etc.), which typically attract a different type of clientale. But besides all of that, it's an outdoor mall.

IMO, the best equivalent to Lenox Square in the Greater LA area would be South Coast Plaza way down in Irvine.
There's actually a nice, fairly large Nordstrom at The Grove.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
There's actually a nice, fairly large Nordstrom at The Grove.
Although better than Macy's or Dillard's, Nordstrom isn't upscale.

It's still a solid tier below Neimans and Saks, which are actually upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta