Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 10:13 AM

76 posts, read 99,587 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I visited Atlanta last year and I really like the hospitality, the architecture/history and he modernity(there were festivals going on). I enjoyed being there, so now I'm considering moving there. I'm a self-employed bachelor so I wouldn't be working there, I want to go there to enjoy myself.

My requirements:
1-Right in the middle of the action, ideally right next to a nightclub or bar. As long as it as safe, not too crazy. I heard some nightclubs have fights, not sure if that happens in Atlanta.
2-I enjoy walking a lot, somewhere where I could have most things available at a walking distance.
3-District targeted towards young people, college students or urban professionals.
4-Building which are very tolerant and lax about the rules. I noticed some buildings are targeted towards young people while others towards families. In the one's towards families there's a lot of rules and people don't want you bringing guest, nor they they want small get togethers in your room.

My budget is $1600-$1700 a month for a studio or one bedroom apartment. Honestly, i don't care how the place looks, what i care is the location and the lax enforcement of the rules or that the building is targeted towards young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 08:43 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
Hey guys,

I visited Atlanta last year and I really like the hospitality, the architecture/history and he modernity(there were festivals going on). I enjoyed being there, so now I'm considering moving there. I'm a self-employed bachelor so I wouldn't be working there, I want to go there to enjoy myself.

My requirements:
1-Right in the middle of the action, ideally right next to a nightclub or bar. As long as it as safe, not too crazy. I heard some nightclubs have fights, not sure if that happens in Atlanta.
2-I enjoy walking a lot, somewhere where I could have most things available at a walking distance.
3-District targeted towards young people, college students or urban professionals.
4-Building which are very tolerant and lax about the rules. I noticed some buildings are targeted towards young people while others towards families. In the one's towards families there's a lot of rules and people don't want you bringing guest, nor they they want small get togethers in your room.

My budget is $1600-$1700 a month for a studio or one bedroom apartment. Honestly, i don't care how the place looks, what i care is the location and the lax enforcement of the rules or that the building is targeted towards young people.
Start your search with typically very active Intown/ITP (Inside-the-Perimeter) neighborhoods/districts like Midtown Atlanta, Decatur, Little Five Points/Inman Park and Old Fourth Ward.

And, if necessary, expand your search to other typically fairly active Intown/ITP areas like West Midtown, Sweet Auburn, Oakland, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, East Atlanta Village, Glenwood Park and Grant Park.

The Cheshire Bridge Road corridor, Lindbergh, Buckhead and Brookhaven might also be areas to consider during a more expansive search.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:42 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,249 times
Midtown, Westside, Cabbagetown, Virginia Highlands, Buckhead, etc.*

*which are all transforming because of COVID; no one knows what scenes will look like even in 2021. I suggest watching these places with an eye to how quickly they rebound from COVID, or how often folk in the area disregard COVID protocols.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:08 AM

@born2roll
i appreciate it, I'll look around.

@seussie
Yes, pandemic is changing things. What do you think are the differences between midtown west, buckhead and downtown?

Old 12-22-2020, 02:13 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,249 times
I'd say that Midtown has a healthy mix of chain restaurants and pedestrian traffic where it feels lively, but it's also been the center of some issues people currently have, like racing and violent incidents at clubs. It's not my cup of tea anymore, because the community I vibed with has moved out. But I still get the sense it'd be a great place for dating and going out. You'd be in the mix of things in the area and a bit south of it–I don't often think about Midtown in relation to something like Decatur, which it is parallel to. So I think Midtown would be a bit more resilient in business.

The westside, across from 75/85 has a little bit of that too. Even though you go through the GaTech area from Midtown, it feels a bit "older" to me, so not 18-30, more like 27+. It also has my favorite upscale restaurants, so I am biased and prefer that. With the available land on that side, there's a growing list of things to do, like throwing axes, bowling, golfing, there's going to be a mini golf place (or is there already?). Westside Park will eclipse Piedmont Park, but also, these things really are so near each other that competition only matters depending on where you're coming from to get there.

Downtown looks a bit like struggle, but if you hop over to Reynoldstown and the likes, these businesses have really worked on adjusting to COVID. There's so much money in the area, that I think even with business closures, something will fill the spaces. You are also next to the Eastside beltline, which is the more densely walked/biked area, near a brewery and other places like a grocery store. I have heard complaints that the area is turning into a "bro-y" place, even something like Ladybird (which was more diverse at the beginning) feels very postgraduate UGA-ish. That's not bad if you're into it, right?

My preferred places (I'm a young-old 33) in Atlanta are Summerhill, West End area, and Westside. I actually rarely go to Buckhead–most of what it offers in glitzy snobby restaurants and shops, I can get in Midtown and the westside. But the southside, west and southwest sides, feel more... "local" to me, if that makes sense? Like, there's still a bunch of mom and pops. BUT, it's not the prettiest, because mom and pops are getting decimated. And it's not for everyone, because these areas are still having rough transitions through different waves of gentrification.

Nonetheless, I feel like, if you're a straight dude with a range of interests, Midtown or westside would be for the swanky; the southern tip of O4W to Grant Park is for the socialite; south, west, and westside are for the swanky or the creative types who see Virginia Highlands and East Atlanta Village as lost causes. If you're a straight dude who likes watching TV and going to the gym to end your day drinking out, actually, Buckhead would be a good fit–it's really easy to bar hop there but folk (IN ALL THESE NEIGHBORHOODS) are clique-ish. The clique-ishness abates in a clockwise manner.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:58 PM

@seussie
Hey,
You are very knowledgeable thanks. Maybe I should be a bit more specific. I'm a straight guy, a few years younger than you and i'm looking to mingle more with the college crowd or the young crowd maybe tourists at hostels as well.

1-My favorite place in NYC is the LES. A bar/nightclub like the DL in rivington. I like that is has a lot of bars but its not as grungy as Williamsburg nor as preppy as Soho is a inbetween. Where would I think that in Atlanta?
2-Where's a good place for bars/stripclubs/nightclubs? where its lively?
3-I definitely vibe with the sort of well-off hipster crowd the sort of trust fund college hippies, are there those types in Atlanta?(I'm not like them but I've lived around in Brooklyn and enjoyed since they have good taste in music.
4- Can the cliquishness be ovecome on buckhead or would it be ? I'm more into open people who are down to hang out.etc.
5-Given this info, where do you think i should be looking into?

Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 PM

821 posts, read 725,639 times
Buckhead or Midtown are easily the top two.

Also to consider:
  • West Midtown
  • Virginia Highland
  • Inman Park

Old 12-22-2020, 07:20 PM

@atlhawks
What's the difference between west midtown, midtown and imman park?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:57 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
What's the difference between west midtown, midtown and imman park?
West Midtown is an ascending mixed-use urban district near-Northwest of Downtown that is centered primarily along Marietta Street and Howell Mill Road

Midtown is a near-Northside (just north/due-north of Downtown) business/entertainment/residential district along Peachtree, West Peachtree, Spring, Juniper streets and Piedmont Avenue that abuts Atlanta’s popular and beloved historic green space at Piedmont Park.

Midtown and West Midtown are separated by the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector and the Georgia Tech campus.

Inman Park is a near-Eastside urban district, with a historic residential area and a linear green space park area, wedged between and ascending Northeast Beltline quadrant (lined with shops, bars, restaurants, markets and high-density residential dwellings) on the west and a funky, hip and eclectic (and maybe even slightly eccentric) Little Five Points area on the east.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:18 PM

@born2roll
Where would it be best for bachelors, singles, urban professionals? Where would I find the least families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta