Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 09:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Really?

There was no violent crime in Buckhead from 2004-2014?
On the scale we're seeing now, no. Not even close.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:37 PM

198 posts, read 153,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Really?

There was no violent crime in Buckhead from 2004-2014?
No, shootings weren't a weekly occurrence that invariably involved a "lounge" of some sort. Why do you think Buckhead residents are suddenly up in arms about crime and exploring de-annexing from Atlanta?

Old 01-25-2021, 09:45 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
No, shootings weren't a weekly occurrence that invariably involved a "lounge" of some sort. Why do you think Buckhead residents are suddenly up in arms about crime and exploring de-annexing from Atlanta?
Agree with this, Downtown Buckhead, Lenox, ect was not a popular destination for random acts of gun violence amid public areas until fairly recently it seems. Buckhead did have issues with violence at house parties, and by no means am I excusing it, but the more recent events have been taken to another level.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:40 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Agree with this, Downtown Buckhead, Lenox, ect was not a popular destination for random acts of gun violence amid public areas until fairly recently it seems. Buckhead did have issues with violence at house parties, and by no means am I excusing it, but the more recent events have been taken to another level.
The Buckhead Village had over a dozen people gunned down when things were running wild back around the early 2000s.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:44 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Buckhead Village had over a dozen people gunned down when things were running wild back around the early 2000s.
Yep. Buckhead has had to contend with issues of violent crime in the not-too-distant past.

It was the very high-profile act of violence that was the double-stabbing homicide involving NFL legend Ray Lewis during Atlanta’s berth as host of the 2000 Super Bowl that really helped facilitate the demise of the rowdy Buckhead party scene of years and decades past.

A double murder leaves permanent mark on Buckhead (11Alive Atlanta)

How Ray Lewis’ Super Bowl night in Buckhead changed Atlanta forever: ‘After Ray Lewis, Buckhead was on fire’ - The story of Buckhead Village, Ray Lewis, and an exuberant nightlife that vanished from Atlanta. (SB Nation)

I have a friend who is an ex-Atlanta cop who used to do foot patrols in the rowdy Buckhead Village of that era on weekend nights.

Working that patrol as one of only a relative handful of cops in a sea of drunken rowdy (and often armed) party goers was one of the major reasons why he retired from APD at a pretty relatively early age.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yep. Buckhead has had to contend with issues of violent crime in the not-too-distant past.

It was the very high-profile act of violence that was the double-stabbing homicide involving NFL legend Ray Lewis during Atlanta’s berth as host of the 2000 Super Bowl that really helped facilitate the demise of the rowdy Buckhead party scene of years and decades past.

A double murder leaves permanent mark on Buckhead (11Alive Atlanta)

How Ray Lewis’ Super Bowl night in Buckhead changed Atlanta forever: ‘After Ray Lewis, Buckhead was on fire’ - The story of Buckhead Village, Ray Lewis, and an exuberant nightlife that vanished from Atlanta. (SB Nation)

I have a friend who is an ex-Atlanta cop who used to do foot patrols in the rowdy Buckhead Village of that era on weekend nights.

Working that patrol as one of only a relative handful of cops in a sea of drunken rowdy (and often armed) party goers was one of the major reasons why he retired from APD at a pretty relatively early age.
Quote:
Seven more murders occurred in Buckhead between the early morning hours of Jan. 31, 2000, and Nov. 11, 2003, while the city was watched by everyone. Residents were scared. Black Mafia Family (BMF), a drug trafficking organization and regulars in the Buckhead scene, would put the final nail in the coffin in 2003.

P. Diddy’s former bodyguard Anthony “Wolf” Jones and Wolf’s childhood friend Lamont “Riz” Girdy were both shot and killed outside of Chaos that November. Demetrius Flenory, better known as “Big Meech”, was charged with the murders, but was never indicted after claiming self defense, having been shot in the buttocks.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Exactly.

Give me a break, we've been through this EXACT thing before. So if you think getting rid of bars/clubs is going to solve the problem, maybe it only solves the problem TEMPORARILY.

I lived in Buckhead for years, loved Buckhead, and love Buckhead still... but the community needs to dig a lot deeper into what is causing crime than to just scapegoat a few places that let me guess... cater to an African American clientele?

Forming its own city is a good place to start. Instead of closing down establishments, though, how about just policing them effectively? In the old days, APD pretty much ignored patrolling Buckhead, which the community was fine with because they knew that would cause crime, which would give them a valid reason to close everything down. It worked. But as you can see today, all it did was put a Band-aid on a problem which has now come loose because they didn't actually address anything beyond the superficial.

I'm surprised the same voices calling for closing bars/clubs aren't calling for closing the Lenox MARTA station. That's what a lot of people used to blame crime on back in the day. Kind of hard to do now when you can prove the criminals are DRIVING themselves in. So what's next? Close the roads? THINK BIGGER!

Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 PM

Buckhead safety concerns grow, security changes impacted (video) (CBS46 Atlanta)

Old 02-02-2021, 02:34 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
I was just writing a post in another thread, but I think this fits here better. Some people in the northern suburbs tend to think that Buckhead is the "tip of the iceberg", that whatever crime is happening there must be coming from south of there. And sometimes ignorance is a reason, maybe they aren't aware of anything south of there... but there are pretty often racial sentiments behind this.

But this increase in violent crime, especially with the young child getting shot, isn't happening as far as I know, on the south side ITP, it seems to be Buckhead specifically.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:56 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Don't forget that we have resources for crime data besides what's reported by news stations.

https://www.atlantapd.org/i-want-to/...data-downloads

And you'll see that all zones have seen an increase in violent crime during 2020, but Buckhead's percentage increase is remarkably high due to it having been unusually low in comparison to other areas. For those interested, there's also 2021 data now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies