U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 18,534 times

Advertisements

My 22 yr. old daughter with 2 yr. old grandson are looking to rent an apt. in a county that is condusive for family life. She needs a good pre-school program and an apt. that is close enough to a bus line (as a back-up in case of car failure). Good schools, healthcare programs and other support system for a single mom. Can anyone recommend a county/community that is affordable, low crime area that is not too far from downtown Atlanta?

Thank you,
CherylP

Last edited by CherylP; 12-29-2006 at 11:09 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:23 PM

465 posts, read 2,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylP View Post
My 22 yr. old daughter with 2 yr. old grandson are looking to rent an apt. in a county that is condusive for family life. She needs a good pre-school program and an apt. that is close enough to a bus line (as a back-up in case of car failure). Good schools, healthcare programs and other support system for a single mom. Can anyone recommend a county/community that is affordable, low crime area that is not too far from downtown Atlanta?

Thank you,
CherylP
I suggest getting whatever she needs to get done to her car to make it dependable. Atlanta is NOT the place to live and have to depend on the bus or the train. This is not New York City, and the public transportation here sucks, as it is very limited to certain areas. This is a car city, period. Areas close to downtown? Will she be working down there? Areas close to downtown are either not THAT close, not good neighborhoods, or expensive. Druid Hills area, Smyrna (fairly close, about 15 minute drive) Howell Mill, parts of Decatur, and Midtown and Buckhead. Then there are communities to the south like Riverdale, Jonesboro, and College Park, but again, not the safest and the schools suck down there. Basically to live REALLY be close to downtown, AND have good schools, AND pulic transportation, AND be safe, is going to be a bit of a challenge, but maybe not impossible.

What healthcare programs are you speaking of? Does she not have health insurance? There are 2 or 3 hospitals in the downtown area, and also clinics, this won't be a problem. Plenty of neighborhoods in Atlanta are condusive for raising a family. Just don't move to certain downtown areas. They are trying to revitalize downtown here for living, but it hasn't quite caught on. Most people work downtown, and that's it. They have some condos and apartments there, but they aren't cheap. An apartment in Atlanta near the city that you're not ashamed to call home is going to cost you around $700 and up. Promove is an apartment relocation service here in Atlanta, no charge to you. They are very helpful. Go online and google Promove. They are very familiar with just about every apartment community in this city. Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 21,380 times
Dear Cheryl, i would recommend smyrna, which is in the northwest pocket of atlanta. i live in smyrna and chose this city because of it's easy access to downtown/midtown, the airport, and the family-friendly community. a friend of mine has some rental properties, and because smyrna is in cobb county, there is access to the cobb county bus line. your rental options will include small homes in safe neighborhoods as well as apartment complexes with a good range of rental rates. good luck and may God bless your daughter's transition.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 93,851 times
Cheryl,

I'm a single mother, too. I live in Douglasville, because the prices for homes here are extremely well-set. Altanta, in general, is not a good place to live without a car, though. We don't have much in the way of major crime out here, and the schools are average (I'm from Richmond, VA, where the schools are outstanding). I do know of some homes/apartments in the area that might be rentable or affordable for purchase, if you need some help. I also know of some closer to the Atlanta area (although we're only about 20 mins away). Healthcare here for wokring parents is called Peachcare. It's for families who work but can't afford healthcare (I think its income limit is 300% of the poverty level). There is speculation that they're running out of funding, however; so I don't know how long it will last. There are efforts going on to save it, but I don't know where they stand. After that, all that's left is medicaid.

Again, let me know if you need more assistance.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,426,542 times
East Point....I live 5 minutes from downtown in a safe, beautiful neighborhood with a Marta (subway) station 7-8 blocks from my house. I'm not really familiar with much rental property in the area, but I know there are apartments around. Check out the websites if you think you might be interested:

http://www.eastpointneighbors.com/ good site with links for different neighborhood with photos, churches, schools/daycare, recreation, etc.

http://www.eastpointcity.org/ Official City of East Point website

Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 21,599 times
Default Atlanta-really, this area is great!

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][color="SeaGreen"]
I moved here (Smyrna Ga) from McLean, Va in 1980 with my new husband. We didn't know anyone here, no relatives, etc. We have two boys who went to public schools. Big high school, racially diverse( how do you say, very rich to kinda poor, White 60%, Black 20%, Hispanic 15%,other oriental?5%?)No disasters, no fights, I mean, NO high school fights!! Both boys. upper 15% academically, very social, played sports, very popular (both were Eagle Scouts). One boy graduated from GA Tech, the other son is attending Ga Tech on the 7-10 year plan!!! Both boys, and their friends, consider themselves to be privileged by the friendships/relationships they made while in high school.
Single moms with kids are everywhere...I like Smyrna/Vinings area, but I hear Lawrenceville, Duluth, Douglasville, Marietta, Kennesaw, Stone Mountain, College Park, all have nice areas, good sports/scouting for kids.I have to agree with the public transportation commments from others: I swear, I haven't seen a public transportation bus in ages!!!!
AND>>> I'm sure there is crime here, but I live 12 miles from downtown Atlanta and except for a stolen hubcap, or dogs running away, I can't think of anyone who has been victumized by a crime. Well, ok, maybe, there are a few things.....but no bodily injury!!! Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:28 AM

34 posts, read 276,760 times
Hi-
I recommend the area around N, Druid Hills, Clairmont, Lavista. Many good apartments, great residential nieghborhoods, amenities out the yin-yang, and the best schools inside the perimeter (sagamore hills elementary, druid hills/lakeside HS, etc). It's almost got a suburban feel but its well inside the perimeter---less than 5 miles from njust about anywhere you'd want to go inside the perimtetery. Neighborhood names to look for: Leafmore, Sagamore, Medlock, Clairmont Heights, etc. It's the kind of place a kid could walk to school and you'd feel ok about it. Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 PM

115 posts, read 515,449 times
I see a lot of comments here. How are the people in those areas? I mean are they rude? I'm looking at diffrent areas but is Douglasville, Kennesaw, and alpharetta good areas to think about?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM

21 posts, read 121,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
East Point....I live 5 minutes from downtown in a safe, beautiful neighborhood with a Marta (subway) station 7-8 blocks from my house. I'm not really familiar with much rental property in the area, but I know there are apartments around. Check out the websites if you think you might be interested:

EPN Online Home Page good site with links for different neighborhood with photos, churches, schools/daycare, recreation, etc.

East Point, GA - Official Website Official City of East Point website
I agree with East point. You can also find houses for rent, pretty affordable..Semmes Park and Jefferson Park are good neighborhoods.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM

145 posts, read 559,682 times
I also agree with East Point. Great affordable, yet overlooked place that is close to Downtown and public transportation. East Point is its own city (like Decatur) and the older neighborhoods would be preferred (Semmes Park, Jefferson Park, Conley Hills, & Colonial Hills). East Point is in Fulton County, so there are numerous programs available to residents. On the other side of the city (closer to Buckhead) look for rental property along N. Druid Hills corridor. It is Dekalb County, but I would expect a lot of programs since close to Emory. Marta Station is not as close, but buses travel regularly. It is always difficult when trying to find affordable close in places for single women w/ children. I have to ask myself would I let my sister live in a specific area alone??? I would be ok with either of these two. Also, Ktloo's post has very nice areas also, but public transportation is not as convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta